cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Govt. Shutdown threads in RV Parks & Campgrounds

dedmiston
First an introduction. My name is Dave and I've been the moderator in this forum for about a year now since our beloved former moderator stepped down. I moderate a number of other forums here, most notably the Toy Hauler forum for the past 14 years.

My philosophy for moderating is to use a very very light touch and let grownups be grownups. I don't personally mind it much when topics wander off point; heaven knows I'm easily knocked off topic in my own personal conversations. But like in my personal life, I don't stand for rude people disrespecting each other. I like to try to nudge people back towards civility when I can. When that doesn't work, I edit/delete the offending posts, and unfortunately, any posts that referred to them.

(Sidebar: One of the most common questions I'm asked is "Why did you delete the posts from the nice people who responded back to that jerk?" Well, there isn't any other way to do it. Obviously the post that incited all of the upset reactions needs to go, but the responses are unfortunately collateral damage. You can't very well leave the posts intact that refer directly to the topic that started all the trouble in the first place. So they all need to go.)

Speaking of deleting, some people ask me why I don't send a PM explaining why I deleted their post. I used to, but I learned the hard way that this is a bad idea. For the most part we're all adults here and probably somewhat set in our ways by now. Telling a jerk why I deleted his/her post won't train the jerk how to be a good person after that. Most people who behave that way already know that's how they are. And the ones who don't already know it, well...I don't think I'm strong willed enough to teach them how to be better people. Most of those PMs turn into arguments and life is too short for that.

That's my long-winded and one-year-late introduction. Some of you may have already noticed a post from me here from time to time, but I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless I have legitimate firsthand experience with the park/campground being discussed. That's my M.O. here anyway. In the Toy Hauler forum I'm an unabashed participant because it's a fun place to hang out with people like myself.

That's me.

On to the topic at hand...

Our government is presently shut down and many of you/us are upset about it. Many members are taking to this forum to voice their displeasure and speak out.

This isn't the right place for those outcries though.

The tone of the posts in this forum has become very dark and cutting, even for the topics that don't relate to the shutdown. And even stranger, this tidal change began earlier in December, predating the govt. shutdown.

I've closed and deleted more posts in the past four weeks than I have in the previous months combined since I began working with this forum. That's horrible. It can't continue, or all the nice people will go away and only the mean ones will remain.

I've done my best to add warnings to steer the conversations, but that hasn't worked. It's time for a new tactic, partly because the old methods weren't working and partly because time is precious.

I have started deleting threads outright. *POOF* They're gone. No more subtle shepherding. Let's see how that works.

To conclude, if you have a nasty thought, save it for Facebook or test it out on one of the local humans or pets in your life. See how your dog responds when you tell her that Washington is out of control. Ranting to your dog has little effect, and so does ranting on an RV forum. Ranting isn't good for you anyway. You're no less upset once you've said your piece, but now the other members are miserable with you. And misery doesn't really like company.

I look forward to brighter days and hope that we can all do our parts to keep things brighter here and now.

Let's go camping.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230
18 REPLIES 18

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Whats Facebook
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate your work Dave!
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Charles wrote:
Thumbs up to Dave,now not to get off topic but, what happened to the 3 guys in the bar?

...Two guys walked into a bar. The third one ducked. ๐Ÿ™‚

It does seem that civil discourse is much less civil anymore, and I am starting to think politics isn't the cause, it is just a scapegoat.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dave, I truly appreciate your efforts on the behalf of this forum and its congenial tone. Thank you for intervening regarding the negative comments. As a volunteer you do it for the love of RVing and you should know that many of us here admire you for that. :c
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

neil57
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your time, many are critics, although few will step into your shoes.
2009 2500HD Sierra CC DA
2014 Crossroads Cruiser 35ss

JT
Explorer
Explorer
Definitely appreciate Dave's efforts to maintain civility; I'm sure that it can often be a time-consuming, frustrating, disappointing, and thankless job!

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer
Amen, and thank you. I'm concerned that the (lack of) manners on Facebook and other forums are diminishing the quality of public discourse. I don't have any hard numbers to prove it, but my perception is that helpful posts are declining while argumentative posts are on the rise.
49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Roger that... and... bump!

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. What a great guy. Thanks for your tireless efforts to keep the forum civil and respectful. It's unfortunate things have gotten a little off track but this sounds like a good approach.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
You're doing a great job -- keep it up! Hang in there -- I have seen what happens to completely unmoderated forums (on other sites), and the discussions soon veer off into childish name-calling.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
IMO you are doing just great! Thank you.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank you for all your โ€˜thanklessโ€™ efforts Dave.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Thumbs up to Dave,now not to get off topic but, what happened to the 3 guys in the bar?

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
First an introduction. My name is Dave and I've been the moderator in this forum for about a year now since our beloved former moderator stepped down. I moderate a number of other forums here, most notably the Toy Hauler forum for the past 14 years.

My philosophy for moderating is to use a very very light touch and let grownups be grownups. I don't personally mind it much when topics wander off point; heaven knows I'm easily knocked off topic in my own personal conversations. But like in my personal life, I don't stand for rude people disrespecting each other. I like to try to nudge people back towards civility when I can. When that doesn't work, I edit/delete the offending posts, and unfortunately, any posts that referred to them.

(Sidebar: One of the most common questions I'm asked is "Why did you delete the posts from the nice people who responded back to that jerk?" Well, there isn't any other way to do it. Obviously the post that incited all of the upset reactions needs to go, but the responses are unfortunately collateral damage. You can't very well leave the posts intact that refer directly to the topic that started all the trouble in the first place. So they all need to go.)

Speaking of deleting, some people ask me why I don't send a PM explaining why I deleted their post. I used to, but I learned the hard way that this is a bad idea. For the most part we're all adults here and probably somewhat set in our ways by now. Telling a jerk why I deleted his/her post won't train the jerk how to be a good person after that. Most people who behave that way already know that's how they are. And the ones who don't already know it, well...I don't think I'm strong willed enough to teach them how to be better people. Most of those PMs turn into arguments and life is too short for that.

That's my long-winded and one-year-late introduction. Some of you may have already noticed a post from me here from time to time, but I tend to keep my thoughts to myself unless I have legitimate firsthand experience with the park/campground being discussed. That's my M.O. here anyway. In the Toy Hauler forum I'm an unabashed participant because it's a fun place to hang out with people like myself.

That's me.

On to the topic at hand...

Our government is presently shut down and many of you/us are upset about it. Many members are taking to this forum to voice their displeasure and speak out.

This isn't the right place for those outcries though.

The tone of the posts in this forum has become very dark and cutting, even for the topics that don't relate to the shutdown. And even stranger, this tidal change began earlier in December, predating the govt. shutdown.

I've closed and deleted more posts in the past four weeks than I have in the previous months combined since I began working with this forum. That's horrible. It can't continue, or all the nice people will go away and only the mean ones will remain.

I've done my best to add warnings to steer the conversations, but that hasn't worked. It's time for a new tactic, partly because the old methods weren't working and partly because time is precious.

I have started deleting threads outright. *POOF* They're gone. No more subtle shepherding. Let's see how that works.

To conclude, if you have a nasty thought, save it for Facebook or test it out on one of the local humans or pets in your life. See how your dog responds when you tell her that Washington is out of control. Ranting to your dog has little effect, and so does ranting on an RV forum. Ranting isn't good for you anyway. You're no less upset once you've said your piece, but now the other members are miserable with you. And misery doesn't really like company.

I look forward to brighter days and hope that we can all do our parts to keep things brighter here and now.

Let's go camping.

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach