cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Selling on Craigslist or other web site Scam

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well in the process of selling the old Tow Vehicle. Currently have it posted on Craigslist. I have gotten two almost identical responses (Below).

"Derek Teer

5:03 AM (7 hours ago)

to me
Please make sure that you get one from cardetailcheck.com since they are most accurate. Not all history reports are the same. I have used them for both of my cars and they always worked like a charm."

"Seth Nash

Wed, May 1, 1:05 PM (5 days ago)

to me
Hello, I was reaching out to you about your vehicle for sale. Do you have a current vehicle history report for it? If not, I suggest getting one at:

http://www.vinhistory.report

When I was selling my vehicle I got one from there to show people that were interested. It was only $19 which is half the cost of Carfax($40 or more). It will show if there are any issues with it. The peace of mind it gives for such a large sale is a bonus too.

It will verify that it has not been in any bad accidents, that it has a clean title and that it has not been stolen. There are so many scams out there. People are more likely to look at it with a report provided - it will definitely help you with the sale.

Let me know if this helps. Thanks!"

What makes me think it is a scam is I have and have provided a CarFax on the truck, yet the "Buyer" will insist on getting one from the site they recommend.
My thought is this is a web site set up by them to capture Credit Card information.
When we were looking for our current TV, I spent the money to get a six pack of CarFax reports. If I was very interested I would one to get vital information.

Just a warning.
Russ
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"
21 REPLIES 21

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I was getting the same thing when I was selling my X. Not sure if it's a scam, maybe someone trying to get a new report going? Either way I wouldn't and didn't respond.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking up the value of my DW's car and didn't unclick the "Give Me A Quote" button. Within minutes and for weeks after, I got calls from used car dealers offering to buy the car. The business is very competitive.

However, these quick start, abuse the internet types have no interest in the actual industry they invade. Get in, make a few bucks and get out before the "regulators" catch up to you. Anyone who thinks these people are just trying to eek out a living by supplying a useful service in a competitive business, I have a bridge for sale. Oh, you bought the bridge last week from someone else? Then you need insurance!

johnsaroza92
Explorer
Explorer
Upon checking it, I think it is simply a harmless, annoying advertisement. The tough competition in the car report providing market may explain this scenario. Regardless, I would rather follow an option ( https://vincheck.info/ ) recommended by a friend than follow VIN check ads that appear out of nowhere.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 words weed out all the scammers and spammers instantly.
"Call me " if you're interested in the ______.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
IdaD wrote:
I sold a camper trailer and vehicles on craigslist in the past and there have always been some scammers but they're pretty obvious compared to locals who want to actually come look. Just deal locally and it's pretty safe. I'll admit to carrying a pistol under my shirt whenever I have anybody at the house for a look, though. If I really wanted to be careful I'd probably arrange a meeting at the local police station which is what they ask people to do.

X2

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
"I am interested in that thing you have for sale can you reply with your email and number, or call me at this number XXX-XXX-XXXX?"

This message works for campers or doll houses, and scammers just paste this message into replies all day long for any and every ad on CL. Sometimes they just want to put a name to a phone number so they can sell to phone solicitors. Sometimes they want your real email and name so they can sell to email spammers. Sometimes these are harmless other than getting another spam email, sometimes they might be trying to steal identity.Sometimes they want your address.

Look for responses to your ad that seem to be asking good questions about what you are selling, not just asking for your email or phone or name. These generic ones I tend to delete, but one time I got a suspicious looking one where the guy asked no questions, he just wanted to come see it and needed to know where to come. I answered with caution, but turned out he bought my old camper, so just be warned

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
CFerguson wrote:
Tell me again why anyone who is SELLING a car would ever hand out money....?

There she sits, if you want her, give me the cash. Otherwise you can move along. Machts nicht to me.

Exactly! The vehicle is to be sold "As is, Where is, No warranty expressed or implied!"
You want a "history report", YOU buy it.
You want "Maintenance Records", I can furnish receipts for oil changes from the local quick-lube place, that's it.
By the way, before I can sell the vehicle to you, I must enter your name and address in the proper places on the Title, then I can get my signature notarized. No name and address, no sale!
I never have problems with scammers.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
Tell me again why anyone who is SELLING a car would ever hand out money....?

There she sits, if you want her, give me the cash. Otherwise you can move along. Machts nicht to me.

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œI would not have even gone to those sites.โ€

We havenโ€™t either. All theyโ€™ve cost us is time which is bad enough.

Until it becomes possible to email someone a strong electric shock, we just move on and wait for the next jerk. Thereโ€™s always another one.

:):)
2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:
โ€œSo really can not blame those folks trying to make a go of itโ€

Yeah, I can. Being taken for even a few bucks by someone who has absolutely no intention of buying my car is a bad business practice, unethical, and will not help make their business a success. Lots of things are โ€œextremely toughโ€. Thatโ€™s no excuse for what theyโ€™re doing.

If you really want to do something about it, then look up the hosting services for the web site using a Whois Search. Then go to the website of the domain host and look up their abuse email address. You can use that to report that the person who's domain they are hosting is sending spam email. They may do something about it, they may not.

I would not have even gone to those sites.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Carfax is only as good as those that report to them. Until insurance companies are required by law to report damage claims it's only as good as the repair facility and their policy on reporting repairs. The rash of hurricanes in the last 2-3 years is a good example. You better be checking close, and a fresh title is a dead giveaway.
Puma 30RKSS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
NRALIFR wrote:

Yeah, I can. Being taken for even a few bucks by someone who has absolutely no intention of buying my car is a bad business practice, unethical, and will not help make their business a success. Lots of things are โ€œextremely toughโ€. Thatโ€™s no excuse for what theyโ€™re doing.

Agreed. These guys are posing as buyers in order to mislead. It IS a scam.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those are Spam/scammers, ignore and go on with your life.

ANYONE that tells ME that "I MUST buy some report" from an unknown and possibly malicious website makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up..

Those folks are trying to get you to go to that website and get you to give them your name, credit card info (including the security code) with who knows what other information that will harvest from that website visit..

It is called "social engineering" folks and it is a quick way to part you from your personal information and possibly banking info..

It IS up to the BUYER of the vehicle if they want a carfax or other car report, if they want one then it SHOULD be the buyer paying for it, not you the seller..

If they demand that you pay for it, tell them to take a hike, there ARE plenty of other folks out there who don't care..

Those car reports are often flawed and will not contain the ENTIRE history of the vehicle since they can't get info of PERSONAL OWNER REPAIRS or repairs not reported to an insurance company..

NRALIFR
Explorer
Explorer

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450 โ€˜Scuse me while I whinge.
And for all you Scooby-Doo and Yosemite Sam typesโ€ฆโ€ฆโ€ฆ..Letโ€™s Go Brandon!!!