cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow vehicle question - Chevy 6.0L questions

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
I have been looking and looking to find distinct differences between the various vehicles in the Chevy lineup that have the 6.0L and it is very challenging. First let me start by saying what I have right now and what I would like in the possible future. I currently own a 27ft flagstaff bunkhouse with a GVWR of 6450. I tow it using my 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer, 3.73 gears 5.4L 2V. What I have been trying to figure out is the differences from a 2005 GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.0L and a Suburban 2500 6.0L. Near as I can tell, they are very similar except for the Suburban having the beefier 2500 frame and suspension. I Need a new tow vehicle. The Expedition is a little gutless despite it advertising a tow capacity of 8650 on mine. I've heard good things about the 6.0L. I don't want a diesel, shouldn't need one. I tow this thing maybe 6-10 times a year with my family (wife and 3 small children). I need to third row for a possible 4th. I would love to get a truck but not enough room. I have found a lot of the Denali's available in my area but the 2500 suburbans are very rare. I really don't want to go with Ford again, specially not the newer 3V 5.4L with all the issues that they are having and not real keen on the Excursion. My only real options are something with the Chevy 6.0L. I have been looking for weeks on this site, other forums and I can't seem to figure out if the Denali would suit my needs just fine or if its really worth looking for the Suburban 2500. Anyone knowledgeable on their major differences in towing this size trailer would be very helpful. We are currently trying to sell our Expedition so that we can move into something that can handle towing a little better. I shouldn't say that it tows poorly because on a good day it does fine, if there is any kind of wind or hills, it just drags. Living in the midwest, there's plenty of wind, and where we live, plenty of hills.
42 REPLIES 42

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
bfourman wrote:
Go with the 2500. The Denalis are nice, but at the end of the day are 1500s. They are all time AWD (non-selectable) and have the 4L65e trans, which will fail eventually under heavy towing. Just because they have the 6.0L doesn't mean it will tow better. I would give up all the bells and whistles of the Denali for the stronger drivetrain of the 2500 any day. For reference the rear brakes on my Yukon XL 2500 are the same part number as the front brakes on the 1500s. With your wife and 3 small children the weight of all the stuff they "have to have" adds up quick and the 2500 will handle it better than the Denali.

I currently tow with the rig in my sig and it handles my 8000LB TT fairly well. I have added AirLift bags in the rear for leveling (yes I use a WD hitch) and had the PCM tuned for more performance, but only because I can't leave anything stock for long. To be honest I wanted an 8.1 Yukon XL/Sub but couldn't justify the daily MPG versus a 6.0 for something I tow with a dozen times a year. With the PCM tuned for 93 octane I get an average of 14MPG mixed city/hwy empty (well, with the wife and 4 kids it's never truly empty) and 8ish towing the camper. I managed to get 11MPG pulling the Jeep to KY this summer, which I thought was respectable considering my buddy with a 8.1 Yukon XL got 9 pulling a very similar Jeep/trailer combo.

Bottom line, you will be better off in the long run with the 2500 series Sub/Yukon XL.

That is exactly what I was looking for, your setup and uses sound a lot like what I will be looking for and wanting and what I will be towing. I guess I will hold out for a good suburban 2500. Still not sure how likely it is that the expedition will sell but there's no rush since we won't be camping again until spring most likely. Hopefully if and when it sells, there will be a few 2500 suburbans to choose from

bfourman
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the 2500. The Denalis are nice, but at the end of the day are 1500s. They are all time AWD (non-selectable) and have the 4L65e trans, which will fail eventually under heavy towing. Just because they have the 6.0L doesn't mean it will tow better. I would give up all the bells and whistles of the Denali for the stronger drivetrain of the 2500 any day. For reference the rear brakes on my Yukon XL 2500 are the same part number as the front brakes on the 1500s. With your wife and 3 small children the weight of all the stuff they "have to have" adds up quick and the 2500 will handle it better than the Denali.

I currently tow with the rig in my sig and it handles my 8000LB TT fairly well. I have added AirLift bags in the rear for leveling (yes I use a WD hitch) and had the PCM tuned for more performance, but only because I can't leave anything stock for long. To be honest I wanted an 8.1 Yukon XL/Sub but couldn't justify the daily MPG versus a 6.0 for something I tow with a dozen times a year. With the PCM tuned for 93 octane I get an average of 14MPG mixed city/hwy empty (well, with the wife and 4 kids it's never truly empty) and 8ish towing the camper. I managed to get 11MPG pulling the Jeep to KY this summer, which I thought was respectable considering my buddy with a 8.1 Yukon XL got 9 pulling a very similar Jeep/trailer combo.

