cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trying to replace 120v outlet

RRinNFla
Explorer
Explorer

The outlet for my electric fireplace was inoperable. I decided to use a residential grounded receptacle to replace it. I still have no power.

Can anyone tell me the fiunction of the connectors in the photo? The romex for the receptacle comes out of one of them. Can they short out? Are they easy to replace?
Richard

2015 Prime Time Crusader 295RLT
2008 Ford F250 V10 (Gas), EC, SB, 4X4
12 REPLIES 12

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lowes has 1" deep plastic boxes and a metal one about 1 3/4" so hopefully one of these will work.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
wnjj, you are correct. The pictures I believe are of a two gang receptacle. Mine was a single RV style just like in the pictures. They don't use a box on them on any rig I ever had. It was an outdoor receptacle, the cover in turn fit outside the receptacle, the cover had ears that hold it and the receptacle in the wall by snugging up the screws. No box is ever used with inside or outside with this type of RV receptacle on any RV I have had. Hard for me to describe.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobsallyh wrote:
I just replaced a single gang RV POS receptacle. I had 1 5/8 inches depth to play with. Bought a single gang "old work" box, took a Dremel and cut the box depth down to 1 1/2 inch depth. Then pulled Romex into the box and fastened the conductors to a residential receptacle.

By "cut the box depth" do you mean cut the back off of it? If so, that's no longer a box and misses the point of using one. If I misunderstood please forgive me.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just replaced a single gang RV POS receptacle. I had 1 5/8 inches depth to play with. Bought a single gang "old work" box, took a Dremel and cut the box depth down to 1 1/2 inch depth. Then pulled Romex into the box and fastened the conductors to a residential receptacle.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Do you have a 30 amp shore power shore cord? If so, odds are you have a wall switch inside the RV somewhere that turns the power to that receptacle on and off. Usually on RV's that have this it switches 120 power between either the 120 side of the water heater and fireplace or the Microwave power and the fireplace. 50 amp RV service will not have this type switching system. The outlet connector you have in the pic is how they splice 120 romex wires without using a receptacle box and wire nuts. They also use them for when you connect a Romex to a round 120 3 wire sheathed cable that looks like a appliance wire cable. Doug

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The problem with so much "Quick and easy" wiring these days is the punch down connectors that are likely inside those MOLEX boxes. This is a metal blade that cuts through the insulation and makes a knife edge connection with the wire.

Folks argue with me because "I worked in the telephone industry for bla bla years and we never had a problem" They also never had an amp of current.

At 15 amps.. Those tend to MELT

An electric fireplace is 12-13 amps and they tend to MELT.

Also a fire hazard when they do.

At anything over 10 amps I like a nice stripped wire properly bent around a Screw and properly tightened (NOTE all the "Properly" in that if not done Properly see Fire hazard above) I do not like the punch down at all. Though I do use them... For Data cables (RJ-type connectors).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might be a dumb question, but did you try plugging anything else in the outlet and do your other outlets work? Does your fireplace work in any other outlet and does it have an inline fuse?

Do you have any tools to validate that power is getting to the outlet.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those push the wire into a cutter/connector are not reliable, but good for thin hardly insulated RV walls.

Have you used a voltmeter to determine where the open is?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
The splice connectors are used to
splice two cable segments together and replace
butt connectors, wire nuts, and junction boxes used
in traditional splice applications.

Dumb question time... Is there a GFCI on the circuit that has tripped?

More details: https://www.tti.com/content/dam/ttiinc/manufacturers/molex/Products/PDF/self-contained-power-connect...

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
More apt to have an open connection.
Biggest issue could be getting boxes shallow enough to fit in walls.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
no photo.