cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Snow on solar panels clean off or not?

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I finally put a roof mount solar panel on my TC roof with a temporary mount until summer when I can do it right..We got a bunch of snow last night and was wondering the proper way to care for roof mount solar panels on the snow...

Best way to care for the panels in the snow?
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04
10 REPLIES 10

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
Simple -- Move to Arizona!!!!!! :B :B :B
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocreek,

I use a leaf blower. Be prepared to have snow inside your coat.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Squeegee or push broom, either one will work just fine.

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
Itinerant1 wrote:
If you need the power clean them off if not don't worry about it.

As a full-time user living off solar/ batteries I clean my off in the morning. Becareful up there if ging on the roof. That fall could hurt.

What's the best thing to use to do it?..I was going to use a soft shop broom but decided to ask first not wanting to damage the surface....

I use an extendable squiggie for cleaning roof, slides and panels.

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
remove snow from panels

A few ways and opinions but it's always nice to hear actual experiences from the common Joe that's tried different ways or has a way that works and hasn't scratched or hurt the panel in any way..Snow is a common thing here in Central Idaho..

Thanks
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
remove snow from panels
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Itinerant1 wrote:

As a full-time user living off solar/ batteries I clean my off in the morning. Becareful up there if ging on the roof. That fall could hurt.

What's the best thing to use to do it?..I was going to use a soft shop broom but decided to ask first not wanting to damage the surface....
Lance 9.6
500ah Lifep04

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want them to produce power, snow will kill off most of the output.

If it's just in storage, I wouldn't mess with it.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Itinerant1
Explorer
Explorer

12v 500ah, 20 cells_ 4s5p (GBS LFMP battery system). 8 CTI 160 watt panels (1,280 watts)2s4p,Panels mounted flat. Magnum PT100 SCC, Magnum 3012 hybrid inverter, ME-ARC 50. Installed 4/2016 been on 24/7/365, daily 35-45% DOD 2,500+ partial cycles.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would image the snow will melt fast if the sun is out. If not, the only reason to brush off the snow is if you the panel to produce power.