cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone get stranded with the new def error codes? 105 miles to derate?

td1837
Explorer II
Explorer II

I was in the middle of Nebraska and got a derate message on dash- 105 miles to 5mph- take to dealer! I was towing a big trailer on a sunday and this happened after I filled up def tank at a truck stop. No dealer around for miles and none open on sunday! What to do??? I pulled into a walmart and spent the night hoping to find a dealer monday am. Got back on road monday am and message disappeared...???  Anyone have a clue what happened? This was on a 2018 Ram with 35k miles. Now I got 45k miles and this has not happened again...guess bad def from truck stop? I now use only the premium def from walmart now, never from a truck stop. 

2 REPLIES 2

td1837
Explorer II
Explorer II

I did drive the truck start/stop @ 5 times sunday night. Went to auto parts store and used their code reader, nothing came up??? Still had derate msg. Pretty crappy how EPA requires mfgs to derate diesels if a def problem pops up in the middle of nowhere. After much internet searching, found out that you NEVER fill def tank all the way up, do not use truck stop def, and use premium def! And dont travel on sunday when dealers are closed, as they are the ONLY ones able to clear the problem.

MNtundraRet
Navigator
Navigator

It looks like the def at the tuck stop worked. It just took time for the truck def indicator to read right. The message might have disappeared sooner if you had started the engine sooner than Monday morning. 

Mark & Jan "Old age & treachery win over youth & enthusiasm"
2003 Fleetwood Jamboree 29