cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart overnight parking

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I was recently told that Walmart has changed their policy concerning overnight parking nation wide and no longer allow overnight parking. I can't find anything doing a Google search. Can anyone confirm this?
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN
37 REPLIES 37

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
deadticket8 wrote:
Quite a number of Walmarts have posted No Overnight parking. Some will allow with permission regardless. Some told me the police will likely knock on my door during the night because of local ordinance. I am on private property so whats up with that? Local Walmart policy I think.

Itโ€™s not Wally Worlds doing, itโ€™s the local governments doing.

I can tell you from experience, the likelyhood of โ€˜the knockโ€™ is directly related to the appearance and how long itโ€™s there. In fact Iโ€™ve stopped for the night in many rest areas that were clearly posted and had security or police direct me to where I should park for the night.

Like many other laws, itโ€™s just one more tool for law enforcement, and itโ€™s not universally applied.

deadticket8
Explorer
Explorer
did an 8 week trip from NH to Idaho and back through many states. Quite a number of Walmarts have posted No Overnight parking. Some will allow with permission regardless. Some told me the police will likely knock on my door during the night because of local ordinance. I am on private property so whats up with that? Local Walmart policy I think. So the problems are: some lots are not owned by walmart and since 24 hour stores are a thing of the past security may toss you. people that are drug/alcohol addicted or have dissassociated from society have made old rvs and parking lots their home. If an RV is abandoned at walmart its not going to be a later model. Walmarts are having issues with getting them towed because the owners don't claim them and the tow companies don't want them taking up space. Then there are the issues of prostitution, drug dealing, dumping black water etc. Not pointing fingers at every older model but these are real issues.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oddly enough, the original Walmart doesn't allow over night parking. City ordinance.

They did let me stay near the Murphy Gas Station.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Bemota
Explorer
Explorer
There is an โ€œapp for thatโ€, Allstays ONP Walmart that Iโ€™ve used for years, tells you which stores allow parking. Some stores used to allow parking but due to changes in city ordinances they canโ€™t any longer. I usually stop, talk to manager and ask, sometimes I can and sometimes I canโ€™t and somtimes they will direct me to where I can park. Trial and error
2017 Dodge Ram Big Horn 3500 HD Cummins
2018 Cedar Creek 34RL2
Navy CPO Retired, Jan (DW), and Ziggy (Cat)

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Looks like its time to bring out the ignore button for jrscooby.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CWilson wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

The fact you post the deceptive maps implies you want it to be seen in political light. The fact the deceptive maps stay up proves my point; Bash left ideas is not political, but defending them is.

Deceptive Maps?

ROFLMAO.....You started the political carap, the same as you always do based on many of your past posts. Nothing deceptive about statistical rates of homelessness which the map reflects.

Not that one. The only way the other is not deceptive is if it is labeled to tell it shows which states send most money to federal government in taxes compared to states that get most benefits from government.

CWilson
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

The fact you post the deceptive maps implies you want it to be seen in political light. The fact the deceptive maps stay up proves my point; Bash left ideas is not political, but defending them is.

Deceptive Maps?

ROFLMAO.....You started the political carap, the same as you always do based on many of your past posts. Nothing deceptive about statistical rates of homelessness which the map reflects.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, a key phrase is "not enforced". That has been my experience with good results.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
As we are travelers more than campers, we overnight in lots of places that are not thought of as camp grounds.
When we have had the opportunity to ask, of the so many times, I think we have been refused about twice. For us, as many of the places are retail we ask as "when we finish our shopping here, can we spent the night in your lot?" We are seldom refused. I also very specifically remember that once we were refused with that request, we also figured out that the new stop should have what we planned to buy there. That sounds fair - doesn't it.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
austinjenna wrote:
By the way when we do stay at Walmart it is because we are pulling in late and leaving early, no campgrounds or to far away. Last time the campgrounds was 30 miles roundtrip from where we wanted to be the next morning.

I think thats what the majority of folks do. The WM's are generally close to the highway so easy pull off to get some sleep, eat in the morning and then head back out.

I agree. I think the longest we have ever stayed at a WM parking lot was about 16 hours - 5pm to 9am.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
By the way when we do stay at Walmart it is because we are pulling in late and leaving early, no campgrounds or to far away. Last time the campgrounds was 30 miles roundtrip from where we wanted to be the next morning.

I think thats what the majority of folks do. The WM's are generally close to the highway so easy pull off to get some sleep, eat in the morning and then head back out.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Never stayed at Walmart a lot but the last time the manager told us to park out by the no parking sign, said it was a town thing that was not enforced. By the way when we do stay at Walmart it is because we are pulling in late and leaving early, no campgrounds or to far away. Last time the campgrounds was 30 miles roundtrip from where we wanted to be the next morning.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Tvov wrote:
JRscooby wrote:

Well moderators, here comes another left leaning post, to counter some from the right;
Why should only the people that can afford at least 2 homes, one of which has wheels, park for free?
And the idea that homelessness is limited to any one state is crazy.

No need to stereotype people - I am pretty sure that Walmart just wants to keep their property from looking tattered and junky looking.

A good friend is in the property management field, specializing in retail space, he says itโ€™s rarely the tenants, Wally-world or other, that prohibit parking, itโ€™s the landlord, the municipality or both that make that move.

(Chuckling)  For all the NO Overnight comments, some should swing by the Rhinelander, WI parking lot the week before HODAG music festival.   The campers/5ths/motors are 3 isles deep in the back lot, and partying is going on at all hours.   You wouldn't know that you weren't actually at HODAG.   Respect is given and afforded, with or without 'local ordinances'.   Respect goes a long long way.