Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Audi Q5: WDH Installation and Experience

neu
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone!

A month ago, I posted several questions on this forum regarding issues with towing a trailer with my 2018 Audi Q5.
I have finally figured everything out, and I want to thank everyone who helped me with this.
I have learned a lot thanks to the advice from people on this forum.

Here's the summary:
Following Andry's advice from canamrv, I installed the WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) myself, along with the EAZ-Lift 600 sway control bar, and this combination works flawlessly with my Q5. Andry also assured me that they have installed many WDH systems on similar vehicles. The manufacturer (Audi) covers themselves by stating that it cannot be used, but in practice, it doesn't cause any problems. The front axle only raised by 0.2-0.3 inches. The car drives perfectly as if I don't have a trailer, even in strong crosswinds and at high speeds. Considering my vehicle's short wheelbase, I was expecting worse performance.

The only mistake I made was not raising the hitch ball by 1 inch. It seems that my parking spot has some slopes, and the measured level turned out to be lower in practice. It's too late to change anything now because I airlocked all the bolts on the WDH. However, since the trailer is single-axle, I don't see any issues with this slight forward tilt.

I also weighed my trailer, and it came out to be 2615 lb, with a tongue weight of 435 lb. It's not ideal. I plan to replace my current battery with a lightweight lithium-ion battery to fall within the 15% range. However, even with this slight imbalance, I didn't notice any impact on the ride quality.

In the previous thread, many people noticed that the OEM Audi hitch receiver specification contradicts the Audi manual, as it only specifies its use with a WDH. I reached out to the dealer for clarification, and after a month and a half, we received a response from Germany. There was indeed a typo on the label, and WDH was not intended, with the values printed in the wrong line of the table. Audi will now issue a recall for this sticker thanks to the vigilance of users on this forum.

There is no information available on the internet about using a WDH with an Audi Q5 in my model range, so I hope this message helps someone.

PS: Install it at your own risk! Audi officially prohibits the use of Weight Distribution Hitch with these models.

2 REPLIES 2

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Did Audi say what happens if you do use a wdh?

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good news thanks for closing out the discussion.
You would have to raise the hitch a couple inches (itโ€™s not โ€œtoo lateโ€ as you say whatever airlocked means..). But itโ€™s better nose down a shade than nose up and youโ€™re correct, with a single axle it matters not, anyway.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold