cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

North-central Nevada

kpherzog
Explorer
Explorer

Edwards Creek Valley and dry lake, north-central Nevada north of US 50. Looking west from the west side of the New Pass Range. Clan Alpine Mountains on the horizon.
12 REPLIES 12

kpherzog
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 722 is a great route. A little steep & winding up the canyon at the west end, but otherwise no problem. Several dirt roads off along the way..but a lot of ranches/farms at the east end. Just before you start up the hill from the west, turn north on a dirt road and find your way to the edge of the dry lakebed. Lots of great places but beware of rain.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Roy&Lynne wrote:
We should be there in a couple of months. Going to take Hw 50 home but want to take the Hw 722 shortcut going west. 722 is suppose to be lonelier than 50 if that is possible..

Please report back on your Hw 722 trip. I'm very curious about taking that route, and I understand that there is at least one boondock camping spot off that highway.
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
We should be there in a couple of months. Going to take Hw 50 home but want to take the Hw 722 shortcut going west. 722 is suppose to be lonelier than 50 if that is possible..

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
ppine wrote:
Most people don't like it. Too much cactus and rocks and no facilities.

... and that's good ... the less folks out there the better. The high desert areas of the U.S. West are one of the few places left to get away from an ever-growing outdoor population ... if you can keep well away from the ATV'ers and mountain bikers.

Back in the late 60's the DW and myself even used to get way out there in Utah and Wyoming hunting rocks in the summer while camping with a small popup trailer pulled by our Mustang fastback. We sometimes walked around under umbrellas while searching - and then idled the car with it's A/C in order to eat lunch out of the heat.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most people don't like it. Too much cactus and rocks and no facilities.

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks. That spot is going into the idea file for my next NV trip.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nevada is not for everyone. You can camp almost anywhere you want outside of towns.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just went onto my Light Pollution map -- turns out that that location has some of the darkest skies in the country. The stars must have been, well, out of this world.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Beautiful! I can almost hear the wind. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Nice photo and nice campsite!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Outstanding ... that's the only way to camp!

We live in the trees, so don't need them when camping. The only change I'd make to that camping picture is we'd be there in our small Class C.

Where you camped is close to the beautiful Desatoya Mountains, which is another area that might be great to checkout in an RV.

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
nice! ๐Ÿ™‚
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.