cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cleaning your awning

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
When I opened my awning for the first time this season, I was a bit shocked at how dirty it looks. I often stay under pine trees, they drop sap everywhere. When you roll up your awning this sap just spreads all over both sides of the cloth. Dead bugs stick to it, its just a mess. I have tried a commercial "Awning cleaner" I purchased at Camping World. Doesn't even touch it. Anybody have a favorite product, or better yet a home brew cleaner that will actually work?
16 REPLIES 16

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
I use Mold Armor on the awning. No scrubbing required. Spray on, let sit for a few minutes and hose off. Works great on the propane cylinder cover too. Find at Walmart, Home Depot or Lowes. Got rid of both yellow and brown stains.

bartlettj wrote:
I wish awnings just came brown from the factory.
Mine did!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TomC1216
Explorer
Explorer
I have also used Awesome with good results on our old travel trailer. Our newer fifth wheel, however, has a power awning that we cannot disconnect the legs and lay it flat against the siding to really clean it well.
Tom & Mary
2018 Ford F250 6.7L Diesel Platinum
2011 Open Range 337RLS 5th Wheel

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
RGar974417 wrote:
Here are 2 things. You can buy Awesome at the dollar store.A spray bottle is $1.00 and they sell gallon refills.That does work pretty good. Some years ago,I was told to put some car wash in a bucket and throw it on the awning then roll it up.Leave it there for 20 minutes then open and rinse. That works ok for general cleaning but the Awesome and a scrub brush on a poll are still needed for the tougher spots.

just be VERY careful with Awesome. It will take the finish off the side of the RV, and the decals
I have used the Awesome on several different trailers and never had a problem with graphics.But I do small sections at a time.Spray it on,let it soak for a minute then wash and rinse.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Roll out the awning and get it wet.
Spray Tilex on the underneath of it
Roll it up and wait 30 minutes, then unroll and spray it off
If there are still a few little spots, spray them and roll it up for another 15 minutes or so.

I have not scrubbed my awning since doing this method

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mikeflys wrote:
I like the roll it up idea. I will give that a try!! Thanks again.

When you are rolling it OUT, roll it just a little at a time and then use the carwash brush to clean the awning area on the roller, gives you something to push against. Roll out a little more, repeat.

Your topside will then be cleaned ๐Ÿ˜‰

As you roll it up, any cleaner on the topside will contact the underside. But whatever you can hit with a brush, just don't push too hard to hurt the awning. The first 6-10" near the awning as you unroll it works for the bottom, too.

It's harder as you roll it up because the spring is free. Rolling out is notched and will stay where you stop it.

Good luck!

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
I like the roll it up idea. I will give that a try!! Thanks again.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
Some of the manuals suggest Spic-n-Span, roll it up, then rinse off. Using a car wash brush on a handle doesn't hurt and can do a better job.

As mentioned above, watch you don't get anything in your eyes ๐Ÿ˜‰

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I wish awnings just came brown from the factory.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We just use a mixture of even parts Dawn dishwashing liquid and white vinegar then water, roll it up and let it sit, then open up and scrub again. Even if you don't roll up the awning, it still works wonders. Just watch for those drips that can get in your eyes.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
i use a mixture of dish washing liquid,bleach and water mixed up in a garden sprayer apply it and use the roll up method. unroll it an scrub it with a long handle brush adding more of my soap mix then rinse as i go it does a good job dissolves most of the sticky stuff from the trees. the magic eraser sponges also are amazing but do not last long. 2-Gallon Sprayer

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
LA Totally Awesome cleaner didn't touch our stains. It's almost as if the stains are part of the awning. Soap doesn't touch it either. I even took charcoal lighter fluid and scrubbed one spot with a rag. Didn't help at all. Just gonna have to live with it I guess
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
RGar974417 wrote:
Here are 2 things. You can buy Awesome at the dollar store.A spray bottle is $1.00 and they sell gallon refills.That does work pretty good. Some years ago,I was told to put some car wash in a bucket and throw it on the awning then roll it up.Leave it there for 20 minutes then open and rinse. That works ok for general cleaning but the Awesome and a scrub brush on a poll are still needed for the tougher spots.

just be VERY careful with Awsome. It will take the finish off the side of the RV, and the decals
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Clean magic eraser works for me. Needs a lot of elbow grease but it will clean up.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Type of sap I get...I wait for good freeze and use a credit card to scrape off when sap is frozen solid. Works for me.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"