Bottom line, you will be better off in the long run with the 2500 series Sub/Yukon XL.
'00 GMC Yukon XL K2500 - 6.0L, 4L80e, 3.73s, P3, AirLift, BlackBear tuned.
'14 Aerolite 282DBHS - Andersen No-Sway

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
FlyingBison wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I don't know if they have them in Expedition's. But, my 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote Engine is a power machine.

I had a Chevy 2004 1500 with the 5.3 and it towed OK but, the 4 speed transmission went out at 80000 miles. I have friends that have had the same combo and they all have had to put a transmission in them. Plus, it was in the shop every 3 months for something. a hundred bucks for this, a hundred fifty bucks for that.

The newer Chev's / GMC's should have the 6 speed or more by now I would think. If you don't mind them nickel and dimeing you to death on everything else.

I've not heard of the 5.0L coyote engine before, sounds intriguing though. I wasn't really looking at the 5.3l version Chevy/GMC but rather trying to upgrade to the 6.0L. the 2500 versions have the heavier duty transmissions which I've heard good things about. The transmission in my Expedition is questionable on its reliability which is another reason I'm looking to sell it. Even now with only 112,000 miles on it, it has a lovely shudder when shifting into overdrive when not towing.

Ya, the transmissions in them were known for that. I had a 95 F-150 that did that. If you have the fluid changed and they add a quart of a product called "Shudder Guard" at the same time it will solve the problem. I never had a problem with mine again after that was done.

I understand that you want to move to a different tow vehicle though.

Pauljdav
Explorer
Explorer
Look at how many lugs on the axle. 8 is heavy duty 6 is light duty.

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
I don't know if they have them in Expedition's. But, my 2011 F-150 with the 5.0 Coyote Engine is a power machine.

I had a Chevy 2004 1500 with the 5.3 and it towed OK but, the 4 speed transmission went out at 80000 miles. I have friends that have had the same combo and they all have had to put a transmission in them. Plus, it was in the shop every 3 months for something. a hundred bucks for this, a hundred fifty bucks for that.

The newer Chev's / GMC's should have the 6 speed or more by now I would think. If you don't mind them nickel and dimeing you to death on everything else.

I've not heard of the 5.0L coyote engine before, sounds intriguing though. I wasn't really looking at the 5.3l version Chevy/GMC but rather trying to upgrade to the 6.0L. the 2500 versions have the heavier duty transmissions which I've heard good things about. The transmission in my Expedition is questionable on its reliability which is another reason I'm looking to sell it. Even now with only 112,000 miles on it, it has a lovely shudder when shifting into overdrive when not towing.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
Is the 2500 worth it over the Denali XL if they both have the 3.73 gears? I thought the 2500 had the 4.10 gears as standard but I'm finding that's not true. Not all Denali's have the 3.73 but a lot of them do.

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
You can tell real quick by lug pattern, the 1500 will be 6 and 2500 will be 8.

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
boogie_4wheel wrote:
The Denali trim gets you the 6.2L, not the 6.0L.

Yeah, the new one does, not the older ones that I'm looking at around the 2005 year range.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
The Denali trim gets you the 6.2L, not the 6.0L.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Have you given any thought to simply spending a couple thousand for a gear ratio swap?

On the Expedition? I would consider that if I couldn't sell it in a reasonable time. If I can get the amount I'm wanting out of it, moving to a 2500 shouldn't be as expensive as putting new gears.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Have you given any thought to simply spending a couple thousand for a gear ratio swap?

FlyingBison
Explorer
Explorer
wowens79 wrote:
My truck is a 2002 with the 6.0 and the 4 spd tranny, it has 207k miles and has been a solid truck. My TT is about the same weight, and it pulls it pretty well, but the 6spd tranny is supposed to make it really shine, also when they went to the 6spd, they bumped the HP and torque.

You can tell a 1500 from a 2500 by the number of lugnuts. the 2500 will have 8, and the 1500 will have 6. You can probably count them looking at the pictures online.

I think with the 2500 you will really enjoy the stiffer suspension, tires, and larger brakes.

I wish I could get into the newer 6speed with the 6.0L but since we've already lost money on the Expedition we're looking only for a lateral move from it without spend a ton on a new vehicle. More or less fixing the mistake of buying the Expedition.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
My truck is a 2002 with the 6.0 and the 4 spd tranny, it has 207k miles and has been a solid truck. My TT is about the same weight, and it pulls it pretty well, but the 6spd tranny is supposed to make it really shine, also when they went to the 6spd, they bumped the HP and torque.

You can tell a 1500 from a 2500 by the number of lugnuts. the 2500 will have 8, and the 1500 will have 6. You can probably count them looking at the pictures online.

I think with the 2500 you will really enjoy the stiffer suspension, tires, and larger brakes.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up