cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric cooler off of 12 volts

LarryDel
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased Coleman Electric cooler. It runs on 12 volts or 120 with adapter. We have class C motorhome and in a seasonal campground with electric hookup. We would prefer to plug cooler into 12 volt source permanently because there is not a nearby 120 outlet. Will this cause any problems such as running batteries down or over using 12 volt outlet. Thanks much!
22 REPLIES 22

westend
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
How do you close up the outside fridge vent panel? For me, I will want it 100% weather sealed, then insulated like the walls are insulated.
I replaced the formed vent with a solid panel. An owner can cover the inside of the vented panel with a solid panel, add in the requisite insulation and have exactly what you desire. When installing insulation, opt for extruded foam board. It is a much superior insulator than fiberglass batt and won't suffer from condensation as much as the spun stuff.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

swhitset
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
LarryDel wrote:
We would prefer to plug cooler into 12 volt source permanently because there is not a nearby 120 outlet. Will this cause any problems such as running batteries down or over using 12 volt outlet. Thanks much!

this conflicts with your other statement. will run fine IMHO on shore power. suggesting dumping your $59 cooler for a $800 one seem unhelpful.
bumpy

I see no conflicting information. OP obviously has a 12 volt plug available in an area where there is no 120 volt ac plug. For whatever reason (OPโ€™s business) he would prefer to locate the cooler in that location. As has already been stated, as long as he is plugged into shore power, his converter should easily keep up with the draw of the cooler. While this may not be the most efficient use of power, it will work fine.
2018 Salem 26BHLX 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie 4WD 5.7 Hemi

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
DC fridges beg the questionโ€ฆ

How do you close up the outside fridge vent panel? For me, I will want it 100% weather sealed, then insulated like the walls are insulated.

Bumpy, I dont think beer is food. Your Bologna will spoil at 41

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
Needs to be 38 or below.

I like my beer at 41 degrees.
bumpy

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
โ€œWill this cause any problems such as running batteries down or over using 12 volt outlet.โ€

How can anyone answer without OP giving the Colemanโ€™s amp hour draw? Of course if OP knew the amp hour draw, heโ€™d know the answer.

Because there are only a few of these brands out there, some of us owned them, and they all have known performances.
No matter the brand the performance will be similar.

I'd suggest go on Craigslist under the FREE section and pick up a dorm fridge for OP who wants to be plugged into 120v all the time.
Problem with the Coleman (under $100 coolers) is they can only cool down to 40 degrees below ambient temp, at best, in the shade. So, any day over 78 and the fridge will not keep food from spoiling. Needs to be 38 or below.

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
We also have a Koolatron for about 3 years now. Our original Coleman died. We keep mostly drink in ours and supplement it by changing ice packs from the freezer daily. It does fine for what we need it for and has never drained our battery as long as plugged into shore power.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
The 40quart Colman is rated at 4 amps, I have a Koolatron and they are all rated at 4.5 amps or less. It works fine from a 12v outlet but I won't use it unless my rig is plugged in. They aren't regulated so they just maintain about a 30F differential from ambient temperature. If you leave them plugged in on cooler evenings, some things will freeze overnight. Great for keeping drinks cold but I wouldn't keep anything perishable in one for more than a day or two if it is really warm outside.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Something like this..

Those are not a compressor fridge, they are based on a solid state device based on the "Peltier effect" of passing a current through a semi conductor which creates a cold side and a hot side.

They are horribly inefficient electric wise and they can only cool down to 40 degrees below the ambient air temperature.

Basically if it is 80F the lowest it can get inside is 40F which is marginally OK for food.

If it is 90F then the lowest it can get inside is 50F which is in the danger zone for food.

If it is 70F the lowest it can go is 30F and then your food starts freezing..

In a nutshell, no real reliable temperature regulation..

There are much better 12V fridges out there which have a compressor, yes they are not cheap but they are far more reliable as far as keeping your food cold..

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
LarryDel wrote:
We would prefer to plug cooler into 12 volt source permanently because there is not a nearby 120 outlet. Will this cause any problems such as running batteries down or over using 12 volt outlet. Thanks much!

this conflicts with your other statement. will run fine IMHO on shore power. suggesting dumping your $59 cooler for a $800 one seem unhelpful.
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œWill this cause any problems such as running batteries down or over using 12 volt outlet.โ€

How can anyone answer without OP giving the Colemanโ€™s amp hour draw? Of course if OP knew the amp hour draw, heโ€™d know the answer.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Depends on how much power the thing draws and how much battery you have as well as how much your TV's alternator puts out. Not a simple question with a yes or no answer.

A common battery type used in many RVs has about 40 amp hours of available power. If that's all you've got, the more efficient unit @wa8yxm mentions will flatten your battery in about 11 hours, or a little less, unless your engine is running and alternator is supplying that power.

((NOTE: I said AVAILABLE power. Use more than that of the battery total power, and you will indeed KILL the battery, as in damage it.))

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two types of 12 volt coolers one runs on 12/120 the other on 12 period

The Compressor types (Danfoss class compressors) are power sippers.. typically less than 40 watts (or about 3 amps at 12 volt) if you have enough battery (I do) they work well (it does)

The other kind (Peltier Effect) has no moving parts save possibly a fan. Some of them can heat as well as cool (the chip works both ways) these are POWER SUCKERS typically drawing 6-10 amps for even a small (less than 1 CUBIC FOOT) box. They will kill your battery.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
It will run fine of a 12V outlet as long as your rig is plugged in. The only thing we found is the battery charger and converter cooling fan runs constantly to keep the batteries topped up.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have two of the small compressor type frigs work great ,we use 12v plug while on the road and 120v when we stop, been doing it for years ours do a great job.once things are froze the compressor does not run very often.