cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F150 4x4

Bahcml
Explorer
Explorer
We are newbies to 5th wheels, in fact don't have one yet but are considering a 2005 KZ Durango 285RL. Is it too heavy for our vehicle? , which is a 2010 F150 Supercab 4x4 with a heavy-duty payload package. Specs say we can go up to 9700 lbs, but we'd love to hear from people who have experience with 5th wheel towing.
21 REPLIES 21

Palindat
Explorer
Explorer
The newer F150's with the HD payload only have 6 studs. My brother has one and tows a 2016 puma 5th wheel. I think its around 27'. His truck has 2450 payload and he has a few hundred pounds to spare on his rear axle when loaded up. Tows no problem with the 2nd generation 3.5 ecoboost.
Rick
2010 F150 XTR 4X4 Max Trailer Tow
2001 Security W26SLQRK

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
goducks10 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
I'm about as far from the weight cops as anyone on here and I wouldn't call that an ideal setup if it's a 10klb fiver.
I'd pull it and it wouldn't scare me. Fine if it was local trips and not mountains. For extensive travel I'd find a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

Unlike most of the posts, the pin weight wouldn't bother me at all. Shore up the rear suspension by one of many competent means. 2000lbs giver take on the back of a newer half ton truck won't hurt it, in my experience.
My issue would be first, it's a 2010, so 5.4/4 speed correct? Reliable combo, decent power, but nothing compared to the 2011 and up Eco or 5.0 and 6 speed or the newer versions with 10 speed.
Second, is its kind of a smallish truck for that trailer. Again, depending on how/where you're planning on using it.
Last, it's a 2010. If it's high miles, you're pushing the capability of the truck more than if it's low miles/newer. This is dependent on the condition of the truck.

2010 had the 5.4 with a 6sp. Big issue is that you only have tow haul mode. No way to lock out OD. I towed 72-7300 lbs with my 2010 5.4 3.73. The tranny hunted all day long. On the flats running around 60-62 mph and approaching an overpass it would kick down to 4th, completely missing 5th, then when cresting and heading down the overpass it would go to 5th, then 6th and then once settled in it would either drop back to 5th or stay in 6th. For the most part it was very irritating. I had a scan gauge and monitored temps. The good part was that Ford beefed up the tranny cooling and the tranny temps stayed pretty constant even with all the hunting.
JMHO here, but the 5.4 (dog) and the non selectable tranny was probably the worst combo for anything over 5000 lbs. The 5.4 even with 3.73 gears didn't have enough power to hold a gear even on the slightest inclines.

My bad, the 6 speed did come a couple years before the new engines. No manual mode though?
Agree, I'm not a fan of the 5.4 for heavy towing vs the 5.0 or Eco.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
I think the easiest way to check for HD package is to count the wheel stud's. 6 on std, 7 on HD payload.
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

Bahcml
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone. Think we'll not consider a 5th wheel, or if we do we'll have to consider another truck. Lots of knowledge and good comments here.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Bahcml wrote:
Thanks for all the info and the notation that I needed to add more info. So here goes, it is a 2010 F150 Supercab 4x4, it has a "trailer towing package" (under the standard equipment on the sticker)not Heavy Duty Payload Package, 3.73 electronic lock RR axle, 7200 GVWR package, but I can't seem to find the RAWR, nor can I find the GVWR for the fifth wheel, but Jerry (above) says it around 1500 lbs. Really appreciate all the info and knowledge on this site so comments are hoped for and welcome.

in my previous post, i told you what to look for.
driver's door sticker with this:

"Passengers and cargo should not exceed xxxxlbs."

i was pretty sure you didn't have the HD Payload package. And just a "standard trailer tow package" is NOT the Max Tow package.

not having either tells me that your F150 is not going to have good tow numbers and definitely not enough for a 5th wheel.

and NO way will a 5th wheel have a GVWR of 1500lbs.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
I'm about as far from the weight cops as anyone on here and I wouldn't call that an ideal setup if it's a 10klb fiver.
I'd pull it and it wouldn't scare me. Fine if it was local trips and not mountains. For extensive travel I'd find a smaller trailer or a bigger truck.

Unlike most of the posts, the pin weight wouldn't bother me at all. Shore up the rear suspension by one of many competent means. 2000lbs giver take on the back of a newer half ton truck won't hurt it, in my experience.
My issue would be first, it's a 2010, so 5.4/4 speed correct? Reliable combo, decent power, but nothing compared to the 2011 and up Eco or 5.0 and 6 speed or the newer versions with 10 speed.
Second, is its kind of a smallish truck for that trailer. Again, depending on how/where you're planning on using it.
Last, it's a 2010. If it's high miles, you're pushing the capability of the truck more than if it's low miles/newer. This is dependent on the condition of the truck.

2010 had the 5.4 with a 6sp. Big issue is that you only have tow haul mode. No way to lock out OD. I towed 72-7300 lbs with my 2010 5.4 3.73. The tranny hunted all day long. On the flats running around 60-62 mph and approaching an overpass it would kick down to 4th, completely missing 5th, then when cresting and heading down the overpass it would go to 5th, then 6th and then once settled in it would either drop back to 5th or stay in 6th. For the most part it was very irritating. I had a scan gauge and monitored temps. The good part was that Ford beefed up the tranny cooling and the tranny temps stayed pretty constant even with all the hunting.
JMHO here, but the 5.4 (dog) and the non selectable tranny was probably the worst combo for anything over 5000 lbs. The 5.4 even with 3.73 gears didn't have enough power to hold a gear even on the slightest inclines.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bahcml wrote:
Thanks for all the info and the notation that I needed to add more info. So here goes, it is a 2010 F150 Supercab 4x4, it has a "trailer towing package" (under the standard equipment on the sticker)not Heavy Duty Payload Package, 3.73 electronic lock RR axle, 7200 GVWR package, but I can't seem to find the RAWR, nor can I find the GVWR for the fifth wheel, but Jerry (above) says it around 1500 lbs. Really appreciate all the info and knowledge on this site so comments are hoped for and welcome.

Look on the drivers side door jamb for a yellow and white sticker that will show your max cargo capacity, FAWR, RAWR.
I had a 2010 F150 with MaxTow 3.73 7650 GVWR. I had 1857 for payload.
I'm guessing you don't have much more than 1400-1500 lbs for payload.
You RAWR could be 3850-4050 lbs.
Certainly not near enough for a 5th wheel. But plenty doable for a 6000 lb loaded travel trailer.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Awe, I got redacted. for what, posting what the OP wants to hear?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Bahcml wrote:

FAWR and RAWR are on the same certification placard as the 7200 GVWR.

Looking at Ford fleet spec websites shows a 2010 7200 gvwr supercab 4x4 with those small 3850 rawr which is good for around 1400-1600 lbs in the bed. If this is your trucks case it simply doesn't have the axle/wheel/P tires and rear suspension to carry the pin weight from that size trailer.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Bahcml
Explorer
Explorer

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be an EXTREMELY rare 5er that would be capable of being towed by any 1/2 ton pickup. Maybe a Scamp 19' model. They weigh in about 2400# with a 400# pin weight dry.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
You don't have the HD payload package. If you did the tow rating would be closer to 11,200 lbs.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œSpecs say we can go up to 9700 lbs...โ€

The specs say much more than go up to 9700 pounds....payload, max for tires, max for rims, max for axels etc. Learn more about your truck and disbelieve any salesperson saying โ€œyou can tow anything on the lot.โ€ You canโ€™t....I canโ€™t with my Tahoe.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad