cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transfer Switch

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
I think my TS is dead. No 110v getting through. Any way to jump around it to keep me going while dry camping on a gen? Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Simply put, bypass the transfer switch. My factory one went bad while on a trip. No built in genny. Inverter was wired direct to 120V breaker box.

Another trick to try. Maybe the shore power portion of the ATS is faulty. Move that input to the genny or inverter input.

There is always more than one way to get around a problem.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

ssia2485
Explorer
Explorer
I just eliminated mine all together. I put a 50 amp receptacle on the generator feed and jut plug the shore cord into the 50 amp generator plug when I need generator power. I replaced my ATS twice. They are cheaply built and unreliable.

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
Ordered a new one and swapped a couple of wires inside for now. Disabled wire to the inverter to keep the smoke in. Chino

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Chinolbz wrote:
No damage inside the TS. Panel breakers are good. Power to one side of the points. It won't engage the relay to move the arm to power up the AC side?
OK so just remove and connect the appropriate wires. Large wire nut or if there is room on the TS connectors for both wires use them.

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Chinolbz wrote:
No damage inside the TS. Panel breakers are good. Power to one side of the points. It won't engage the relay to move the arm to power up the AC side?

Make & Part number would help. Is it just a transfer switch or is it also a surge guard?
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Really need to open the box and inspect for heat damage or loose connections.
Post a picture of the inside if you can.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most common fault is tripped CB followed by ATS, gen, wiring. The inverter has nothing to do with getting gen power to the rig.

You NEED to isolate the problem area. From all we know you're getting AC to the rigs main CB panel and the problem is there.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Chinolbz
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all who replied. What is the common fault? Timer or energizing relay. My setup has the inverter as default (works fine) Post and gen when energized I think. Chino

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
ADAD437 wrote:
if transfer switch goes bad it should default to generator therefore you should have power when gen. is running. been there done that.
I thought standard TS was connected to the cord as default. If you start the generator there is often a 20 second delay to switch.

And when things fail they don't necessarily reset to some position. Could be a loose or burnt connection for all we know.

Yeah, the last two RVs I've owned were wired this way. If it was me, I'd grab a meter and track it down. My previous RV had a loose neutral in the main circuit box and I wasn't getting 110v from either shore or generator. So I'd check there first, then move up the line to the Transfer Switch checking inputs from both shore and generator as well as the output from the TS in both cases.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
time2roll wrote:
ADAD437 wrote:
if transfer switch goes bad it should default to generator therefore you should have power when gen. is running. been there done that.
I thought standard TS was connected to the cord as default. If you start the generator there is often a 20 second delay to switch.

And when things fail they don't necessarily reset to some position. Could be a loose or burnt connection for all we know.
X2

I would not rewire until it's established that the gen is OK. Unfortunately this is a check that most RV's should not do because of their understanding and the safety risks involved. Ditto for rewiring AC.

OP, Check the voltage or get help to isolate the cause.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ADAD437 wrote:

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the GEN leads and the ATS output leads and wire nut or split bolt them together until you can find and electrician to have a look.

ATS is 2 power sources in and 1 power source out. Its just a selector switch.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
ADAD437 wrote:

Not necessarly... the ATS in my unit "Defaults" to generator if it has a choice of shore or gernny.. but if it fails it sticks on shore in most cases (one failure mode stays on "Current source" but the rest go to shore.

Transfer switches come in two main types.. Mine on shore power is "Not energized" that is the solenoids are "off" no current in the coils.. Fire up the genny and about 1 minute later the coils energerize and it transfers.

Another type has two sets of normally open contactors. When shore power comes one set pulls in, Generator pulls in the other.. In some cases neither selects inverter (if it has that option).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times