cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Transfer switch

MrWizard
The transfer switch i added between the 2kw inverter. And shore cord used with the Portable generator ,
The new ts is not rv centric, has no 30 second time delay, no containment box comes with it , it switches between power inputs very fast, its rated at 63 amps @ 110v,
It uses a 110vac motor to select between power sources, Normal being the default source, and backup being the secondary input scoure, i put the inverter on the backup supply, so anytime shore cord is plugged into the generator or shore power that source gets used, and it switches to inverter when there no voltage on the Normal inputs, but there is 110v on the inverter/backup input

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08T94Q6NG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

There is no enclosure box, use as is, or create/buy one, it uses two separate isolation contact sets, has a manual switch mode, each comtactor set is two pole switching hot and neutral,
I had to install my own output jumper wires making the outputs common aka linked together
I installed this several weeks ago and i am very happy with it
And its only $43, half the price of the one that failed,
If there is no power on either input , the switch stays where it was last used, ( TS is either or)
But anytime there is sufficient voltage applied to the Normal source input it switches over to Normal the default Primary
source, it is "Break before Make"
Mechanical interlock prevents both sides from being engaged at the same time.

Edited for typos and clarity
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s
13 REPLIES 13

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III

Hey Mr Wizard,  have just found your thread.  Was asking about  TRC/Southwire solid state switch but my post disappeared after the forum changeover. This Chinese gizmo is smaller and cheaper. Is it still running?  Ebay of course have it too, cheaper yet but QC and refund is riskier.  They also have  (looks like) solid state switch, same $35 but  smaller 2x3x5 inch, like two breakers next to  one another: 2P 63A 110V .  I'm curious, how long did your TRC switch last?

MrWizard
Update
The A.T.S.
Is working perfectly,
I'm very satisfied with it
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
I should have caught that
Thank you

Mr. Wizard, you have a PM.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

MrWizard
I should have caught that
Thank you
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard wrote:
This link is for the one that Failed at 7 months of use,

Failed ATS

Sold under several different Brand Names

You need to take "Check this out! " out of the middle of your link, like this:

Failed ATS
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

MrWizard
This link is for the one that Failed at 7 months of use,

Failed ATS

Sold under several different Brand Names
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

ewarnerusa
Nomad
Nomad
Nice, inspiring me for another spring project.
Aspen Trail 2710BH | 470 watts of solar | 2x 6V GC batteries | 100% LED lighting | 1500W PSW inverter | MicroAir on air con | Yamaha 2400 gen

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
MrWizard wrote:
ATS. in operation

This switch has slightly different houseing, but its laid out the same way, mechanically the same thing, it's fast 22 milli second switch over, video has normal normal speed, and slow motion timed sequence

Looks good, its not as fast as a solid state one, but not much slower either, Im just wondering how many switchovers the contactors are rated for.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MrWizard
ATS. in operation

This switch has slightly different houseing, but its laid out the same way, mechanically the same thing, it's fast 22 milli second switch over, video has normal normal speed, and slow motion timed sequence
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I can say this , when using inverter power, and watching streaming video on TV using a Firestick and T-Mobile home internet Gateway ,
If I Start the generator with the Generator circuit Breaker, In the off position, wait a few seconds then flip the Circuit Breaker to on , the transfer takes place almost instantly, the transfer speed is sufficient enough that the devices are not interrupted, there is No Drop out, No loss of internet, WiFi. Firestick or TV, the video Does Not bleep the sound doesn't burp, i would not know there was a change of power source from inverter/Backup to shore cord/Portable Generator, if i had not done it myself,
But it is not drop proof when switching from generator/shore (Normal) to inverter (Backup),
I think this is because
Of inverter response time, even though it was On, it was in a no load idle condition, and the switching motor can not act as quickly,(micro seconds delay as inverter starts power output) this is only an educated guess but it is a plausible explanation,
I do not intend to swap source inputs for further testing,
I do not leave the inverter on , just in case the generator runs out of gas, or shore power fails, I'm happy enough to to be able to flip the inverter on
and have power and then flawlessly switch back to mains power source when power returns ( fuel is added and generator restarted)(utility shore power restored)
i think most of us think the same way,
The only way to guarantee Non interruption is to install an uninterruptibile power supply and plug your PC and TV electronics into that. Might try the work light load scenario with it as load connected directly to the inverter, maybe a drop cord work light, so it is already producing power, when the generator/shore input is removed, just to see if my assumptions are correct,(I have a 40 watt 120v LED Flood light)
If i do, i will post the results ,
This opinion may be premature, but i feel like this ATS design is more Robust, than the previous ATS with a board controlling two Relays that use DC powered coils it is the board that failed, this ATS switch is commercial grade, designed for commercial and industrial use,
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

MrWizard
I havent timed the transfer, but it seems faster than that,
There's a video demo of the power switching my uding a light bulb on the output
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
"conversion time: 2s or so".

these a spicific figure haha.. but heck good price, good reviews, let us know how it works for you..

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
MrWizard's link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08T94Q6NG?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB