cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Help identify high volume truck dealers

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's time to start researching my next truck.

I know that Ram has Dennis Dillon and Dave Smith as high volume dealers that generally have a large selection of trucks and usually have some of the best advertised prices.

I would assume that Ford and GM also have some high volume truck dealers that would have a large selection and some competitive pricing, but I'm struggling to find them.

Can anyone help list some high volume HD truck dealers?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS
27 REPLIES 27

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
what I've found over the years is that dealer "size" seems to have no correlation to vehicle out the door after hagling price.
Next, if the dealer doesn't have the vehicle you want on the lot, they likely can get it if there is another dealer within a few states nearby that has it.

When we were looking for our 2015.5 Denali, in Oreogn, WA, north CA, Idaho there was ONE that had what we wanted when I did a search.

The local dealer, working with my broker got me that truck for less than what that "high volume dealer" quoted me, even after taking into account the broker fee.

Truck ended up being shipped to the local dealer from where I expected it would come from, that "high volume lowest price" dealer in idaho.

I have found the same thing to be true. Dave Smith used to be a force that other dealers had to contend with. Especially in Idaho (that said I am a 10 hour drive to Kellogg). I have not found that to be true anymore. If you call a Dave Smith, and get a quote, take to another dealer and you will likely get the same price or by the time you get yourself to Kellogg, its the same price.

All that said. I wanted to order a '24 AT4 in the new Slate Grey. I called a GMC dealer 45 miles away from me that I have bought a 5500, 3500 and a 1500 from in the past. They would only sell at full MSRP. I told them that aint gonna happen. I went to my local Chevy dealer and ordered the CC DMAX LTZ in Slate Grey at dealer invoice (I have a good relationship with them). The moral of the story is someone, somewhere will not let your deal go to someone else. You just may need the price from a Dave Smith to compel them to at least match it.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
what I've found over the years is that dealer "size" seems to have no correlation to vehicle out the door after hagling price.
Next, if the dealer doesn't have the vehicle you want on the lot, they likely can get it if there is another dealer within a few states nearby that has it.

When we were looking for our 2015.5 Denali, in Oreogn, WA, north CA, Idaho there was ONE that had what we wanted when I did a search.

The local dealer, working with my broker got me that truck for less than what that "high volume dealer" quoted me, even after taking into account the broker fee.

Truck ended up being shipped to the local dealer from where I expected it would come from, that "high volume lowest price" dealer in idaho.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't hurt to research. Unless there is a complete and total redesign, there will be a lot of things similar between now and then. Also, I'll know what a used 2023, 2024 or 2025 has to offer if I chose to buy a used.

I'm a planner, not an emotional reacter.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Sorry, spoon, that was my point. Hard to learn the specifics about 2026 model trucks now as well as who has the good prices 2 years from now. (Mutually exclusive things as well).
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Lantley wrote:
Certainly payload is an improvement.
There is a lot of improvement to be had between a 1500, 3500 and 3500DRW.
Maybe you can make the case between a 2500 and 3500.
But payload is a noticeable factor if you tow a heavier trailer

Buddyโ€ฆ.try to keeper between the navigational bouys hereโ€ฆ.(RIP Jimmy buffet)
IE within the context of the thread.
Now yes the OP is hunting somewhere between srw land and drw territory.
But from his current truck to a new 1 ton srw, which he now just said is a 3/4ton, it ainโ€™t enough to get excited over. Now he has other reasons for considering upgrading, as just stated, but the fact remains, if itโ€™s a newer HD srw of any flavor, they all run out of @ss, real world, about the same time.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
2 years from now? No point in trying to figure out anything now..at all.

It's research. When I buy new, I know everything I can know about that truck.

Nothing wrong with the Ram, its got 75Kish miles and in great mechanical shape. It is a bottom of the line truck though. Seats are uncomfortable for longer trips. It lacks the amenities that my dear bride desires. I retire in less than 3 years and am lining up my 2nd career, which will allow for a lot more remote work. We are planning numerous LONG trips when that happens, so comfort is important.

I'm not opposed to going over the 10,000 lbs rating on the Ram, but as has been pointed out, I'm looking at a pretty big camper and it's quite possible I'm in dually range.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Certainly payload is an improvement.
There is a lot of improvement to be had between a 1500, 3500 and 3500DRW.
Maybe you can make the case between a 2500 and 3500.
But payload is a noticeable factor if you tow a heavier trailer
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2 years from now? No point in trying to figure out anything now..at all.
Is the old Ram gettin long in the tooth? Because youโ€™re not going to gain any appreciable real world payload capacity with anything new from any of the big 3 even if yours is a coil 2500. Them things donโ€™t mind 3k or more in the bed one little bit, with a set of bags or better springs.
The only real world gains by upgrading from that 4th Gen to any of the new trucks, aside from the new car smell and some fancier interior features is more power (especially if you have a SO/68 truck), and a better transmission (unless you have a G56 or Aisin, but the new 10 speeds and Rams soon to be released 8 speed are all โ€œbetterโ€ than even the Aisin or G56).
Payload is not an improvement. Unless youโ€™re a go by the sticker only kinda guy AND have a 2500 currently.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
A 40 ish foot long toy hauler requires a DRW.
We often forget our objective and put too much emphasis on non factors.
If you were need to install big nails you would get a big hammer.
You would not buy a medium hammer or a small hammer.
You would not get a medium hammer because it was easier to reach.
You would not get a medium hammer because it was a little cheaper.
You would get a big hammer to use with the big nails.
Sounds like you want are shopping for the biggest 5th wheels available.
You need to shop for the biggest truck available.
Don't let non factors cloud your judgement.
Will it fit in the garage, can I get into the drive thru, are all non factors when it comes to towing a 40 ish long fifth wheel.
I drive a DRW daily its really no worse than a long bed CC truck.
Length is a bigger factor when it comes to maneuverability and nimbleness vs. width. You're not going to just zip around in a SRW CC long bed truck.
Both SRW or DRW CC long bed trucks require you to park a little farther away and are not great in urban areas.
If you consider the mirrors a SRW is just as wide as a DRW.
Yes I'm trying to say get the dually you won't regret it for a 5'er that big.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like a longbed from the Big 3 gets you the option for a higher GVWR, which I am leaning towards if I'm getting a 5th wheel. I'm leaning heavily towards a diesel.

Ford gives you a 48 gallon tank in their longbed diesels, Ram gives you the option of a 52 gallon for a small upcharge. Those will obviously eat into the GVWR.

We still don't know what camper we're going to get, but leaning towards a 40ish foot long 5th wheel, possibly toyhauler. Not planning on hauling anything particularly heavy either, bicycles and maybe a kayak or two now, maybe a motorcycle in a couple years.

This will be my primary vehicle. If I can make it work with a SRW, that is preferred. If I find out that my pin weight will be too much for that, then I don't mind a DRW, they are just difficult to find right now.

Thankfully truck purchase is at least 2 years away. Hoping that the UAW labor issues, supply issues and financial instability in the country settle down at least slightly before I undertake such a purchase...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

blt2ski
Depending upon the option pkg, cab style, a SW 25/35 series rig may have more or less the same payload as a dw. My 8600 GVWR GM 2500 reg cab gas with very few options mind you, had 3700 lbs of payload, meanwhile the 11,200 gvwr DW CC D/A rig I had, was 4100 per the door stickers on both. I only had 1200 or so to the axel limits on the 2500, and close to 2000 for the SDW rig. Depending upon the how you want to classify the payload. SOME SW rigs may have as much or more payload, easier driving etc than a DW rig.
Generally speaking, also a gas rig will have 400-600 lbs more payload than a diesel assuming the same specs all around with options, axle capacities etc. Being as the motor is lighter than the diesel. A short bed ie 6' bed will net you 200-300 lbs more payload than a std 8' bed, again, assuming the same options etc on both rigs. Ext vs crew cabs are also about 300-400 lbs difference.
There were three of us at one time, that had 05 DW GM CC rigs. One a lower level rwd, he was 400 lbs less wieght than my LS 4wd, I was 200 lbs lighter than the other with a full leather bucket seat setup.
Amazing what some of the options add wieght wise to screw over the brochure payload numbers.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
Get the dually and forget about any payload concerns.
While you may have to avoid a drive thru you will never have any regrets while towing, which appears to be the sole reason for buying the truck.

Towing will be a priority, but it will be my full time vehicle as well. Not opposed to a dually if it's neccessary, but they are kinda hard to find and might be way overkill anyways.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
Spoon-

A friend at the dealership just took delivery of his 2023- F350 -XLT- long bed- 6.7.. here is his payload- 4,326#

That sounds much better, thanks!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ford truck guy wrote:
My brother in law has a 2022 Lariat with the 12,400#,,, his payload is 3500 I believe... If I get a chance tomorrow I will take a look at one of our 350's to see the trim and payload for you.

Wow, that surprises me and seems low. I think most diesel F250s have 2000ish lbs of payload and a 10K lbs GVWR. I can't imagine a F350 weighs much more, but has an additional 2400 lbs of GVWR. I was expecting 4000-4500 lbs of payload, depending on trim level.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS