cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question on Coleman 100W Solar Panel "open circuit" voltage

Dirtdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I have what looks to be a Coleman 100W Solar Panel with a 30 amp Coleman controller in the trailer. It doesn't really charge my batteries, so I checked the open circuit voltage coming off the panel and it's under 13 Volts DC (This is when I remove the leads from the panel to the controller). I can not find a spec for the solar panel open voltage, but most other panels say it should be greater than 20 volts open circuit. Is it a fair guess the panel is shot? The controller rarely shows the indicator light it's charging, but does show the voltage of the battery.
Mike
11 REPLIES 11

Dirtdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Sounds like a short. A shorted bypass diode would not change the amps, assuming multiple diodes.

I'm not sure what the bypass diode(s) function are. I assume they are in the panel, so i'm going to do some googling on the subject. Thanks for the tip to you and Jim.
Mike

Dirtdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
Well I have never seen this phenomenon...hahahaaa.
Spec ISC and low Voc.. Like a bypass diode shorted but why is the ISC at spec. Going to have to see if there is an answer from someone else or join the Northern Arizona solar elect forum... I am a member over there. If you get no answer and can not become a member when I get some free time next week I will ask over there.

Jim

https://forum.solar-electric.com/

Thanks for the help! Looks like an interesting forum, I went ahead and signed up
Mike

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like a short. A shorted bypass diode would not change the amps, assuming multiple diodes.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hopefully it's not held down with Z brackets.

Bob

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
Well I have never seen this phenomenon...hahahaaa.
Spec ISC and low Voc.. Like a bypass diode shorted but why is the ISC at spec. Going to have to see if there is an answer from someone else or join the Northern Arizona solar elect forum... I am a member over there. If you get no answer and can not become a member when I get some free time next week I will ask over there.

Jim

https://forum.solar-electric.com/
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Dirtdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
bigfootford wrote:
With most DVM's, set the meter to 10 amps and move the lead to the 10 amp position. If you do not you will blow the internal protection fuse for the lower amp readings.

Jim.
Thanks Jim, so I just checked the current using the 10 amp position on the DMM and I read close to 6 Amps (see picture). When I read the open circuit voltage it's 12.8VDC. This is with the panel disconnected from the controller. The current looks fine but the voltage is not high enough to get the controller to charge the battery more than a few milliamps even when the battery is under 12 volts. It's almost like this solar panel has a built-in regulator of its own. I can not see underneath it to read the specifications or brand, so i will have to remove it.
Mike

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
With most DVM's, set the meter to 10 amps and move the lead to the 10 amp position. If you do not you will blow the internal protection fuse for the lower amp readings.

Jim.
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

Dirtdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
So just one last question. I just want to confirm that the " Isc (short circuit) " test you put an AMP meter between the positive and negative leads of the panel while it's disconnected from the controller. I wanted to double check because this really is short circuiting the solar panel and i don't want to do a smoke test on it ๐Ÿ™‚

Edit: while it's in full sun
Mike

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Might just not be enough sun but I tend to agree you need a new panel.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Dirtdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
Are you using a digital meter with the panel in full sun? Voc (open circuit) and Isc (short circuit) are 2 basic checks for panel. A 100W 12V panel should have about Voc=18V+ and Isc=3A+.

Thanks for the response! Yes, i'm using a digital meter (Fluke) and the panel was in full sun. I haven't tried to short it yet and read the current
Mike

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Are you using a digital meter with the panel in full sun? Voc (open circuit) and Isc (short circuit) are 2 basic checks for panel. A 100W 12V panel should have about Voc=18V+ and Isc=3A+.

Bob