cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Unusual propane plumbing???

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
We have a 2014 3100RL Montana we bought it used on the non-door side the propane tanks are connected to the automatic crossover and what I will call a standard way, no problems.

However, on the door side connected to the propane tank is an in-line pressure gauge (no problem) then the flexible propane line is connected to a single pressure regulator (much like this one in the photo below) before connecting to the iron pipe which crosses over to the other side. I do not know why there is a pressure regulator on the door side. Your thoughts are welcome.

A problem that may or may not be related to this configuration. There appears to be a propane leak that we cannot find. When we open the propane valve on the tank on the door side as expected the pressure gauge shows full pressure. Then if we turn off the valve on this tank very slowly the gauge pressure drops to zero. We have use soapy water to check for leaks and cannot find any leaks. I do not smell any propane other than the normal smell that is usually associated around the tank after one fills the tank

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
5 REPLIES 5

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
CarnationSailor wrote:
From description on etrailer.com:

"High-pressure regulator is designed for high-demand propane equipment, primarily used for dual-bottle psig setups with distant separation applications. Regulates 500,000 Btu/hr or 30 psig based on 100 psig inlet."

The red regulator reduces the pressure from tank pressure (100 psi) to 30 psi before sending it across your rv to the auto-switchover regulator which reduces the pressure further. It's for safety.

yup. every 5th wheel I've seen has this arrangement. Unlike a TT with the propane bottles external and very close together a 5th wheel has propane tanks seperated by a reasonable distance AND inside the trailer. So the high pressure regulator is a safety precaution.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
From description on etrailer.com:

"High-pressure regulator is designed for high-demand propane equipment, primarily used for dual-bottle psig setups with distant separation applications. Regulates 500,000 Btu/hr or 30 psig based on 100 psig inlet."

The red regulator reduces the pressure from tank pressure (100 psi) to 30 psi before sending it across your rv to the auto-switchover regulator which reduces the pressure further. It's for safety.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both of our fifth wheels have been set up that way. Why do you call it "non-standard?"

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
See my answer on the MOC forum.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
All OK. When the propane is shut off the regulator vents the propane for safety.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob