cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F-250 vs F-350

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We are likely going to buy a new Ford with the 7.3 V-8 and 373 axles. We tow a 2 Horse Living Quarters aluminum trailer that weighs 5500 empty and has a 10,000 max GVW.
Our question is would the F-250 have a smoother ride than the F-350 when not towing? There is no chance that we will want a larger trailer so a heavier upgrade in the future is not an issue.
Currently we tow the trailer with a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 5.9 diesel.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer
29 REPLIES 29

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
StirCrazy...My F250 has 3 leaf springs and overload (HD service suspension option)! Does mine look the same as your 350? My understanding, when I ordered it, was 350 spring pack, but using the 2 inch spacer, rather than 4 inch, which would have raised my hitch height.

Yup. Std 250s of that era only have 3 leafs total.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
MFL wrote:
StirCrazy...My F250 has 3 leaf springs and overload (HD service suspension option)! Does mine look the same as your 350? My understanding, when I ordered it, was 350 spring pack, but using the 2 inch spacer, rather than 4 inch, which would have raised my hitch height.

yes, my main pack is identical to that, but I have the overload spring on top of that pack that isn't shown in your picture.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Fairly certain that there will be minimal, if any, ride difference between the 250 and 350. The 350 has a spacer block and overload springs.

Wrong... the standard F250 has 3 leaf springs. The F350 has 4 leaf springs with a overload spring for a total of 5 leaf springs.

I wish I could agree with you but my 2014 F350 only has three leaf springs plus the overload, and it has the heavy payload option.

Your precisely right up to 2016, but that changed in 2017 and up. The OP is requesting information on a new truck.

are you counting that bottom 1/3 length leaf that never makes contact on the ends? If I include that then I have 4 in the main pack I guess. I am not sure when that one is supposed to engage but I have had 4000lbs in the back of the truck and it has still never had contact on the ends haha
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
Fairly certain that there will be minimal, if any, ride difference between the 250 and 350. The 350 has a spacer block and overload springs.

Wrong... the standard F250 has 3 leaf springs. The F350 has 4 leaf springs with a overload spring for a total of 5 leaf springs.

I wish I could agree with you but my 2014 F350 only has three leaf springs plus the overload, and it has the heavy payload option.

Your precisely right up to 2016, but that changed in 2017 and up. The OP is requesting information on a new truck.

interesting, what did they do add an additional leaf in the f350? I wonder if that leaf pack would change the ride on mine....
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
StirCrazy wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve owned Ford F250โ€™s and 350โ€™s to tow different fifthwheel and travel trailers. All did very well as towing goes. Our current 2018 F350 DRW truck rides empty as smooth as a 250 towing. Donโ€™t compare highway driving to grave or secondary road driving. We live in the N Georgia Mountains and travel to NE Florida several times a year. Iโ€™d much rather drive my truck than my wifeโ€™s Yukon.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
spoon059 wrote:

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Ram has a decent difference between the great coils in the 2500 and leaf springs in the 3500. Ram offers factory air suspension, it's a shame that neither Ford nor GM have offered that yet.

All the more reason to stick w/Ram if air ride or factory overload bags are what youโ€™re after.
And by the time youโ€™re getting a new truck, the new trans for the Rams should have a couple years under its belt.
But if nothing more for the simple reason, looking under the hood of a Flowerjoke makes me queasy thinking about having to work on anything contained within the rats nest! Yeah those motors got some real jamโ€ฆ.they all do. But best served for in-warranty owners and non diyโ€™ers who like to pay more for repairs. JMO

LOL... I little too quick on the trigger there. The OP is purchasing a 7.3 engine.

lol is right! I got the brain stuck somewhere between this thread and replying to spoon about his threadโ€ฆI better go take another geritol!

I highly recommend Centrum Silver. :B

blt2ski
Grit
Just remember, when them teenagers aren't in the house and over 20, you can live again, vs being really old with them know it all teens telling you what to do!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FishOnOne wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
spoon059 wrote:

Ram has a decent difference between the great coils in the 2500 and leaf springs in the 3500. Ram offers factory air suspension, it's a shame that neither Ford nor GM have offered that yet.

All the more reason to stick w/Ram if air ride or factory overload bags are what youโ€™re after.
And by the time youโ€™re getting a new truck, the new trans for the Rams should have a couple years under its belt.
But if nothing more for the simple reason, looking under the hood of a Flowerjoke makes me queasy thinking about having to work on anything contained within the rats nest! Yeah those motors got some real jamโ€ฆ.they all do. But best served for in-warranty owners and non diyโ€™ers who like to pay more for repairs. JMO

LOL... I little too quick on the trigger there. The OP is purchasing a 7.3 engine.

lol is right! I got the brain stuck somewhere between this thread and replying to spoon about his threadโ€ฆI better go take another geritol!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
campingken wrote:
We are likely going to buy a new Ford with the 7.3 V-8 and 373 axles. We tow a 2 Horse Living Quarters aluminum trailer that weighs 5500 empty and has a 10,000 max GVW.
Our question is would the F-250 have a smoother ride than the F-350 when not towing? There is no chance that we will want a larger trailer so a heavier upgrade in the future is not an issue.
Currently we tow the trailer with a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 with a 5.9 diesel.

The F250 will very likely ride a little smoother with the standard spring pack. Many auto writers who been testing the 2023 Super Duty's have reported these new trucks ride smoother than the previous year/s trucks so its a win... win... We recently recieved our 2023 F350 7.3 and that truck is a beast and rides better than my personnal '12 truck, but can't say how it rides compared to a F250. Sounds like a F250 would be the ticket for your needs.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
spoon059 wrote: