cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitch ball height with Reese Weight Distribution System

JDmouse
Explorer
Explorer

Hello. I have a Ford F150 and a Reese WDS with dual cams. According to the installation instructions the hitch ball should be 3/4" - 1" above the coupler when trailer is level. I can't get the number of links to 5 with my ball set at that hitch ball height. If I put the hitch ball up one level on the shank I can get the 5 links and the front of the truck only lifts up 1/4". Is it a problem to have the hitch ball 2" higher than the coupler? Any thoughts would be great.

5 REPLIES 5

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Sounds complicatedโ€ฆlol. 
How heavy is that trailer?  Can ya slap some airbags on or helper springs and go?  
so much less bullcheese to deal with unless itโ€™s REALLY heavy tongue weight or tows like a bag of d!cks and needs the sway control. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

It's only a 20 foot Gulfstream about 4000 pounds. Been playing around all weekend with ball height and tilts and got trailer level with 1/4" rise up front and 4 links between yoke and spring bar.

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II

I have been using that system on three trailers since 2004 and the easiest way to adjust the chain length, which determines whether or not there will be contact during sharp turns, is to adjust the ball tilt. That brings the back of the bars up or down. Level or close to it is correct for the bars but cannot always be achieved. How much tilt is mainly a trial and error kind of thing as you are also adjusting transferred weight at the same time. Bars lower in the back are better than lower in the front.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II

Itโ€™s not a problem if you have 2โ€ instead of 1โ€, itโ€™s not a problem if you have 4 links instead of 5 links, etc., etc., etc. What matters is the bars should be close to level when travel ready, and the front of the truck is at the position as recommended by the manufacturer when towing (the recommendation is different for different models and MY).

Thanks.