cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Taking Personal Responsibility to new lows.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Recent review of Lazy Days RV Park in Florida has the park getting a 1 out of 10. Reason, the reviewer broke their ankle.
Did they break their ankle because the park had carelessly left equipment laying around? No. Was the park at fault because a walkway, stairs or piece of recreational equipment failed? No. Was the floors in the office, store, laundry or bathhouses wet and slick from a spill? Nyet.
The failure of the park...Leaves on a hill BEHIND the reviewer's RV. The reviewer gave no reason why they felt they had to be climbing on the hill, but they apparently felt it was the park's fault that either the hill was there or that their trees drop leaves. And people wonder why there has to be signs everywhere warning people if you do something stupid you might get hurt.
124 REPLIES 124

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
am1958 wrote:
WTP-GC wrote:
With all this talk about snowflakes (including those removed) and the fact that we're apparently raising up a generation of people who can't take responsibility for themselves, I have to point out an interesting observation...

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere in this thread or the "review in question" is the reviewer's age or demographic indicated. Are they 20 years old or 100 years old or somewhere in between?? Or is just easier and more convenient to assume that this person must be some young snowflake millennial that was always handed participation trophies instead of considering that they may be a retired baby-boomer?

Again, just an observation

Having just slid past 60 I can assure you that my generation had it's fair share of snowflakes and they have been breeding profusely it would seem. I see quite a few of them on these forums to be honest*.

* Comment not aimed at anyone in particular - just an observation after a couple of years reading here regularly.

I don't know what generation I am...most likely a member of the arsehole generation. I have sat patiently by and watched the millennial and X gens come into the commercial construction industry as they graduated college, and took over management positions from the old school people. One thing most of them have in common is a distinct lack of having a set of stones for any conversation, either face to face or on the phone, when it comes to business dealings. If it's the slightest bit confrontational forget it. Now they have a large set of stones when it's an email, but they melt in a face to face conversation. And if you leave a voicemail over an issue that does not benefit their position in some way, most likely you'll never get a return call. That's the rule more than the exception IME.

am1958 wrote:
My father put the cane to my rear more then once... I'm still not a serial killer...

Odd that...

Now thats funny...........Jr High School, Asst Principal Mr Eisamann (a huge bastard, looked like a wrestler on TV), circa 1974, locker number 85. 85 was the locker directly across the hall from the office, which he lined you up on when you assumed the position, right before he let loose with a 1X6 board about 3 and a half feet long with a handle carved in the end and full of 1/2" holes drilled through it.........Man did that sting, and you could hear it about 1/2 a mile down the hall if you were not the one on the receiving end. I'm not a serial killer either LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Spanking done with vengeance or spite is not discipline. Spanking done out of love, while perhaps more painful to the parent, is not abuse.

"...He earned his love through discipline, a thundering velvet hand..."
(from Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg.)

My mother and father were tough on me whn I deserved it. I am a Dan Fogelberg fan having seen him a couple of times when he performed.,. his words ring true for me when "I am in Colorado." I wish today that I could say to me father the following, but he hears my thoughts when I speak to him in my own way as captured in the lyric of the same song:

"I thank you for the kindness and the times when you got tough
And papa, I don't think I said I love you near enough."
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
downtheroad wrote:
Maybe off topic just a little: True story. We watched the whole thing.

Crowded state park in Oregon
Guys camping next to us using a .22 to shoot beer cans lined up on their picnic table.
Argued with police that there were no posted signs prohibiting what they were doing.

Speaking of picnic tables...

My favorite {and there have been several} are the folks that disconnect their sewer hose and lay it on the picnic table. Seriously! :S

Can't see your photo but once we lid our NEW, just taken out of the box, Rhino on a picnic table to attach and end fitting.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Yup, didn't take much of a spanking for our now 15 year old polite young man to snap into line as a little kid. More like the threat of a spankin would straighten him up.
Now our 11 year old would look at you after beatin his @55 like "that all you got?"

