cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart overnight parking

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently told that Walmart has changed their policy concerning overnight parking nation wide and no longer allow overnight parking. I can't find anything doing a Google search. Can anyone confirm this?
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN
37 REPLIES 37

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CWilson wrote:

Well moderators, here comes another left leaning post, to counter some from the right;

Not surprising based on reading through some of your past posts. you seem to have an obsession with taking a lot of things in that direction.

Well this is a nod to my observation that as long as all posts are bashing liberal ideas it is fine, but any defense of the same idea is too political.

Why should only the people that can afford at least 2 homes, one of which has wheels, park for free?

Why not? They probably are dropping a hundred or two on groceries and other items during that stop for a few hours.

Want to bet on how much each group spends at WM? I imagine the fridge and pantry of the people in the lower income brackets will have a higher % of WM labels. Open the closet, even more likely to see mostly products sold Walmart

And the idea that homelessness is limited to any one state is crazy.

Who said anything even close to that? But since you mentioned it, WA and the other West coast states are solidly in the top 10 when it comes to the number of homeless people as a percentage of population by a long-shot, more than double actually. Of course that does not fit in with your narrative, whatever it is LOL

Well there could be lots of reasons, a major one has nothing to do with politics. Mild weather requires much less energy to survive.
Then there is the cost of counting houseless. I would bet states that send most tax money to federal government would be more willing to pay that cost, compared to states that get more from federal gov.
Then there is the idea a person that is down might prefer a area where more likely to get hand up, instead of kicked down.

The fact you post the deceptive maps implies you want it to be seen in political light. The fact the deceptive maps stay up proves my point; Bash left ideas is not political, but defending them is.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Well moderators, here comes another left leaning post, to counter some from the right;
Why should only the people that can afford at least 2 homes, one of which has wheels, park for free?

No need to stereotype people - I am pretty sure that Walmart just wants to keep their property from looking tattered and junky looking.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
About five years ago, a senior, after a ten day stay, was asked to move off one of the Walmart lots in Saskatoon.

He complied but pulled the valve on his black water tank open.

Since then, none of the Walmarts in Saskatchewan allow over night stays.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
If you want to see a Walmart parking lot that turns into a campground, go to the store in Pendleton, OR during the Pendleton Roundup.

8 years ago I was there while picking RVs to haul back to Spokane. People had lawn chairs, patio mats, dog fences and all sorts of paraphernalia strewn about around their rig. It really did look like a campground!
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
None of the RVs were Junkers, so may be up to security discretion.

Looks like the NO ALCOHOL rule for CGs. No problem as long as people behave in a responsible manner. Looks similar for some Walmarts. No problem for those obviously in transit for one night. Big problem for those who abuse the privilege.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
I and other RVers have actually stayed in Walmart lots with posted signs saying no overnight and security actively patrolling the lots.

One was in Sacramento where I have overnight several times. None of the RVs were Junkers, so may be up to security discretion.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Not surprising based on reading through some of your past posts. you seem to have an obsession with taking a lot of things in that direction.

Why not? They probably are dropping a hundred or two on groceries and other items during that stop for a few hours.

Who said anything even close to that? But since you mentioned it, WA and the other West coast states are solidly in the top 10 when it comes to the number of homeless people as a percentage of population by a long-shot, more than double actually. Of course that does not fit in with your narrative, whatever it is LOL

Must be a coincidence

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CWilson wrote:
deltabravo wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Parking at Walmart is a store-by-store situation depending on local ordinances and other factors.

Ditto.

The stores around me disallow it.... there were too many tattered and junky RVs hanging out for several days at a time, which made it appear as the people in them were homeless and moving from parking lot to parking lot.

Appear so because they are? Not surprising seeing it's WA.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Parking at Walmart is a store-by-store situation depending on local ordinances and other factors.

Ditto.

The stores around me disallow it.... there were too many tattered and junky RVs hanging out for several days at a time, which made it appear as the people in them were homeless and moving from parking lot to parking lot.

Appear so because they are? Not surprising seeing it's WA.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Tom_M wrote:
... downloaded a Walmart POI file from POI Factory

I sure wouldn't rely on some random app being 100% accurate. Things change faster than people can provide feedback to the app creators.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Second Chance wrote:

Ditto.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the lowdown on how this started. The person that told me this had downloaded a Walmart POI file from POI Factory three days ago. Every store was flagged as 'NOP' meaning No Overnight Parking and he assumed the worst. Today I downloaded a Walmart POI file from POI Factory and found that about one fourth of the stores were flagged NOP. Obviously somebody screwed up at POI Factory. Sorry for the confusion.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
TenOC wrote:
Our local store has a sign "No 24 hour parking"
So has ours, and many others, but then I know of NO ONE that "Overnights" for 24 hours, where ever we stop when traveling, be it WalMart, Interstate rest area, Truck Stop or where ever, it's usually from 4-6 hours.
I've seen signs that say No Overnight Parking, but I've never seen anyone run out of them.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
https://corporate.walmart.com/frequently-asked-questions

Per the information at the link above:

Can I park my RV at a Walmart store?

Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

Curious if anyone has a link where Walmart states who they consider to be among their worst customers??

Rice
Explorer
Explorer
Tom_M wrote:
I was recently told that Walmart has changed their policy concerning overnight parking nation wide and no longer allow overnight parking. I can't find anything doing a Google search. Can anyone confirm this?
Why didn't you ask the person who told you this where they got the information?