cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ball Height Adjustment Questions

240vPlug
Explorer
Explorer
Greetings all, I have a Fastway e2 weight distribution hitch (non-round bar type). Was originally setup for a Honda Pilot about a year ago.

We got a new vehicle and when connected the tongue is pitched upward significantly. The new vehicle sits higher and has air bags. I know we probably shouldn't have towed with it until we adjusted but we are already on a trip and would like to adjust before making the 600 mile trek back.

This vehicle (a Rivian R1S) tow capacity is 7700 lbs so quite a bit more than the pilot. The trailer is a 22 Apex 245 BHS with a dry weight of about 4700 lbs. With our stuff, a couple gallons in black/gray tanks, and full propane its probably slight over 5000 lbs.

While towing there is a ton of sway when vehicles pass. I am getting the push/pull. It seems to be mostly fine as long as no vehicles are near.

I am fairly new to towing and RV life as we just got our first TT about 15 months ago.

I believe all I have to do is just lower the ball height. Right now the shank is in rise orientation. So I need to remove the assembly from the shank and remount it to the shank in the opposite direction so that I can use the shank in the drop position.

I have a couple questions:

What is the best way to remove the shank bolts since they are torqued to 250 ft lbs?

Do I need to replace any hardware such as nuts or washers?

Any other considerations that I am missing?

TIA
22 REPLIES 22

blt2ski
Scooby,

My weight effect numbers are an example only. I do feel as the hitch goes up, ea inch or degree rise if you will, the amount lessoned will increase more at the say 5th degree inch than first, tenth degree more than 5th! Likewise, as you lower, the 10th degree, more hw than 5th, whis us more than the first degree.
Depending upon the actual wight of the hitch, I can see a 3-5" rise removing enough hw to cause fish tail sway or equal squirm in a trailer.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
Scooby,

Yes correct on the hitch weight changing. Level might be 100 lb, an inch high 98, 2' 95 lbs. Going down, an equal increase IE to 102, 105 lbs. Enough to stop fishtail sway? That would depend on the how high at the start, vs getting to level or slightly down as I prefer. Along with the actual change in weight that occurs during this swing.

Marty

Like I said, it depends on where weight is in the trailer. If something heavy is high over the axles can make more change. Your numbers might be right, for your trailer. I know if I use my flat ball mount instead of the drop my half ton squats less. (Jackknife a little to slide cooler off back porch to tailgate. First gas stop, switch because drop/level trailer feels better)
And the OP mentioned air suspension. Will the slight change in weight change pressure in bags, effect how it handles?

blt2ski
Glad to hear it's better with an adjustment or two. The third will get it feeling better. Don't be afraid to put a few heavy things forward.
One past poster, found putting a 2nd 80 lb battery on the tongue helped lower the fidgeting of the trailer. Another with a tent trailer, put water jugs forward a few feet.
A few other things to tinker with.

Marty

240vPlug
Explorer
Explorer
ok, shoulder feeling better today. picked up a nice impact from Lowes. Shank bolts broke loose pretty easy with the impact. When I measured this morning top of ball to top of coupler I was 8" high. I removed the head from the shank and switched the shank from rise position to drop. Reinstalled head in lowest position and I was able to get 5" of drop. Now I am only 3" high....much better...for now anyway. The Rivian has air bags and we drove down in the low ride height setting. After my adjustments I measured and the standard ride height was better! Low ride height actually gave me 3/4 of a inch rise on the ball! Anyway I hooked everything up and its much improved.

Once we get back I will need a custom shank from Fastway to get the drop I need for it to ride level. Thank you guys agian for all this excellent advice. My wife and 16yo daughter I am sure have some nail polish somewhere. ๐Ÿ™‚

blt2ski
Scooby,

Yes correct on the hitch weight changing. Level might be 100 lb, an inch high 98, 2' 95 lbs. Going down, an equal increase IE to 102, 105 lbs. Enough to stop fishtail sway? That would depend on the how high at the start, vs getting to level or slightly down as I prefer. Along with the actual change in weight that occurs during this swing.

Marty

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:

You might have to stand on the end of the wrench and give it a bounce or two to crack them loose. Just be aware that the wrench isn't going to hold you up and be ready to compensate when it turns. We don't need any skinned shins.

This is bad advice, unless talking to a kid. (kids bounce, and heal quicker) First, most, if not all, of the bounce energy will be absorbed by suspension of vehicle. And the vehicle moving makes not just a skinned shin, but a fall around hard things.
Use arms, firm grip on wrench, gradually transfer body weight from legs too arms/wrench.
Like I said before, if you use block or jackstand under hitch, more of the wrench travel turns the nut.

blt2ski wrote:
I'm going to go with a combo. Hitch too high as noted, along with too little HW. Nose high would make the too little HW be exaggerated some.
As noted, removing bolts adjusting etc is not a hard thing to do on the road. I've done it more than once. Have some penetrating liquid and a hammer to help it go between the threads helps. As would a 3-5' pipe to go over the breaker bar.
A tape to verify you really changed heights etc.

Marty

Also lowering the tongue will increase TW. Maybe not enough to matter, depending on where weight is in the trailer.

