cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer disconnected message on F150

BBB196
Explorer
Explorer
My TV is a 2015 F150. The issue I am having is while towing the recently acquired used TT (2018 Coleman 215BH) I am constantly getting dash message showing "Trailer Disconnected" along with Trailer gain 0 messages. Mostly when I'm slowing or accelerating, not once I get up to cruising speed.

If you are familiar with the F150 forums you will know that this is a common issue, but most people over there say it's usually due to an issue with the trailer grounding or brakes.

So here comes the dumb question.. I got to looking at the tongue of my trailer and noticed two wires just hanging by the battery which are not connected to anything, one of which is white and appears to be a ground wire. The other one is blue, and is coming out the bottom of the front of the trailer with a fuse hooked to it.

As you can see, the negative from the battery is grounded to the frame on the right side of the photo. Am I correct in assuming this hanging white wire here is supposed to be connected to the frame and is probably the reason my truck keeps giving me these messages? TIA

7 REPLIES 7

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the update, always nice to know the outcome.

BBB196
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to post a follow up for anyone who looks up this thread in the future. Cleaning the connectors didn't do anything. I ended up having to take my camper in for service on an unrelated issue so I had them look at this problem as well.

They told me there was a loose wire on the trailer brakes which was causing the issue. Several camping trips later it hasn't happened again so I guess they were right.

BBB196
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses guys, I appreciate it. I did determine those extra wires are for the solar charging port. I will try cleaning the connectors and hope that helps the issue. I guess I need to get under the trailer also and check the wires on the brakes.

stallsmi
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same issue with a F250. With trailer wheels removed, they found brake wire insulation had worn and shorted out.

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
Try some electrical cleaner on both truck and cord connection. I had the same problem. I now put some dielectric grease every now and then. Haven't had any more problem.

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Those 2 wires look same as mine, 2019 Coleman 17RD, may be for the solar charging. At the front passenger side of the trailer, there's a square receptacle with a lid about 3 feet above floor level, open it and there's a round plug inside. That's where the exterior solar wires are supposed to go. The white and blue get hooked to the battery. Why Coleman did that is beyond me, just hook the solar up through the controller and then to the battery. Simple test, use an ohm meter on the blue wire to the receptacle I spoke of.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
1. Trace the wires to see where they go.

2. Edit your post and put width=640 just before the closing {/img}.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB