cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grease in EZ lube dust cap

enahs
Explorer
Explorer
One EZ Lube hub seems to be pushing grease out into the dust cap. Bearings were "professionally" serviced last season. No grease on back of wheel. Ideas? Will pull apart myself and inspect if necessary.
'07 Chevy 3500 Dooley, CC, LT3, D/A
10 REPLIES 10

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Don't understand your comment "that's not really making sense, pump and spin is the way you're supposed to fill the ez-lube."

It's Tie Down Engineering but now owned by Dexter. Changed out the POS spring, axles and drums with Dexter Tork Flex 3,750#. 5 or 6 year 100k warranty on the hubs, no maintenance required. I did have 3 fail so I am now annually greasing with Lucas Marine as per warranty.

Also HydraStar Hydraulic Actuator.

don't worry about it, I misunderstood what you were saying. so, I imaging that was more expensive than just buying the dexter disc break upgrade they offer for 2500Cdn for the 4 rotors , break kits and hydraulic to electric set up.

All in I have $3,500 into axles, hubs, brakes and actuator all Marine Grade. Worth EVERY $$$$$$$. I absolutely hated the drums with surge. I washed them out after every trip to the salt water but they just went to SH!T. I have brakes right away as when pulling Boat out I reach down and hit the oH SH!T slide on the brake controller for a few seconds to dry off the water and have brakes as needed!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Don't understand your comment "that's not really making sense, pump and spin is the way you're supposed to fill the ez-lube."

It's Tie Down Engineering but now owned by Dexter. Changed out the POS spring, axles and drums with Dexter Tork Flex 3,750#. 5 or 6 year 100k warranty on the hubs, no maintenance required. I did have 3 fail so I am now annually greasing with Lucas Marine as per warranty.

don't worry about it, I misunderstood what you were saying. so, I imaging that was more expensive than just buying the dexter disc break upgrade they offer for 2500Cdn for the 4 rotors , break kits and hydraulic to electric set up.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pump and spin baby!!! GREAT way to grease the hubs. If you have drum brakes that is another story. I don't have to worry about the dreaded grease BLOWING past the rear seal as I will NEVER own another trailer with drums. Disks all the way.

that's not really making sense, pump and spin is the way you're supposed to fill the ez-lube.

On a side note, what disc brake kit did you go with?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Pump and spin baby!!! GREAT way to grease the hubs. If you have drum brakes that is another story. I don't have to worry about the dreaded grease BLOWING past the rear seal as I will NEVER own another trailer with drums. Disks all the way.

that's not really making sense, pump and spin is the way you're supposed to fill the ez-lube.

On a side note, what disc brake kit did you go with?
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:
No big deal. Replace the zerk if it bothers you.

Trying to understand what this has to do with the OP's comment?

"One EZ Lube hub seems to be pushing grease out into the dust cap"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree they can push out a little grease if it's not excessive (Like Gobs) just wipe it out and (Carefully dispose of the wiper) and don't worry.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No big deal. Replace the zerk if it bothers you.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agreed, not much to worry about, they could have overfilled a bit and the grease expanded once hot. I would clean out the excess, and keep an eye on it. If it refilled, then I would start to be concerned.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I would not worry about it. There is no seal at the outer bearing like there is at the inner bearing, although there should be a rubber plug on the metal dust cap.

Donโ€™t know how the โ€œprofessionalโ€ performed the service. But sounds like he may have used the zerk to put in grease as directed by Dexter instructions and filled the hub with grease. That is the way it is designed to work. And is fine as long as the rear seal is not leaking. But if you have drum brakes the only way to know for sure is to pull the drum.