OP, about the fasteners. Working on a lot of stuff, for a lot of years, I have found the split type lock washers often break when reused, sometimes distort when removed first time. Unless you are sure you will only need to adjust once to get it right, get some cheap nail polish and remover. Tighten up, going to tow to test? Put marks on nuts, threads, and bolt heads so you can see at a glance at walkaround if starts to back off. Once you know it is right, take apart, use Loctite. (Touch-up paint lasts longer than nail polish to do the marks)

240vPlug
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
Tyler0215 wrote:
Weigh before you do any thing! Truck only, loaded and redy to go. Truck and trailer together, loade and ready to go. Then you have a place to start.
I would "GUESS" from what you have said you a light on tongue weight.

That's my best guess based on the limited info.

It's also possible, though less likely, the truck is overloaded. Just because the tow rating is 11k doesn't mean you can tow 11k without other ratings being over the limits. You might be over axle or GVWR and that can result in a squiggly ride.

One other thought, what are the tires? If the are passenger (as opposed to LT) with marginal payload rating, that can make for a squiggly ride.

I really appreciate all the advice you guys are giving here. I have always been a car guy and so things like this interest me and I am always eager to learn new things from knowledgeable folks like all of you.

Good point there. Completely valid points about the tow capacity. Max tongue weight on SUV (Current Tow Vehicle) is 810. I did the calcs a while back by subtracting curb weight from GVWR and estimating the amount of people and luggage in the truck. What others have suggested on weighing it at a CAT scale is excellent advice!

I think right now I will try to adjust to get it more level. When we get back I will probably have a pro evaluate the setup and also weight things as suggested here. The ball angle and L brackets might need adjustments as well for the new tow vehicle.

blt2ski
I'm going to go with a combo. Hitch too high as noted, along with too little HW. Nose high would make the too little HW be exaggerated some.
As noted, removing bolts adjusting etc is not a hard thing to do on the road. I've done it more than once. Have some penetrating liquid and a hammer to help it go between the threads helps. As would a 3-5' pipe to go over the breaker bar.
A tape to verify you really changed heights etc.

Marty

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tyler0215 wrote:
Weigh before you do any thing! Truck only, loaded and redy to go. Truck and trailer together, loade and ready to go. Then you have a place to start.

That's my best guess based on the limited info.

It's also possible, though less likely, the truck is overloaded. Just because the tow rating is 11k doesn't mean you can tow 11k without other ratings being over the limits. You might be over axle or GVWR and that can result in a squiggly ride.

One other thought, what are the tires? If the are passenger (as opposed to LT) with marginal payload rating, that can make for a squiggly ride.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer

240vPlug
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Hey 240vPlug,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully folks notice that this is your first post here and they take it easy on you. Sometimes the well-meaning members get a little intense and it feels personal.

It's not personal yet. They haven't gotten to know you well enough to be rude yet.

Kidding.

I hope you find your answers and get to enjoy your camping.

Cheers,
Dave - Administrator

Thanks Dave! I do appreciate all the responses. Even the judgmental responses are fine...I realize those folks that don't write it probably still think it...its fine. I was prepared for the comments about the Rivian. I actually enjoy working on my own stuff. I have read the manual and know how to take the measurements. I think I am just going to go at it with a breaker bar.

I actually have two Rivians. I have the truck and the SUV. I towed it with the truck and it was excellent (couldn't even tell it was back there) though I still think she was nose up a bit because the tongue jack had to go all the way up to get the spring bars out. The SUV, despite riding on the same platform, seem even more nose up. This is why I didn't measure and adjust before setting out because I assumed that the SUV would be the same as the truck. The SUV will probably tow it most of the time (Wife's SUV). The Rivian SUV has a shorter wheelbase so a slightly lower tow rating of 7700. The Rivian Truck is rated to 11,000.

I do realize there will be some sway but the reason I want to adjust now is because even other cars and pickups were causing sway...of course to a lesser extent than the big rigs. I never felt like I was going to lose control but there obviously isn't enough weight on the tongue and I want to fix that before driving back if possible.

240vPlug
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
This is one of those, way better to have someone else do it than try yourself type of things, just by reading your post. Especially if money is not tight, which it isnโ€™t if youโ€™re driving a Rivian.

Well heck I see your in WA...I would give you a few bucks to to help out with it. I like to know how to do these things myself so that I don't have to rely on someone else.

I mainly posted here to get opinions on how to best approach it. Sharing the knowledge is good for everyone as it makes for safer towing and protects everyone else on the road. I must admit that I don't know much about towing, but just the same I am sure there are many things that I know a lot about that others don't. I am always willing to share my knowledge and I would never try to make someone else feel bad for asking questions about something to gain additional knowledge.

With that said, you suggestion to hire is pro is also reasonable.

The last part of your post would appear to be judgmental but I know that's not how you meant it.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like he has the money to pay for assistance such as mobile RV repair recommended by the RV park. A welding shop attached my Class 4 hitch on two of my trucks and they have the know how and tools to assist.

I attached a class 3 hitch on my last Ram 1500 and the 2500 came with a Class 4 installed already. Maybe some other RVers in the campground has the tools and know how.

dedmiston
Hey 240vPlug,

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully folks notice that this is your first post here and they take it easy on you. Sometimes the well-meaning members get a little intense and it feels personal.

It's not personal yet. They haven't gotten to know you well enough to be rude yet.

Kidding.

I hope you find your answers and get to enjoy your camping.

Cheers,
Dave - Administrator

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230