Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do the slides need the convertor?

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer

Hi.
We have a 2008 Allego 34 QBA. The freightliner FRED version. Sunday, the slides wouldn't come in. I used the 12v disconnect relay switch to disconnect everything for a couple of minutes, reconnected 12V and they worked. We drove to our next spot. No problem, they slide right out. Then again this morning, they wouldn't come in. On a whim, I connected a spare battery I sometimes (thankfully this time) carry, to the house batteries. The slides worked. Then when we got to our current spot, they wouldn't come out. The spare battery did the trick.

I understand that I would need a fully charged house battery to operate when not plugged in, but all of these failures happen even when plugged in to shore power.

Does that implicate my convertor?

Everything else 12V works -- lights, for instance, and even the Levelegs.

I think I'll replace the batteries while we're parked, but should I replace the convertor too?

Am I going down the correct path with this?

Thanks y'all,
Chip

Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.
5 REPLIES 5

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

You might need to have the engine running to get the batteries charged in order to run the slide.

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

beaubeau
Explorer
Explorer

I took the batteries out and they were a bit swollen so I replaced them with 2 new ones.

No change - the slides still don't work.

Any further ideas?

Chip & Nancy (and our furry pack). 2008 Allegro Open Road Freightliner.

Without being plugged in to shore power, do you have power to the lights, fridge, water pump, furnace, etc? Are the new batteries fully charged or partially charged (what is the voltage reading on them)?

Have you checked the fuses (not the breakers, those donโ€™t matter for the slide)

pbeverly
Explorer III
Explorer III

I basically had the same problem. Put slide in at home just fine. Got to campground, wouldn't go out. All other 12v items worked. Went and got a NEW battery, and it has worked fine since. 

So, even plugged in, you need a good battery.

Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

The slides need a charged battery to work. As you already found out, being plugged in will help but not a necessity; but a charged battery is a necessity.