cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What did you do to your truck today?

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
I love cruising through the "what did you do to your camper today" thread, I figured I'd add a "what did you do to your truck today".

I'm sure that many of you are like me....and your truck that you use to haul your camper gets a lot of special attention to make sure it's in tip-top shape for your adventures.

I'll start out.....

Today I mounted 2 PIAA 520 Fog lights and 2 PIAA Driving lights to my winch bumper, and aimed them.

This evening, I received a box containing torklift stableload bumpstops. Those will have to wait for another day....we've got a blizzard going on here.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150
482 REPLIES 482

Bedlam
Over a certain width requires the center lights whether hauling, towing or just a wide stance. This is why they are required even on some SRW model trucks.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
AnEv942 wrote:
Got ID lights installed in Grill.. thanks for the suggestion Bedlam

Whatโ€™s the purpose? Are you thinking someone canโ€™t see your headlights and running lights?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ya, like the J. Geils Band song "Rust Stinks" :D..

Got ID lights installed in Grill.. thanks for the suggestion Bedlam

Jury's still out, functional but unsure. Looks a bit like the **** magnet left on going thru Pep Boys.
Do serve purpose at least for awhile.

Found another option for cab lights without drilling or wiring. Caboveramerica.com makes lights that don't require
drilling or wiring. Remote controlled, Solar charged battery powered cab lights. Pretty slick.
But they are really expensive.
Camper has ID lights and truck cab lights are switched off because of reflection so battery lights not receiving
charge wouldn't be an issue.

Hard to justify 10X the cost and I have a new set of cab lights on hand. Maybe after paint has cured awhile,
unless these grow on me, install them on cab.
The grill lights would probably look OK in-conjunction with cab lights. Things that could be done...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnEv942 wrote:
Got truck back from body shop that installed new roof skin.
Spent good part of the day reinstalling interior I had removed (headliner, visors, trim etc).
Another day rewiring, CB, custom interior light that controls exterior 3rd brake light functions, GPS ant etc. I have a lot of funny wiring.

Gosh- why is it leaking? Even heavy fog water dripping inside. Outside of the window rubber all that was visible was the bubbled paint.

Knew I had problem but extent surprised me.
Pretty sure cause, other than being a block from the Pacific, was bad glass replacement (scratched) few years ago.

I really wanted to attempt repair and if anyplace other than windshield would have.
However once I seen the required drilling of 100+ spot welds glad I had it done. 4 days in the shop-done, likely I'd still be drilling:)
Probably spend a few hours today putting all my 'stuff' back in the truck.

Quandary now is clearance/ID marker lights.
Truck is over 80" wide so required but really don't want to drill 15 holes in new roof. Didn't have issue with them on original install but just don't want to do again.

As someone who bought a used suburban from the southern seaboard area of california that was from the 80s, I know that rust well :). Mercifully, the body and frame is destined for the junkyard, I bought it off the neighbor who spent the money to haul it back for what buying another 350 small block, a 700R4 w/transfer case, 4x4 front and rear axles and spring mounts/perchs etc... would have cost me, but it is chock full of rust holes and badly done and now failing bondo patches.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

specta
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Ya know...that would be simple- worst case might not satisfy letter of law (mounted high as practical) but at least postpone drilling holes in roof.

Ford is releasing a Bronco Raptor in 2022 and it has the same lights in the grill as regular Raptors.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Got the wire bungs through the floor for the alternator charge circuit, 12volt 120amp feed to the truck bed as well as the 50 amp and 30 amp shore power inlet and outlet.

I mounted the enclosure to the four hard points for the rear seats and seat belts, started installing the three 20 amp 120v outlets on the front and both sides of the enclosure. Batteries soon.

Inverter install

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Ya know...that would be simple- worst case might not satisfy letter of law (mounted high as practical) but at least postpone drilling holes in roof.

Bedlam
Put clearance lights in the grill like the Raptor?

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Got truck back from body shop that installed new roof skin.
Spent good part of the day reinstalling interior I had removed (headliner, visors, trim etc).
Another day rewiring, CB, custom interior light that controls exterior 3rd brake light functions, GPS ant etc. I have a lot of funny wiring.

Gosh- why is it leaking? Even heavy fog water dripping inside. Outside of the window rubber all that was visible was the bubbled paint.

Knew I had problem but extent surprised me.
Pretty sure cause, other than being a block from the Pacific, was bad glass replacement (scratched) few years ago.

I really wanted to attempt repair and if anyplace other than windshield would have.
However once I seen the required drilling of 100+ spot welds glad I had it done. 4 days in the shop-done, likely I'd still be drilling:)
Probably spend a few hours today putting all my 'stuff' back in the truck.

Quandary now is clearance/ID marker lights.
Truck is over 80" wide so required but really don't want to drill 15 holes in new roof.
Didn't have issue with them on original install but just don't want to do again.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

I changed the oil and filters in my truck today.

The truck recommends changing the oil about every 10,000 miles, I change it every 5000.

The last picture shows how much oil it used in the last 5000 miles carrying my camper.

I'm pretty impressed that's all the oil it used considering it has 225,000 miles on it.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

darkmind25
Explorer
Explorer
Gave it a wash and wax.

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Removed the rear seats and started getting ready to install the enclosure for six GPL-30HTs and Outback inverter.

Inverter enclosure

ggadwa
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, Delta Bravo...I knew that.... I just got lazy and mis-spelled...maybe was because of being road weary after 300 Plus road miles yesterday. Boy was Yellowstone ever crowded. No camping unless you had previously reserved a space. We didn't....Traffic was intense but it was Labor Day.

Gary
HAM RADIO Operator since 1964 'W7FSI'
EAGLE CAP 2011 950 CUSTOM BUILT by the great folks at LaGrande Oregon
2012 FORD 350 XLT 6.7L Diesel 4x4 Super Cab with lots of stuff

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cleaned the front window with 0000 steel wool and alcohol.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
ggadwa wrote:
Les Schaub Tire Store,

It's actually Les Schwab.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator