cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waste/Sewage System

firsttimer2020
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new to the RV world and haven't messed much with septic systems so please bear with me. I am trying to rig up a septic tank for the camper that my fiance and I will be living in. As of now it's going to be stationary for at least a year or two. I have been trying to research about making your own system and am curious if anyone else has made this set up before. I was wondering if two 55 gal tanks would suffice for two people. Something along these lines with the two tanks plumbed or connected, however you want to say that, together. Then run a leach line from the second tank. We have a 2005 Forest River Cardinal 29rk, if that matters. Also we aren't in city limits, on our own private property.
18 REPLIES 18

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting how RV owners have different experiences with their "Do Dads". We use NO chemicals in either waste tank and have no smell when flushing or dumping.
When flushing the commode, the water and waste create a down flow that creates a down flow of air that keeps the odor going down for a short period of time.
When we dump all connection are tight and the odor follows the waste to its destination. Your mileage may vary................

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
mtofell1 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

RV Holding tank chemicals are NOT for making it smell better. They are used the BREAK DOWN the solids. Doug

I'm no expert on the matter and am not saying you're wrong.... but, if you're right, why do all the chemicals come with varying scents if they are not intended to mask smells?

Well, I AM AN EXPERT:B They make them smell better because sewage is sewage if raw or broken down. If they did not use the scents, every time you flushed your toilet you would get a nice outhouse smell back into your RV. And, If no chemical when you dumped you would such a nice odor that you cannot really avoid no matter how diligent you are when dumping the system. For instance, GRAY tanks which almost nobody uses Chemicals in smells MUCH worse that Most Black tanks. This causes a lot of people to suspect a Black tank causing an odor in the RV when it is really the Gray tank odor. Doug

Dtank
Explorer
Explorer
jdc1 wrote:
I'm pretty sure he just wants to bootleg a system....not for permanent use.

jdc1 - *If* your nephew - the HS dropout - is in also in CA, the "bootleg" system could result in hefty $$ fines for disposing of Bio-Hazards - as well as removal of waste by a Haz-mat vacuum truck -AND-
contaminated soil. (Violation/s of state and county codes).

OP - do serious research on your plan - as well as consideration (and cost) of the consequences if you proceed - where ever you are !!

:(..:(

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
mtofell1 wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

RV Holding tank chemicals are NOT for making it smell better. They are used the BREAK DOWN the solids. Doug

I'm no expert on the matter and am not saying you're wrong.... but, if you're right, why do all the chemicals come with varying scents if they are not intended to mask smells?

I believe that most holding tank treatments claim both odor prevention and breakdown properties.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
DrewE wrote:
You don't actually have to use any chemicals in an RV tank, though they can be mighty helpful on cutting down on odors under some circumstances.

I wouldn't worry too much about upsetting the balance in a septic tank from RV holding tank treatment chemicals used in proper moderation. Septic systems see all sorts of household chemicals all the time, due to cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes, and other household tasks, and generally that causes no problems for them if they're properly designed and working correctly. Since not a few dump stations feed into (large) septic systems at RV parks, any tank treatment will be at least reasonably safe for them.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
You don't actually have to use any chemicals in an RV tank, though they can be mighty helpful on cutting down on odors under some circumstances.

I wouldn't worry too much about upsetting the balance in a septic tank from RV holding tank treatment chemicals used in proper moderation. Septic systems see all sorts of household chemicals all the time, due to cleaning bathrooms, washing dishes, and other household tasks, and generally that causes no problems for them if they're properly designed and working correctly. Since not a few dump stations feed into (large) septic systems at RV parks, any tank treatment will be at least reasonably safe for them.

Redeye2280
Explorer
Explorer
What chemicals do you use in the RV that won't mess up the chemical balance in the septic tanks?
2016 Jayco Alante 31V
2014 Honda CRV
2019 Golden Doodle
1950's Something Sweetheart of a Fisherwoman Wife

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
You will not be able to leave the black tank dump valve open, as you will get a solid poop pyramid under that toilet as the liquid drains out. Allow the tank to fill with lots of water to help carry the poop out, and dump when the tank is full. In addition, use probiotics such as Tank Tech to help.

RVs were not made to be stationary or used constantly.

The tank, being pumped out every few months will be the easiest solution.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have done it several times with no problems . If it only last several years just dig another . I took a 55 gallon drum and shot a bunch of holes in it , buried it at a house in Port Orange Fl . It is still working 14 years later . RV toilets do not use as much water as household toilets which makes having a large leach field less necessary . Two drums connected aught to work good . I guess a lot depends on the type of soil , all mine have been in sandy Florida soil . Myself I would not ask permission .

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
I would get a large plastic tote, dig a hole going into it, run the plumbing to it, and bury the whole thing leaving a cleanout for pumping. Talk to someone about pumping it on a regular basis to find out the best way to set it up for access.

You will also have to insulate the line going from your black tank to the big tank, or it will freeze up in the winter. Do not leave the black tank open all the time to the big tank or you will get a big mound of poo that will plug up the black tank. Just dump it when it's close to full.

Truthfully for the gray water, just hold your use down and run it out a hose about 100 feet from the trailer. Beware, this may freeze in the winter too.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

ranholago
Explorer
Explorer
If the whole septic system thing goes south, consider using a holding tank, say 500 gallons maybe even less. Arrange with the local guy who does septic system cleaning to pump your tank on a regular basis. Have a contract with him... I have heard of this working on a temporary basis. The county IF involved may consider this, with a contract to empty/clean on a regular time frame.
This Might be better than trying to dig leach lines, but may be more expensive.
If you do this all "bootleg" this still might be a safer way of getting what you want to do.
Another option may be contacting your local "portapotty" guy he may be able to set you up with some kind of lower profile above ground tank to be pumped out by the portapotty guy.
Last resort just get a portapotty and run shower sink water out away from your trailer, I know in some counties in TX they can run their washing machine discharge on the ground .
Thats about all I got for you

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I installed a plastic 55 gal drum with holes drilled in the sides starting about 15โ€ from the bottom to the top. I sat the drum in a hole about 2โ€™ larger in diameter than the drum. I lined the holes sides with plastic drain field mesh followed by filling the sides and top with 57 stone. Has worked as a separate tank washout and septic for family overflow from campers going on 12 years. Now it will not hold you dumping all your tanks at once but would hold a weeks worth of black water with no problem while letting the grays stay open all the time.