cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power converter fried

2000flair
Explorer
Explorer
The power converter on my 2000 flair (inteli power 9100 45A) started tripping the breaker and ended up dying (when i test with a multimeter it shows shorting).
I checked all the wires going to the breaker panel and nothing seems problematic. I removed the unit and connected the rig to the shore power and it looks lime everything is working normally.
I am looking for a replacement so i have several questions:

1. Can i still use the RV without it while the replacement part arrives?
2. Do i have to use the same model or can i order a different one?
3. Is there anything else i should be checking to make sure the new one is not damaged when i install it?

Any pointers will be much appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12

2000flair
Explorer
Explorer
@BarabooBob good points, i guess seeing how experienced people are in the forum can be a but intimidating if like me, one has very superficial knowledge of rv mechanics and their electrical components.
I guess we were naรฏve when we bought this rig 3 years ago. We didnโ€™t pay a lot for it but we should have guessed there were some issues with it beyond it being old. So far weโ€™ve had fixed the park brake, AC (new compressor and condenser rebuild, new battery and alternator, replacing some parts on the steering system, manifold exhaust leak, and now this among a few other things.
We do love driving around in it and plan on replacing it with something a but smaller and more recent (and in better shape i hope)
Thanks!!

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes and yes. The batteries should charge while you are driving. And you do hook up the positive to one battery and the negative to the other battery. And those are not dumb questions. A dumb question would be: "Can I pet the bison and grizzley bears at Yellowstone?"
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would upgrade to the PD-9200. It has built in charge Wizard\.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

2000flair
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all again, as you can see, I'm very new to all this and your help is really helpful and appreciated.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi flair,

Often the house bank will do minimal charging while driving. The alternator "sees" the starter battery and cuts back on the rate of charging (for the house bank).

If best results are wanted then add a dc to DC charger. I love mine.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes the battery should charge some while driving. Verify the voltage jumps up some with the engine running.

Cross connecting the charger is fine but not critical for temporary use.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Agreed with the above. Hook the positive to the positive terminal that goes to the coach. Hook the negative to the negative terminal that goes to the coach.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Answer in SOLID LETTER CAPS.

2000flair wrote:
Do the house battery (in my case 2 batteries wired in series) charge while driving? YES, IF YOUR SYSTEM IS WORKING AS DESIGNED.

Second, when i plug the battery charger, do i hook it up the positive of the first battery and the negative of the second one?
Thanks again.HOOK THE POSITIVE TO THE POSITIVE WITH THE CABLE GOING TO THE COACH. SAME FOR NEGATIVE-- TO THE CABLE GOING TO COACH GROUND.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

2000flair
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great advise, Iโ€™ll borrow a charger for the weekend and hopefully the new converter will get here soon.
A small - probably dumb - question. Do the house battery (in my case 2 batteries wired in series) charge while driving?
Second, when i plug the battery charger, do i hook it up the positive of the first battery and the negative of the second one?
Thanks again.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III

Short answer yes. but you need a way to recharge the house battery. My solution was a Deltran Battery Tender. the big one (not the maintenance unit) this one has 2-20-70 amp output.. (70 is for jump starting a car) hook it up and it goes into 20 amp mode when the battery is full it goes to 2 amp... NOTE I had to reset it a few times before I got the replacement part 3 days later.. There are many "Smart" Car battery chargers out there.. No need to get the same one I got.. Just make sure it's a "Smart" type.

No. Though I did. the reason I did was 2 fold. ONE> When you got the best ignore the rest and the Progressive Dynamics 9100 series WITH optional charge wizard. None better.. Two.. By making a very slight adjustment to my route.. Progressive Dynamics was "on the way" (I went to the factory and got a rebuilt)... (Used to live about 20 miles away). But I'd suggest the PD 9200 (Built in wizard) With or without optional dongle if your converter is a stand alone or the 4600 if it is built into the power distribution panel (Again dongle is optional.. Most do not need it).

3. Is there anything else i should be checking to make sure the new one is not damaged when i install it?

well I'm wondering why the converter works outside the RV but trips breakers inside... It may be the wire that connects the converter to the Breaker or it may be a hot to case short in the converter... Either are easily fixed.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
1) yes. Portable battery charger with 5+ amps rating should get you through. Direct on the battery. No need to disconnect anything.
2) OK to change models however the PD9145 is an excellent converter. Get the wizard controller with the replacement or a PD9245 with the controller built in.
3) Check the battery is in good shape. Also post if any battery or other service has been recently done that could have caused the converter issue. Also verify there is nothing blocking airflow around the converter.

https://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9245C-45-Amp-RV-ConverterCharger

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
2000flair wrote:

Yes but the battery needs to be charged.

2000flair wrote:

Similar one. You may want to increase the amperage a bit.

If you boondock consider an inverter/charger.

2000flair wrote:

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.