cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flying J/Pilot oil

MPI_Mallard
Explorer
Explorer
For the last twelve years going to Florida and back to Ontario {except for the last two winters, thank you covid/stupid Canadian goverment{ we have always fueled at Flying J/Pilot oil stations and stayed overnight however on the way down this fall we had a very bad experience with them as it apperars that the RV courtesy parking areas are filled with commercial trucks and other vehicles! On our last stop in Georgia we were told by the manager to park in the reserved area in back then after told to move eleswhere, after speaking to the owner, a very rude man I pointed out how the RV area was full of commercial vehicles and why aren't they told to park in back with the rest which he responded they really don't care and we were told we can stay put if we paid $18.00 so we did then moved on the next morning. Flying J really didn't have a response when I contacted them afterwards so I'm wondering if any other snowbirds have had a simular experience and have they a better solution?

Thanks in advance!!!
07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blรผcher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...
18 REPLIES 18

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
wapiticountry wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
That stupid Canadian Government kept the percentage of cases 1/3 of that in USA. That figure is reached by dividing the population into the number of cases.

If Canada had truly closed the border the numbers may have been much lower.

And letโ€™s not forget Don that those โ€˜stupidโ€™ measures resulted in *no* flu season either.

In a typical year about a dozen children die of influenza, in the 2020 / 2021 season there was ZERO deaths and not even a single case bad enough to require an ICU stay.

Agreed, the world would be a much safer place if everyone just locked themselves in a room and tossed away the key. As a matter of fact there is nothing stopping you from doing it today, even if the lockdowns, mandates and restrictions have been lifted for the general public. To paraphrase Dr. Spock, you would live long, just not prosper.

If you feel the need to be that cautious, go ahead, itโ€™s your right to do so.

Most of us though just balance the risks with the benefits, like wearing seatbelts or buying life insurance.

Unfortunately politics gets involved and the spin doctors turn everyday life events into major drama for nothing but their own agendaโ€ฆ..

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Thanks for this information--my next trip to usa I'll avoid Flying J.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
GTO66 wrote:
Once pilot bought flying J they stopped catering to RV'ers. The place is nowhere near as clean, and there prices went up considerably. Its a private business so they can operate it as they see fit. Just as we can choose to go elsewhere.
Now that you mention it that does seem to be when the prices jumped. I had never put the two together.

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

GTO66
Explorer
Explorer
Once pilot bought flying J they stopped catering to RV'ers. The place is nowhere near as clean, and there prices went up considerably. Its a private business so they can operate it as they see fit. Just as we can choose to go elsewhere.

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
pianotuna wrote:
That stupid Canadian Government kept the percentage of cases 1/3 of that in USA. That figure is reached by dividing the population into the number of cases.

If Canada had truly closed the border the numbers may have been much lower.

And letโ€™s not forget Don that those โ€˜stupidโ€™ measures resulted in *no* flu season either.

In a typical year about a dozen children die of influenza, in the 2020 / 2021 season there was ZERO deaths and not even a single case bad enough to require an ICU stay.

Agreed, the world would be a much safer place if everyone just locked themselves in a room and tossed away the key. As a matter of fact there is nothing stopping you from doing it today, even if the lockdowns, mandates and restrictions have been lifted for the general public. To paraphrase Dr. Spock, you would live long, just not prosper.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've noticed that Flying J diesel prices have crept above other places over the last few years (after the Pilot takeover?).

But now that I'm hauling a cargo trailer instead of my big RV I can stop pretty much anywhere. My RV will get hauled north only once more when I'm ready to sell it.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I guess prices have changed in USA. I've not driven there since the borders were closed, as I chose to snowbird via a plane trip in 2023.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
magicbus wrote:
โ€ฆBy time you pay their ridiculously high fuel prices there is little price difference and peace and quiet.

Dave

Dave,

I often found Flying J fuel cheaper than the competition. I've never stayed overnight at one.

We just got back to New England from Florida and would often notice that Flying J and Pilot along with other truck stop chains were about 8% higher than smaller stations. It makes sense because they offer a lot of additional services to drivers required to spend downtime somewhere, and someone needs to pay for that. When I used to travel a lot in my DP I often fueled and spent the night in FJ/Pilot. As it became more expensive (and more of a hassle) I migrated over to campgrounds and the occasional rest area.

Dave

with all of the NEW Govt Electronic Logging Device regulations, ALL rest stops-Truck Stops are at capacity with drivers that have NO CHOICE then pull off the road or be in violation..

Let the big rigs stay in those stops, they cannot fit in campgrounds like we can.... Or possibly Walmarts
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
magicbus wrote:
Guy Roan wrote:
Don't stay there any more.
Stay at a regular RV park like the rest of us do
Agreed. By time you pay their ridiculously high fuel prices there is little price difference and peace and quiet.

Dave

Dave,

I often found Flying J fuel cheaper than the competition. I've never stayed overnight at one.
Regards, Don

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Best solution. Don't stopat Flying J or Pilot.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Iโ€™m still scratching my head at the flaming of a private, for profit business trying to maximize those profits after what must have been a couple of very difficult years.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Guy Roan wrote:
Don't stay there any more.
Stay at a regular RV park like the rest of us do
Agreed. By time you pay their ridiculously high fuel prices there is little price difference and peace and quiet.

Dave

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
AND... it was not just the stupid Canadian gov't keeping us safe: even if Canada had had NO restrictions, you still couldn't drive over the border anyway.

Well, you probably could drive over the border but you'd get turned back at customs.