cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Truck was totaled, looking at GM 6.6 Gasser

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II

Long story short someone pulled out in front of my 47,000 mile 3500HD 6.0 gasser. It was totaled yesterday. Frame is bent.

So looking for a brand new 10 speed 6.6 GM gasser anyone here have any experience with the 6.6 or the 10 speed.

I am going to miss that truck wasn't the best one on the planet, but it was mine, paid for and exactly what I need to tow between 7000 and 8500lbs.

I will post a picture when I get home.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.
46 REPLIES 46

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
The 10 speed in a gas makes a lot sense. What never made any sense was not offering the 10 speed with that when they released the 6.6 gas.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck.

I was just out at a friends ranch. They have switched from running Ford/RAM diesels to GM gassers mainly due to availability issues. Right now they have 4 6.6 gassers. Two with the old 6 speed that they donโ€™t really like and two with the 10 speed that they do like.

The new tranny makes a huge difference in drive ability.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
spoon059 wrote:
Sharp looking truck, hope it works out well for you. The 6.0 was a great, dependable engine, I imagine the 6.6 will be even better!

Thanks! I have 500 miles on it now, so far no complaints. The 6.6 is really nice as compared to the 6.0. It has been out 5 model years now and I have not really heard much bad about it. I hope is it as rock solid at my last 2 6.0s gassers were.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sharp looking truck, hope it works out well for you. The 6.0 was a great, dependable engine, I imagine the 6.6 will be even better!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
cptqueeg wrote:
ls1mike wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Congrats on the new truck. Is that a Custom Deluxe package?

Just a plain old custom, so just below an LT but about a W/T. What was weird was the this had more options that I wanted then the LT. Like two 120 volt outlets.

The thing the LT had that this didn't was the huge digital displays which I am not a huge fan of so this one worked out perfect for me.

As long as no one pulls out in front of me this one should last a good long time.

So it has the old style gauges(40 across the top?

I really like those, but not available on a 3500.

I guess that is what it is. Is is closer to my 17. They did have a 3500HD gasser on the lot, I drove it, but like I said I didn't need all the digital stuff.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
ls1mike wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Just a plain old custom, so just below an LT but about a W/T. What was weird was the this had more options that I wanted then the LT. Like two 120 volt outlets.

The thing the LT had that this didn't was the huge digital displays which I am not a huge fan of so this one worked out perfect for me.

As long as no one pulls out in front of me this one should last a good long time.

So it has the old style gauges(40 across the top?

I really like those, but not available on a 3500.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
Nice looking truck! Congrats!

Thanks Grit
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
Thanks for showing the new truck! I hope it does everything you want it to do! I have enjoyed my 24.

This truck is going to be way better than 17. I have just at 500 miles on it now and I like it way more than I wanted to. I love the 10 speed, really nice addition to that engine.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Sorry Mike, but I just can't say I like the looks of your new truck. The step slots are well placed, but not the best looking either. I put black step bars on my truck, that work really well, and look good IMO. I noticed your mention of nerf bars, that should be a great addition.

The good thing...that should be a great TV for you, and last many years!

Congrats on the new truck,

Jerry

The newer onces are an aquired taste. I like it for what it is and have found I enjoy driving this one more than trucks I have owned in the past.
Mike
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nice looking truck! Congrats!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for showing the new truck! I hope it does everything you want it to do! I have enjoyed my 24.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Sorry Mike, but I just can't say I like the looks of your new truck. The step slots are well placed, but not the best looking either. I put black step bars on my truck, that work really well, and look good IMO. I noticed your mention of nerf bars, that should be a great addition.

The good thing...that should be a great TV for you, and last many years!

Congrats on the new truck,

Jerry