Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Locks on Propane tanks?

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

When I went to my 5th wheel in storage recently I noticed that both my propane tank doors were slightly open. The tanks were still there and nothing else was disturbed.

My question is the straps holding the tank have provisions for a lock. Is it legal to have locks on the tanks? I know that the compartments aren't supposed to have locks.

Thanks!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
28 REPLIES 28

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
place a good chain and lock through the handles of the tanks and a very secure mount. place the lock behind so not so easy to get to.
think pick and cut resistant in the mounting of the chain/lock. one more layer to overcome. most crooks will just pass it by for a easy theft.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
By law in both countries, I think , Propane assess doors need to be unlocked.. If you have a TT with 2 -30 lb'ers jusr get a long shank lock and lock the wing nut to the assembly.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Who is going to steal a propane tank? They are not worth much to begin with. I got my last 2 for free. They were discarded because they had aged out. I just turned them in at an exchange station.

OP here,

My tanks are 30 Gallon tanks and all of the exchange locations only have 20 gallon tanks.

To purchase an empty tank the cost is $75.00 at Tractor Supply.

Tractor Supply 30 Gallon Propane Tank

$150.00 for two tanks plus the cost of propane is not a small amount of change for me.
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Who is going to steal a propane tank? They are not worth much to begin with. I got my last 2 for free. They were discarded because they had aged out. I just turned them in at an exchange station.

Tweakers. They want the propane, not the cylinder.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
My understanding is that propane doors are supposed to be NOT locked so that gas can be turned off in case of fire, even if the occupant is not at home.

And unlocked propane compartments are required on ferries which have a checker who must be sure the bottles are turned off.

No problem padlocking the strap that holds the bottles in place.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Propane Compartment doors are NOT suppose to be locked (easy access to service valves if needed)
Just about every fifth wheel has propane in the lockable front compartment or lockable side compartments.
I see no reason for public access.

I've owned a half dozen 5ers over the years and not one came with a lockable propane compartment. One could easily modify to a lock if they wanted to do so.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
When I put new locks on my fifth wheel storage compartments, I added one to the propane compartment door. My rule is whenever the propane is turned on, the compartment is unlocked

RollandB
Explorer
Explorer
Vette Racer wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Propane Compartment doors are NOT suppose to be locked (easy access to service valves if needed)
Just about every fifth wheel has propane in the lockable front compartment or lockable side compartments.
Neither of our two fifth wheels or two others I'm familiar with have locking doors for the propane access.

X2
Every 5er I have owned or looked at didnโ€™t have locks on the propane access doors.
x3, NO locks!

X4, but I did drill the hold down between the two tanks to lick the wing nut with a long shank Masterlock I had on hand.
2013 Yukon

2021 Coachmen Spirit 1943RB

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

I have had 4 5th wheels and not one of them had locking doors!
cpaulsen

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
I use cables around the tray and through the cylinder collar with a padlock to secure mine. At least they won't just walk away.

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
No locks on my rigs.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
NFPA 1192 Standard for Recreational Vehicles prohibits locks on propane compartment doors or enclosures.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
2manytoyz wrote:
The propane tank on our Class A has a door with a lock, so no reason not to lock yours. That will keep the opportunist from taking your tanks, but not someone determined.

IT should not have that lock. Propane tanks are supposed to be so located that the FD can turn 'em off.. a lock on the door defeats that.

NOW.. that said.. I'm not sure if locking the tanks on a portable tank type rig is legal or not but suspect it is legal. So long as the valve can be turned off. I stress that word SUSPECT. however I DO NOT KNOW so by all means check it out. Do not take my word for it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times