cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing a 2011 Ford Fusion?

JL7456
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering how many are towing a 2011 Ford Fusion 4 cylinder 2.5L behind their motorhome? I recently posted that we have purchased a low mileage 2011 Fusion after reading the owners manual which states it can be towed 4 down. I also had some feedback from others that had transmission issues after towing the car. Some people have had no trouble with the car. I do not want to set up the car knowing the possibility exists for future transmission problems. This is just another inquiry to anyone else that did not see the first posts. Thanks in advance for your advice.
2 REPLIES 2

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
The issue with the 2009-2011 Ford Fusions and Escapes is rather curious. Ford initially certified them as towable 4 wheels down. But after having many complaints of transmission failures and the attendant costs to Ford, even to the point of paying for the installation of Remco pumps for some owners to "cure" the problem, they announced that any Fusion or Escape built after February 28, 2012 would not be certified for towing and if those vehicles were subsequently towed and transmission damage occurred, Ford would not warranty the transmissions nor cover the costs of any repair.

Why some folks have had problems with these vehicles and others have not seems to be quite a mystery. I personally know someone who tows a 2010 Fusion and has towed it many miles without any problems. I also know someone who towed a 2009 Escape for many miles without having any problems. The key seems to be lowering the transmission fluid level when towing - - but some have done that and still had problems.

I'm just trying to tell you what I know about the situation. Ultimately it's up to you to make a decision as to what you want to do.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
AS PER REMCO TOWING PRODUCTS:

2011 Ford Fusion SE FWD I-4 2.5L cyl 6-Speed Automatic 6F35

Notes
โ€ขVehicle can be flat towed with Lube Pump Kit. Vehicle cannot be flat towed from Manufacturer as is.
โ€ขFord Escape & Fusion made through the years of 2009-2011 that contain a 6-Speed Transmission Model number 6F35 are considered flat towable according to Ford. Before purchasing a Lube Pump Kit for these vehicles please check with your local Ford Dealer and determine what is required of you when you tow this vehicle. Ask if there are any Technical Service Bulletins with the vehicle in regards to flat towing behind a Motor Coach. If Dealer agrees that vehicle is towable "as is" and agrees, in writing, to cover expenses on transmission should a failure occur then REMCO suggest that you follow the flat towing procedures in the Owner's Manual and any other subsequent towing guidelines outlined in Technical Service Bulletins from Ford. If Dealer prefers, a Lube Pump System for the 6F35 Transmission in the Ford Escape or Fusion is available. Lube Pump Kit is mandatory for all 2012 Ford Fusions that contain the 6 Speed 6F35 Transmission.