cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Horizontal 20 lb. propane tanks.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, now I'm confused. I just got an email ad from a particular RV vendor and they are selling horizontal 20 lb. propane tanks for $157. What is the deal and why would they be so much more expensive than a normal 20 lb. tank? That's on sale, and the "normal" non-sale price is $216! WTH?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"
33 REPLIES 33

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
SaltiDawg wrote:

I care - that's why I enjoy reading at this mobile home forum. :R

To my brother of the Phin(short for dolphin which is the emblem we that are qualified Submariners wear), I did not mean to be flippant but the discussion degenerated from answering the OP's question to a discussion of semantics. ...

I wasn't chiding you.

Just a (likely bad) attempt at humor

It is wrong to refer to an RV as a "mobile home," right? :C

"Prepare to Snorkel."

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
SaltiDawg wrote:
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Okay, now we know the difference between tanks and cylinders, as stated and promptly forgotten, as in who cares...

I care - that's why I enjoy reading at this mobile home forum. :R

To my brother of the Phin(short for dolphin which is the emblem we that are qualified Submariners wear), I did not mean to be flippant but the discussion degenerated from answering the OP's question to a discussion of semantics. Common usage of cylinder and tank for the storage of propane is never going to change so why get too involved in trying to explain it over and over. I know it will come up again next week or next month and the same voices will try and convince everyone to use the two words correctly. But it ain't going to happen.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
mike-s wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Not meaning to nit-pick, but ASME tanks had an overfill prevention device (OPD) years (1984) before they were mandated on DOT cylinders (2001). They use a bit different design due to the differences in filling, but the purpose is exactly the same.
They not required to have them. Mine only has a "spit valve."

The ASME specifications have mandated an OPD on tank fill ports since 1984. The "spit valve" is the Fixed Maximum Liquid Level Gauge that serves as a visible indicator of a full (80%) tank. Most DOT cylinders also have a "spit valve" that serves the same purpose.
My tank was manufactured earlier than that, and there is no requirement to add an OPD, as there is with cylinders.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Not meaning to nit-pick, but ASME tanks had an overfill prevention device (OPD) years (1984) before they were mandated on DOT cylinders (2001). They use a bit different design due to the differences in filling, but the purpose is exactly the same.

The ASME specifications have mandated an OPD on tank fill ports since 1984. The "spit valve" is the Fixed Maximum Liquid Level Gauge that serves as a visible indicator of a full (80%) tank. Most DOT cylinders also have a "spit valve" that serves the same purpose.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why they ever put'm on. 1/2 of them don't work any way,.....liquid come out the bleeder before ever shutting off. I wish mine didn't work, tired of getting only 2/3 tankful !.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
mike-s wrote:

ASME tanks are made of heavier gauge material, are intended to be mounted permanently, don't need regular recertification, have fixed supply connections with hard line, are refilled while on the vehicle through a special refill port, and aren't required to have an Overfill Prevention Device (OPD).

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the thread was about vertical vs horizontal,....why are we haggling over tanks vs cyls ? And right on, who cares.

Its not hard to change a vertical tank to a horizontal,....if you know what you're doin. But you must be able to R&R the main valve so you can change the add a dip tube.
I modified a vertical 30# tank so the dip tube goes to the bottom for filling 1# bottles.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
20lb/OPD CLEAR CONTEXT

REQUALIFICATION still 12 yrs
https://www.npga.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=1911

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
Feel free to call a cylinder a tank when the context makes it clear what you're referring to. But, the OP didn't provide any context, and there are a lot of differences between them. $157 is a great price for a tank, it's a decent price for a cylinder.

These are generalizations, there may be occasional exceptions.

ASME tanks are made of heavier gauge material, are intended to be mounted permanently, don't need regular recertification, have fixed supply connections with hard line, are refilled while on the vehicle through a special refill port, and aren't required to have an Overfill Prevention Device (OPD).

DOT cylinders are portable, need recertification every 10 years, some places may require that they be removed from the vehicle before filling, have ACME valve ports with OPD where flexible hose connections are made by hand, and are refilled through the same port.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
Reddog1

older version, http://www.nfpa.org/assets/files/aboutthecodes/58/58-98-pdf.pdf

see definitions sec 1-6,

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Okay, now I'm confused. I just got an email ad from a particular RV vendor and they are selling horizontal 20 lb. propane tanks for $157. What is the deal and why would they be so much more expensive than a normal 20 lb. tank? That's on sale, and the "normal" non-sale price is $216! WTH?
Do you even need a new tank?
Otherwise get a portable upright cylinder.
No, no need of new tanks, just curious why these horizontal tanks were so expensive compared to regular ol' propane cylinders.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Your links Wayne make it very clear.
All removable containers are cylinders, while tanks are
"Built to ASME Code for permanent mounting on motorized recreational vehicles.
"
Whenever members here, or suppliers slap their tongue without thinking is another story.

I guess I am still missing something.

DOT Tanks (per DOT & ASME Propane Tank Differences)
Recertification Period are 12 Years after Manufacturing, then every 5 Years
Designed for Portable Applications
Design & Standards Governed by Department of Transporation (DOT)

The tanks in my 5th wheel (horizontal) are removable as are the tanks in my TC (vertical). Both must be recertified as above.

My read on the DOT & ASME Propane Tank Differences is the ASME tanks are not designed to be moved when full, and the DOT tanks are designed for Portable Applications. Both are referred to as "tanks".

I guess I am missing something?

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
Do you even need a new tank?
Otherwise get a portable upright cylinder.