Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wheel Bearings - re-grease?

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Hi folks,

We have a 40 foot 5th wheel we've owned from new and is stored in a large machine shed when not is use. The shed is not heated, but has a concrete floor and insulated. Nice to have especially in Canada as it has never been stored in snow/ice or any inclement weather when not in use.

We bought this to travel south in spring and fall. The last time we used it was 2019 to Myrtle Beach. It's been parked thanks to the pandemic as the border closed. We have not moved or touched it and I've kept the air in the tires inflated to max. The tires are new Michelins installed in 2019 and the bearings were greased the same spring.

The question is: as it will have been parked for 2 years in 2022 and with one trip on it since it was last greased (went about 2,000 miles), should the bearings be regreased before we head south in the spring 2022. Not sure if the grease would age/dry after sitting that long. With the border just recently opened we are looking at traveling south again.

I know this is a lengthy backstory for a basic question, but it's best to have all the facts to help get the best advice/recommendation.

Thanks in advance!
20 REPLIES 20

itow2
Explorer
Explorer
If it were sitting on a dealer lot for two years you think they would repack the bearings just before you bought it? Not likely. Just jump in it and go. Always keep an eye out for trouble.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Almost every year I used a trailer shop to check and adjust TT brakes and re grease the bearings using synthetic grease and never any problems with hard towing in the Rockies and western mountains, deserts of USA.

IH_Fan
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the comments and advice everyone - Truly appreciated!

I know Iโ€™m asking months in advance but we are very excited about getting south again and spending time with our American friends! Thanks again!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Drive on!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Gdetrailer wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
He said that it was "greased" 2,000 miles ago. If that included a complete cleaning and inspection of the bearings and then a repack with the proper grease followed by the correct bearing and brake adjustment, then he is good to go for thousands of miles. What are the chances that the service was done correctly?

OP also mentioned that is has been sitting for 2 yrs..

Dexters recommendation is 1yr or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I can also attest to the fact that even just sitting around water can definitely find it's way into the bearings.. Have had that happen to my flatbed utility trailer and no it was never immersed in water.

Doesn't hurt to pull and check condition of grease, doing so saved me the loss of a set of bearings and possibly the axle.

Since we are following Dexter's service manual, did they mention how to adjust the brakes on page 13?

If the OP went out after the first year of sitting in the shed, and greased the bearings, would they be due again now a year later, still parked in the shed?

Jerry

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
He said that it was "greased" 2,000 miles ago. If that included a complete cleaning and inspection of the bearings and then a repack with the proper grease followed by the correct bearing and brake adjustment, then he is good to go for thousands of miles. What are the chances that the service was done correctly?

OP also mentioned that is has been sitting for 2 yrs..

Dexters recommendation is 1yr or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first.

I can also attest to the fact that even just sitting around water can definitely find it's way into the bearings.. Have had that happen to my flatbed utility trailer and no it was never immersed in water.

Doesn't hurt to pull and check condition of grease, doing so saved me the loss of a set of bearings and possibly the axle.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

MT_BOB
Explorer
Explorer
2k since the brgs were repacked? Heck no, load up and go, especially having sat inside, mostly out of the weather. Prob a bit of rust on the brake drums, but I would not consider pulling them apart until having used them for a bit. Pull it out, go forward and back, applying the brakes, a dozen times, then freewheel and see if any of the brakes drag(doubtful). If not,hit the road.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
ford truck guy wrote:
I would just go, don't worry about it... ALL too many folks are overkill with RV bearings....

2oldman wrote:
I haven't done anything to mine in 8 years and they're fine. I do keep watch on the temperature.

Dave H M wrote:
me, I would not do it. Way too much hype and legend in this arena.

If it is worth the effort and money to make you feel more at ease then you gotta do it.

Hmm..

Let's see what Dexter Axle has to say?

Dexter Service manual

"Page 13

Brakes should be adjusted

(1) after the first 200 miles of operation
when the brake shoes and drums have โ€œseated,โ€

(2) at 3,000 mile
intervals,

(3) or as use and performance requires.

Page 49

Along with bearing adjustment, proper lubrication is essential to
the proper function and reliability of your trailer axle. Bearings
should be lubricated every 12 months or 12,000 miles.

Page 57

5. Bearing units should be inspected every year or 12,000
miles whichever comes first."

Page 80 also contains full maintenance schedule.

Granted the OPs unit may be "newish", but it does zero harm to visually verify that:

1- Bearings are greased sufficiently (factory tends to just grease them enough to assemble them).

2- Bearings are correctly adjusted

3- Brakes are sufficiently broke in and adjusted.

4- Brakes, mechanical parts and drum surfaces are in good shape, not scored, heavily rusted, pitted or worn (light rust from setting is normal and rubs off with normal use).

This is called Preventative Maintenance (PM) which is to prevent future disaster from happening while on the road which is clearly ignored by the folks I quoted..

As they say, "ignorance is bliss"..

Do I think it is OK for the OP to go ahead?

Maybe, but then again, maybe not, I would hate to be the one that egged on one to ignore PMs in the event that something did fail..

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hook up and go!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
My biggest concern would be the tires. OP stated they were installed in 2019; however they could be older. Best indicator is the date code on the tires.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
me, I would not do it. Way too much hype and legend in this arena.

If it is worth the effort and money to make you feel more at ease then you gotta do it.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not certain, I'd do the job inspect the breaks, clean the bearings, and repack the bearings.. then you'll know for sure.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't done anything to mine in 8 years and they're fine. I do keep watch on the temperature.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman