cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Propane tanks too heavy

landingzone
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a camper for my permanent site. The 30# tanks are pretty heavy (I'm 83 yrs}. I realize 20#'ers would be lighter. My question is: Do others just leave their tanks on the ground , or in some kind of caddy while in use rather than lifting them up into the normal position above the tongue? Any issues with this?
11 REPLIES 11

ArialSummer
Explorer
Explorer
lots of folks leave their propane tanks on the ground or use a caddy instead of lifting them onto the tongue.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"I just purchased a camper for my permanent site."

Lots of people deliver Propane. Smart to rent a big tank and have it filled when needed. This will save your back and wallet!

One of the group here in Montana , has a large tank, he books the same site every year ,and has the tank on it , but he's here for about 4 months .

It's a no brainer !!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Lots of people deliver Propane. Smart to rent a big tank and have it filled when needed. This will save your back and wallet!

One of the group here in Montana , has a large tank, he books the same site every year ,and has the tank on it , but he's here for about 4 months .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

landingzone
Explorer
Explorer
"Bob's Your Uncle". Pianotuna, Had to look that one up.:)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you are worried about setting them on the ground lay a link belt type door mat on the ground and set them on that... (may help limit corrosion (rusting) of the stand ring.. NOTE said rusting is not an issue less it's so bad that tank falls over)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
On the ground they would be a little easier to steal.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I think it is best to save the 30 lb tanks. Arrange to lease or buy a 100 lb tank and have the propane brought to you.

If the 100 ends up empty--the 30 lb tanks can be turned on and Bob's Your Uncle.

83 now and able to do the tanks--but what about when you are 89???
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
No issues with putting the bottles on the ground as long as the hoses are long enough. But I would build some kind of barrier to keep them safe from tipping over from something like a young kid on a bicycle.

Or as Ranger Smith says, contact a propane service to do it for you.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
Why dont you have a gas company come out with a 100# and hook it up to the camper. They'll come out and keep it full for you. No lifting or having to go to town to get them filled.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Say wut?
I understand the too heavy part.
However you can leave the tanks wherever you want (that the hose(s) reach). Presuming itโ€™s parked and not traveling.
Easy button is use 20lb bottles if thatโ€™s what works for you.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold