cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Electrical short!!

Stewy6907
Explorer
Explorer

Plugged my Aerolite in to shore power and shorted out my camper. Some things work, but tv, microwave and one outlet aren’t working. All fuses and breakers have been checked. Does that mean those items are just fried?

5 REPLIES 5

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator

Yes is your shore power cord 50 (4 prongs) or 30 (3 prongs) amps? If 50 amp you might have lost one leg of power. A 50 amp into a 30 amp (3 prongs) campground outlet might suggest a bad or fried adapter.
If 30 amp plugged into a 30 amp pedestal I would start looking again at your breakers. Also it's possible a GFCI outlet is tripped and these items are downstream of that and therefore affected as well. Can you unplug your microwave and plug it in to a known good outlet using an extension cord? That will tell you if the Microwave is fried or if the outlet lost power.

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad

Is your rig a 30 or 50 amp shore power?

Are you using any adapters?  A bad adapter could cause issues on a 50-amp connection.

What is shore power voltage and amperage receptacle.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Have you checked the GFCI's?

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II

What do you mean by "shorted out your camper"? What happened when you plugged into shore power? When was the last time everything worked OK?

Which appliances / outlets using shore power still work?

It could be as simple as a loose wire.

2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Easiest to plug tv into a known good 120v source out of the camper. If it works, great, if not, could be fried. Could also check micro same way, if easily moved? Having a protective device between power source and camper cord a good investment. Another handy tool, is a digital multi-meter, to check power source before plugging camper cord in.