cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Camp Security

pbitschura
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on cabling the new genny to the back of the truck. But do any of you have an alarm hooked up to scare any bad guys away? We might be gone for a few hours and thought unwanted attention would be a deterrent, short of pissing off the neighbors.
2020 Braxton Creek 24fb travel trailer
28 REPLIES 28

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
^^^^^^^There ya go. The main reason people fear their stuff will be stolen is that they keep reading about it, and then feel, "Well, there must be a reason", so they lock up their stuff, and keep the fear rolling. Over 25 years traveling, and never had anything grow legs and disappear. FUD.

So youโ€™ve had a portable generator NOT locked up for over 25 years of traveling and no one has swiped it?
Or are you relying on the internets and lack of reported thefts that you were talking about above?
Me, Iโ€™ve only camped with a portable generator probably a couple dozen trips and if it was left unattended I chained it to something relatively solid. (except when we were camping in the bush in the middle of bfe alaska). So I have no bad experiences either.
However I did have it moved and pulled half off itโ€™s storage platform one night when we were staying in a hotel, camper parked outside. So I kept the casual thief from grabbing it.
Whateverโ€ฆ.youโ€™re trying to make an argument that states itโ€™s foolish and unnecessary to lock up an expensive, easily stolen, highly desirable tool.
Sounds silly to me. I mean, at my house I donโ€™t lock up the generators when theyโ€™re outside running during a power outage. So by your logic since I deem it safe at my house then itโ€™s safe anywhere and everywhere I or the OP would ever choose to camp?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Just amazing that the various RV forums aren't overrun with stories of theft and mayhem, after reading the various scenarios by some. But, I just can't believe it, you see so few, if any, wonder why that is. Suppose it's because they don't happen? Naaaah, got to be some other reason. Oh, I know: it's a conspiracy. ๐Ÿ™‚
So, if I follow your logic, itโ€™s never happened to you, so hence, itโ€™s never happened? I think there is a reality that says reasonable people should take reasonable precaution to not be a victim. However, youโ€™re certainly free to practice the do nothing approach.
Did you actually read the post you quoted? Have you read of a plethora of thefts from RV parks and campgrounds? I haven't, but you'd think there would be nothing but talk about thefts, from reading about the fear of theft in this thread. So again I ask: Have you read about many, bunches, heaps, of thefts in RV parks and campgrounds? Yeah, it hasn't happened to me in more than 30 years of traveling by car, truck, motorcycle, and RV. And in my reading of bunches of RV forums, I'm the rule, not the exception. So pull your shades, turn on your scare lights, hook up your motion sensors, lock your doors, and worry about your stuff. Me? I'll just enjoy myself.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
Just amazing that the various RV forums aren't overrun with stories of theft and mayhem, after reading the various scenarios by some. But, I just can't believe it, you see so few, if any, wonder why that is. Suppose it's because they don't happen? Naaaah, got to be some other reason. Oh, I know: it's a conspiracy. ๐Ÿ™‚
So, if I follow your logic, itโ€™s never happened to you, so hence, itโ€™s never happened? I think there is a reality that says reasonable people should take reasonable precaution to not be a victim. However, youโ€™re certainly free to practice the do nothing approach.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
fj12ryder wrote:
Definitely a good idea to compare a construction site to a RV park. From reading these posts it's apparent that theft is
rife in RV parks and campgrounds, but it seems there's little, if any, actual reports of it. FUD. Keep the fear rolling.

Youโ€™re stretching hereโ€ฆa lot. Donโ€™t pull a hammy.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well said Chum Lee. I have many decades of fun camping and fishing and my caution and due diligence has been no bother or worry for me.

On another RV forum there are a few characters who claim to have never encountered suspicious persons 0r would be thieves at any time or anywhere. Some have admitted to camping only at RV resorts with full time security. I smile on their good fortune and charmed life. Cheers to the brave who protect the cowards.

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Definitely a good idea to compare a construction site to a RV park. From reading these posts it's apparent that theft is
rife in RV parks and campgrounds, but it seems there's little, if any, actual reports of it. FUD. Keep the fear rolling.

Well, . . . I disagree. I think it's a good comparison. (In the ways I see relevant) People you don't know, changing regularly. If you don't think theft abounds, IMO, . . . it's just because it hasn't happened to you, . . . yet. Cancer, heart attacks, plane crashes, car accidents, earthquakes, tsunami's, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods, building collapses, random shootings, unibombers, your 15 year old impregnated heroin addicted daughter, etc., etc., etc. Watch the news. They all parade people who can't believe, "IT FINALLY HAPPENED TO ME."

And, . . . no, . . . I'm not afraid, and I don't preach gloom and doom, disaster, conspiracy theories, or any of that ****. Awareness is the key. Enough said.

Chum lee

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

StonedPanther
Explorer III
Explorer III
Where are some of you folks camping? A hood in Detroit?

I think if I needed to worry this much I wouldn't camp.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Out of sight out of mind. I keep gen in back of truck with camper shell and run it from there all chained up. When gone from campsite the tailgate is closed and gen is in the truck bed with something covering it up.

Never leave it in the campground but always with me and yes the thieves are everywhere including remote and near vacant campgrounds. I have several items I can also use to discourage the scum bags that I sometimes see casing the campsites in their beatup no window vans and trucks, other vehicles.

Scared off a few of the tokers who set up day camp near me and waiting for me to leave campsite unattended. They have police records. Usually leave one or two cheap battery lanterns on all night at campsite.

I now often stay at military bases RV parks or on base Inns with additional frequent MP police patrols/security.

Many years camping in both remote and crowded campgrounds with nothing stolen yet. Due diligence is good. One eye jack says cheers and life is good.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
We have the generator cabled to the truck but if we leave, the generator gets put away.

Locks keep honest people honest but give them 2-3hours and it's not hard to cut off a steel cable.

Did you mean 20-30 seconds or maybe 2-3min? He!! I could cut thru most bike cables with a hacksaw in less than 5 minutes, lol.

More an issue of what the potential criminal sees.
- If I go into the woods for 5min to water a bush, they will see a truck and trailer and have no idea if someone is inside but its likely that someone is at least nearby.
- If I take the truck and leave, they see a generator with no one likely around.

Most criminals are oppurtunistic. Is it 100%, no but it balances being obsessive with keeping the risk of theft minimal.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator
I all our years of camping we never worried about it. We had the Class C MH since 2006. Only thing left outside were the lawn chairs. We never had anything stolen from our campsites through all the years.
Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We have only used our 3.5 kw inverter genny twice since we have so much solar. It was stored in the pickup bed in front of the hitch, so a real PITA to use.
Our solution was to add a sliding tray to the pass thru compartment and place the genny on the end of the tray. Now if we want to use it, all we have to do is slide out the tray.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
pbitschura wrote:
Maybe the answer is to try and avoid the places where zombies lurk after dark.

Location location location is also a factor for sure. But the zombies are everywhere. Just less prevalent in less populated areas in general.