Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coolant tank leak on Freightliner

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Everybody -

Taking off today thru the Nevada desert I discovered a pin hole leak on my Fleetwood Excursion Freightliner chasis. While small it was a steady stream and I had to go back to the RV park for a fix. Freightlner suggested JB Weld. I have "The Welder" epoxy / adhesive that is the same as JB Weld I feel.

Do you guys think - after overnight dry / cure per the instructions - this will hold? Coolant tank gets hot and high pressure of course. I've really not used an adhesive like this before but know it should fix almost anything.

I'm trying to not have to replace the entire coolant tank right now as I'm sure it would take time for the part to arrive and find somebody to install it. However I'm driving from Reno to Boise thru the desert and want to be smart about this.

Well anyway - now I get to stay put for my birthday - so I guess it's not all bad news ! ha ha
2016 Fleetwood Excursion 35E
6 REPLIES 6

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Update: Well I made It from Reno to Boise. Epoxy didn't work entirely. It developed a drip leak as opposed to the steady stream of yesterday. Temp was normal and levels didn't fall below the minimum line. While in Boise I will try and get the tank replaced. After only 7 years it has this leak but I've also found cracks at the joint between top and bottom. Man, is ANYTHING built to last these days? I'm having so many issues with my Fleetwood Excursion I'm feeling it's my Chaplin Breakaway House...

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Opnspaces and DancinCampers - both good suggestions ...

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I would loosen the cap so it can't build pressure and test drive it. I've done that with my Suburban and it never heats up. Just monitor the temp but my guess is it will be fine.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DancinCampers
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would use a sheet metal screw and rubber washer with the weld. If it leaked I would loosen the pressure cap and monitor the temp.
Dan & Sharon (Kasey, Our Yorkie, RIP 9Jan'05-26Jul'17)
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M
2020 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Aventa II, Air Force One

If You Obey All The Rules, You Miss All The Fun

Jamster
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Bud -

Ok yes I should do that. Thanks for the reply.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
This must be in the overflow pressure tank.
I would not hold my breath on it holding. Call Freightliner near you for the new tank. I believe they changed material on new tanks.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker