cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need a new toad-a sporty one

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
My wife totaled our Miata that we've been towing for over ten years. Before that car we towed an MR2. No one ever stated that either car was towable but neither car suffered any damage from towing. I'm looking for suggestions beyond the usual Jeep or truck. Any ideas? Bob
bob b
16 REPLIES 16

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I was reading the latest FMCA Towing Guide and to my surprise my wife's 2021 Kia Forte GT is flat towable in either automatic or manual. Hers is a 7 speed dual clutch automatic with a 201 hp 1.6 liter turbo four, it's well equipped and comfortable and with a 0-60 time in the mid sixes it's definitely sporty. The Kia Soul GT with the same engine and transmission is also flat towable. Both of these DCT equipped cars require a specific procedure outlined in a Kia service bulletin to be performed before towing, but it's not too far out of line with procedures required for other automatic cars. The lower trim models of the Forte and Soul that have CVTs are not flat towable. Of course, this would need further research to verify.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

rickcarlene
Explorer
Explorer
bob b wrote:
My wife totaled our Miata that we've been towing for over ten years. Before that car we towed an MR2. No one ever stated that either car was towable but neither car suffered any damage from towing. I'm looking for suggestions beyond the usual Jeep or truck. Any ideas? Bob

WE tow a 2018 Mini Cooper S 6 speed easy to tow fun to drive.

Ro_n_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Try surfing here for some ideas:
https://www.viewnavionmotorhomes.com/tow_vehicle_guide/
2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
Here you go--- even has tow tabs installed already 327 powered MGA

Sweet. I would love to see how the tow tabs were installed. I had a MG Midget that I towed 4 down behind the motorhome. Apparently the tow tabs, welded to the front of the chassis, were stronger than the chassis metal and it all broke loose when we were in FL. I trailered it to Georgia and sold it for what I paid. Good fun while it lasted!!
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here you go--- even has tow tabs installed already 327 powered MGA
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went to a rally in Meadows of Dan Virginia and a guy there towed a VW beach buggy from Pennsylvania there. Had a tonneau cover snapped in place to keep it "sort of" dry when towing. Sporty thing touring the Blue Ridge Parkway that summer. Looked like fun. December? Not a chance!!
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Focus ST with manual transmission
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

Y-Guy
Did some house cleaning, please try to keep it on topic and helpful.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

BobGed
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to take a look at a Fiat Abarth. I believe BlueOx makes base plates for models up to 2019 or 2018.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you had a Miata ( I had one too ) now may be a good time to get a โ€œbiggerโ€ car. My wife has a 2018 Mini Cooper S Convertible. Only problem is itโ€™s an automatic which means it canโ€™t be flat towed, but the manuals can. Itโ€™s a fun car, with good power.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Smart car. We been towing them for 14 years problem free on a dolly and 4 down as well.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
bob b wrote:
Our house is in the pine trees of So Oregon and we stay for six months in the M/H in a seniors park in Mesa, Az So I don't need a Jeep, I may buy back my Miata from the insurance company and repair it myself. The problem is getting it back to my shop in Or. Bob
Ship it (likely $1000+), minimum repair so it's drivable, trailer tow it with the MH or other vehicle.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bob b wrote:
Our house is in the pine trees of So Oregon and we stay for six months in the M/H in a seniors park in Mesa, Az So I don't need a Jeep, I may buy back my Miata from the insurance company and repair it myself. The problem is getting it back to my shop in Or. Bob

i sold a car in CA to a buyer in IL. the buyer hired an independent car carrier to transport the vehicle to him. if your Miata runs and can move under its own power that may be an option for you.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

bob_b
Explorer
Explorer
bob b