cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Wear

djg9100
Explorer
Explorer

I noticed tire wear on the outside edge of the leading tire on the curb side, which is the heavier side of the rig by 266 lbs. All other tires appear to have normal wear. Prior owner stated rig has about 5000 miles on it. Tires are stamped 2019.

Info from others have stated the following can cause this:

1. Inner bearing.
  2. Bent axle
  3. Bent spindle

I checked all the wheels and all had about 1/16โ€ play.

I also took many measurements [10-15] from all different angles, points, etc., [including from kingpin] and all were the same.

Using a straight edge across the center [+/-] of the tires [back and front tires] the front leading edge of the tire with wear turns in about ยผโ€ [see photos]. The rear edge lines up with the rear tires.

Next I removed the bearings on the suspect wheel and I have included some pics of the bearing and spindle. I could not โ€œcatch a nailโ€ on the spindle discoloration areas.

I have also attached pic of the axle.General View of AxleGeneral View of AxleGeneral View of AxleGeneral View of AxleOuter edge tire wearOuter edge tire wearLeading edge of front tire leans inLeading edge of front tire leans inBearingBearingSpindleSpindle

Your thoughts โ€“ Thank you

12 REPLIES 12

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

If those GYs are still good and youโ€™re gonna run them this year Iโ€™d just rotate that tire to another spot and hit the road. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

Hereโ€™s my thoughts after using and or repairing a lot of light duty trailers over the years. 
Yes, looks like the bearing spun, no, doesnโ€™t look like a big deal unless itโ€™s worn the spindle down too much. Slap a new bearing on it when you put it back together and check it again in a few thousand miles. Provided the bearing isnโ€™t obviously loose on the spindle. 
This, Iโ€™m relatively confident has nothing to do with the tire wear. 
And being itโ€™s only one tire and you see a 1/4โ€ misalignment itโ€™s a bent spindle or axle. 99% certain. 
Next question is how many miles do you plan on putting on it?  If you believe the PO and thatโ€™s 5k miles of wear, and youโ€™ll only be putting 1-2k miles a year on it, I personally wouldnโ€™t do anything except replace all tires at whatever interval you like and worst case flip that bad tire once or rotate it to another position every year or so. 
Now if youโ€™re traveling x country every year and packing on thousands of miles per year, Iโ€™d personally fix the issue because youโ€™ll be dealing with it more often otherwise. 
Not uncommon for front axles to get bent more often as they hit the bumps and holes first. Just like the most common blown tire is aft passenger side. 

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III

I would not reverse the tire until I had an alignment done after the bearings and spindle situation are corrected. A commercial vehicle shop can align the axles but seeing that tire wear would be helpful.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

I would not replace the tire right away. Have it reversed on the rim.

Make sure whoever does the bearing replacement checks the spindle.

Keep us informed of your progress.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

Well now you know why the previous owner sold the trailer. There is something very wrong with that axel. You have burned baring's, and a tire that looks like it locked up and dragged.

I would take it to a good RV dealer to have it checked out. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29

Thank you for your comments. Not the reason prior owner sold it. Many suggestions. Will most lilkely start with tire and bearing replacement, then go from there.  

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

last photo of spindle, shows signs of the bearing inner sleeve spinning on spindle.  Use a a caliper o see if spindle is out of round.  Check bearing for roundness.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Thank you Sir!

Thank you Sir !

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III

how many miles are on that tire in that location, and how many miles are on that tire? 

The first thing I would do is rotate a different tire that looks good into that location and see if it does the same thing, that way you can check it at a frequent intervals.  To me it looks like it could be an alignment issue but it could also be a tire issue.  I had one that did the exact same thing, replaced it as I also found a broken beed on the tire (which I also see on yours)  and it has been perfect since then.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Prior owner stated 5000 miles and I don't think it was rotated. Learning here, what is the tire bead, and where on my tire is it noticable. Thank you sir. 

@djg9100 wrote:

Prior owner stated 5000 miles and I don't think it was rotated. Learning here, what is the tire bead, and where on my tire is it noticable. Thank you sir. 

sorry I wrote beed thats not what I ment.  I am going to back up a bit and say that may be normal from new or it may have developed.  there is a difference.   

this is what I was refering to, now before people go crazy and say that is normal, I have learned it is normal, especialy in goodyear endurance tires, but if your new tire doesnt have them and they develope then it is a concern as it is mostlikly a broken sidewall belt  (thats what I ment to write not Beed)  you havent had them from new so you cant be sure and that tire is pretty much done as its almost at the wear indicator, I would say its hard to believe there is only 5000 miles on that tire but who knows, if it is an alignment issue it could have been scuffing all 5000 miles.  some times as a tire ages weird wear patterense come out also but to me a close up looks like it has had a sideways force scuffing the tread away when I zoom in on that warn down edge.  I could be out to left field though.

Giles 6.jpg

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100