cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need some help on a solar issue

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
So we have a new 2016 AF 990. Ordered the factory 100 watt solar option. I keep the camper on my truck and store in a pole barn. So yesterday I had the unit out of storage to clean and load. All went went. When I took back to the barn last night I heard a shrill whistle sound and dismissed this due to the high wind figuring it was an edge of barn siding causing the noise.
So today I bring it home to work on some more. When I take it back, I hear the same shrill whistle again, but no wind. So I walk around and the unit and for sure it is coming from the AF. Drivers side, about midway from front to back. I then decide to open the back door and for sure...it is coming from inside. So I move the slide out and it is coming from the Zamp Solard Charge Controller. I messed around wit this and that and nothing changed. I pulled the truck back out of the barn and the noise quits. I figured this as I didn't hear it all day as I worked around it.
So only when inside the barn does this sound go off. Suggestions on what to do next? We are to go camping this weekend but if it does this at night, there is no way we will be able to tolerate the alarm sound.
Thanks in advance for your input.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited
16 REPLIES 16

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Nope fpoole, right at the connection to the battery.
2016 AF 990
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
under the sink?
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Ding Ding Ding....we have a winner....Almot guessed it right! Thanks!!
So it was loose wire from solar to battery. Actually it was a bad crimp so the wire pulled out. Now the other good news is my batterys are not drained down. They were fully charged. I do have a battery indicator separate from the solar control. I appreciate everyone's help.
2016 AF 990
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mattyd wrote:
1) my batteries are not being charged by the shore power and/or 2) there is a pretty good drawn going on.

3) Bad connection btw battery and solar controller.

With that basic controller you should at least have an independent voltmeter for battery. Tell your friend electrician to install $13 battery monitor. It tells you amps, volts and AH drawn from the battery.

And, while he is at it, ask him to install a loads Off switch as well. In some rigs there is already such a switch. You don't want any loads when camper is in storage.

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Well make sure you check out the wiring below the sink. Pull on them just to be sure. That was my problem. Zamp checked out okay after thinking that was the problem. Good luck.
Frank Poole
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at the battery connections to make sure they aren't all oxidized?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I failed to mention that I have had the camper plugged in to 30 amp shore power while in the barn the whole time. So maybe since the only battery charge level indicator is with the Zamp unit, my problem is not with my solar at all but rather 1) my batteries are not being charged by the shore power and/or 2) there is a pretty good drawn going on. I hope to get down and mess around with it more tomorrow night. I have a friend who is an electrician going to stop past. I did check the Zamp manual but it was not much help. Any more suggestions - send them on. Thanks.
2016 AF 990
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
What 9-er said.

And plug the battery into some 120V maintainer if storage is 2 months or longer.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
pull it out of the barn for a few days and into direct sunlight and let the solar panel do it's job and recharge your battery fully.

If you are going to pull into the barn, you are going to need to disconnect the solar panel first from the controller, and then the battery completely in a fully charged state, or install cut off switches for both. What you hear sounds more like a low battery alarm.

When it doubt, read the owners manual for the Zamp charge controller.

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Just as a start; I'd disconnect the battery and solar panel. Check the battery voltage, if OK, reconnect battery and then panel. Maybe the controller has somehow set itself up for a 24 volt battery.

Doug

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
I dunno, are you able to plug (110v) it in to charge the batteries...
It sounds like it trying to charge the batteries, but being in the barn can't and the batteries are critical Low...? Something might be draining them? or, as it says, not connected, but shouldn't be causing the alarm to go off. Panels stop charging when night comes and the alarms don't go off..

If that makes any sense...
Just rambling here, trying to remember what mine was.. but my controller was going knutts... reading 12.5 on moment and then not the next... it was a loose connection so maybe that's it..

Loose connection under the sink... the wire kept making contact, then wouldn't...

Take it in...
Frank Poole
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if this helps ...about an hour later I returned to the barn. The alarm is still going off. So I pull it out of the barn, the alarm stops. The screen on the controller is flashing 601. The Charing Status light is constantantly on and the Low Battery light is flashing which according to the manual indicates "Solar Power Present - No Battery Conneted".
2016 AF 990
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
If you can't get it fixed prior to your trip, a solution for the short term is to pull the positive solar charge wire off the battery.

Always disconnect the solar panel from the controller before you disconnect the battery.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
If the alarm is sounding, the digital display should be flashing telling what the problem is.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.