cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford Focus Towing

EB_Expedition
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchase a Class A motorhome and are looking at purchasing a Ford Focus as a dingy. The owner's manual states as part of the tow preparation to disconnect the negative battery cable. Does anyone have experience with this Ford or similar product? Any information is greatly appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

EB_Expedition
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Ford CMax Hybrid. We tow a 2013 automatic, all down, no need to disconnecct battery. Just setup tow, turn off all car electric uses (A/C, etc.) place in neutral, release brake and go. You will need to supply dedicated 12vdc to brake controller. Note car battery goes into sleep mode to save battery. I connect 12vdc to car battery from coach, then installed dedicated 12vdc connector to RVi brake controller. Never had problem with drained car battery. If you try to use the 12vdc in the center console, it will shut off when the car goes into ballery save mode (sleep). Hope this helps.

rjkfsm
Explorer
Explorer
az99 wrote:
rjkfsm wrote:
Once you reconnect the battery, you MUST drive the vehicle within 15 minutes or the fault codes will not self clear and you will have to go to the dealer.

RK
Do you actually have to drive it? The manual says it just has to be started.

My manual says to drive it, but the latest printing on the Ford website says to run it. Cool. That's easier.

RK

az99
Explorer
Explorer
rjkfsm wrote:
Once you reconnect the battery, you MUST drive the vehicle within 15 minutes or the fault codes will not self clear and you will have to go to the dealer.

RK
Do you actually have to drive it? The manual says it just has to be started.

rjkfsm
Explorer
Explorer
EB Expedition wrote:
We just purchase a Class A motorhome and are looking at purchasing a Ford Focus as a dingy. The owner's manual states as part of the tow preparation to disconnect the negative battery cable. Does anyone have experience with this Ford or similar product? Any information is greatly appreciated.

I towed my 2012 Focus around a parking lot with the battery connected to see what would happen. I figured the low speed/short distance wouldn't cause any mechanical harm. This ended up registering a transmission (TCM) fault code, a hill-start assist fault code, an ABS fault code, and the odometer registered the distance pulled. I had to pay the dealer to clear the codes.

You must disconnect the battery. You CANNOT disconnect it at the firewall. Doing so will not fully disconnect the battery. You must disconnect a post. I have disconnected the positive terminal in one test as it is much easier to get to and, electrically, it is the same thing UNLESS there are capacitors in the system. Regardless of which terminal you disconnect, you will get an ABS fault and a hill start assist fault on reconnection. Both of these faults will self clear after driving the car a short distance (~1/4 mile). Once you reconnect the battery, you MUST drive the vehicle within 15 minutes or the fault codes will not self clear and you will have to go to the dealer.

Disconnecting the battery is a pain, but you do not have to re-program the radio if you have the Sync system. The only thing you need to do is set the date and time and, if you have one touch windows, you will have to re-program them as well.

RK

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved from class A forum
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
this question has been answered go to Technical resources then to Dinghy Towing.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

donhoward49
Explorer
Explorer
A web site that I like is Remco rvtowing. Google it. They make the transmission pumps, but also you can look up most cars to see what is recommended. But always go with the owners manual statements. I think on the focus you could put a knife blade switch in the negative battery terminal..

cpmath
Explorer
Explorer
Follow what Ford has told you to do. We're towing a 2009 Focus, 5 speed manual, four down, we disconnect nothing. If your manual says to disconnect the negative cable, disconnect it.