However he is also a good kid albeit more of a handful (and tougher ) than his older brother. He played spring league Bantam hockey, 13-14 year old age group this spring. First full check hockey for him but apparently the 6 years of football and the whippins did some good. He is almost the smallest kid on the ice and has no problem leveling a kid A foot taller then him...... and then offering him a hand up....sometimes. Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
IndyCamp wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

My parents (in particular my mother) went by spare the rod and spoil the child. The only trophy I ever got was a welt across my backside.

Sorry, but I think that is equally ridiculous.

I was also beaten as a child as a means of punishment, but I never once put my hands on my son for anything other than a hug or high-five. He is one of the best behaved kids I have seen.

It is possible to raise responsible children without hitting/whipping them AND without giving excessive praise. There is a middle ground.

I have 5 kids. Three of them I never had to touch. One of those three, I could make cry with a look. Another of the three, the worst thing I could possibly do was to send her to bed 5 minutes early. The other two, well, they were difficult.

Kids are all different and require different methods.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
IndyCamp wrote:
jplante4 wrote:

My parents (in particular my mother) went by spare the rod and spoil the child. The only trophy I ever got was a welt across my backside.

I was also beaten as a child as a means of punishment, but I never once put my hands on my son for anything other than a hug or high-five. He is one of the best behaved kids I have seen.

It is possible to raise responsible children without hitting/whipping them AND without giving excessive praise. There is a middle ground.

Discipline is not a bad thing. Overall we need more of it
hitting/whipping is not a bad thing... I don't mean abuse.
I recieved pleny of whippings as a kid I was not abused.
Too many would rather reason with a kid than discipline them.
I
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

seagrace
Explorer
Explorer
am1958 wrote:
My father put the cane to my rear more then once... I'm still not a serial killer...

Odd that...

My father did this too. I'm not a serial killer either. Unfortunately, however, it caused a lifetime of resentment that lasts to this day, well past his demise. The good of this is that it caused me to raise two beautiful, intelligent, socially responsible and respectable women without having to resort to beating them as "discipline"

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I have seen irresponsible people of all ages. I remember growing up in the 60's hearing how irresponsible the baby boomer generation was. I guess we look at the past through rose colored glasses.

am1958
Explorer
Explorer

Odd that...

bshgto1
Explorer
Explorer
My EX-wife was like her.
2018.5 Montana 3791 Rear Den
Electric brakes suck Disk brakes it`s the only way
Andersen Ultimate on the pucks, 5th AirBorne Mor/ryde SRE 4000 X Factors....real smooth ride
2018 Ford F350 Dually 6.7 Top Dog 5595 payload

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
I think most of these issues can be traced back to Dr. Benjamin Spock and his book (first published in 1946). I can guarantee that neither of my parents read this book and I surely did not. The kids' mother may have, which would account for a lot of stupid ideas she came up with.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

IndyCamp
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
With all this talk about snowflakes (including those removed) and the fact that we're apparently raising up a generation of people who can't take responsibility for themselves, I have to point out an interesting observation...

Nowhere, absolutely nowhere in this thread or the "review in question" is the reviewer's age or demographic indicated. Are they 20 years old or 100 years old or somewhere in between?? Or is just easier and more convenient to assume that this person must be some young snowflake millennial that was always handed participation trophies instead of considering that they may be a retired baby-boomer?

THANK YOU!

I am not a Millennial, but I am tired of everything being blamed on that demographic.

I work with many Millennials, and they work just as hard as their Gen-X and Baby Boomer counterparts. In fact, in my experience they are willing to work just as hard for less money.

As for "participation trophies," who gave them those trophies? It was their Gen-X and Baby Boomer parents. Who treated them like "special snowflakes?" It was their Gen-X and Baby Boomer parents. The Millennials didn't crawl out of the womb asking to be given special treatment. Don't be mad at a generation that YOU raised.

Look in the mirror, everyone.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
2014 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI

am1958
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:

Having just slid past 60 I can assure you that my generation had it's fair share of snowflakes and they have been breeding profusely it would seem. I see quite a few of them on these forums to be honest*.

* Comment not aimed at anyone in particular - just an observation after a couple of years reading here regularly.

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF