Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I keep popping the GFI plug when I plug into shore power

RockBottomRacin
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys,

I got a 1995 Fleetwood Elkhorn 11X TC, she's been sitting a while and threw a new battery in her today to start checking her out. I had 12 volt everywhere and everything works (for some reach the 12 volt on my fridge didn't). I decided to plug into shore power and check my AC and my fridge that way but it sparked while plugging in and instantly popped my GFI plug in my garage. I personally replaced the plug last year with a good one and I've had my toy hauler plugged in with no issues and on the same medium duty extension cord. I'm running a Magnetek 6332 Converter/Power center combo. My good extension cord won't reach any other plugs so I haven't tried yet. I started by shutting off the main breaker in the camper and trying again, same thing, pops the GFI instantly when I plug it in even with the main breaker off. Next step I'm going to pull all the 12 volt fuses and see if it does it again and if not start putting fuses back in 1 by 1 til I find the fuse that trips the GFI again. Any one have any advice or ever experienced this?

Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
A Scotch-Loc brand wire nuts are often times hard to remove when necessary.
I've had cheep wire nuts fall off while pushing the wires into the electrical box right after putting them on.

RockBottomRacin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the responses guys, this forum is freakin rad!

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Yup wire nuts can literally back off and unscrew overtime from getting hot and cooling down cycle after cycle after cycle.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Rock Bottom, I'm just down the row from you at AVRVS, space 177. I'll be out to Simi one day this week. If you haven't solved the problem by then and you're home, I'd be happy to drop by and take a look with you. Pm
M ME.

Either way, It would seem that your GFCI outlet is good and so it seems is yourextention cord. I'm with the suggestion that you disconnect the circuit from the male connector to the main. Wgriswold gave you a good starting point.

Sometimes starting at the beginning takes more time but it is usually fool proof.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

road-runner
Explorer III
Explorer III
If the GFCI pops with the main breaker off, it could be a problem is the shore power cord, or could be a neutral-to-ground fault in any of the circuits beyond the breaker panel. To locate the problem, the only way I know of is to disconnect the neutral wires from their bus bar to isolate which circuit the fault is in. If you're ok messing with the wiring in the panel, ok, otherwise find somebody who knows what to do.
2009 Fleetwood Icon

wgriswold
Explorer
Explorer
The same thing happened to me with my 2001 trailer. The problem was the connection where the shore power cord connected to the trailer. It was in a junction box and the connections were with twist on wire connectors. One of the wire connectors had worked loose and the connection was bad and the wires had burned back about one inch.

I cut the wire back and reconnected with a new twist on connector and wrapped the connection with electrical tape so it would not come loose again.

I learned in my boating days that twist connectors are a bad idea in vibrating environments. I should have used a more robust connection but didn't have time.
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
Arctic Fox 25Y

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Open the AC circuit breaker panel inside the RV

OPEN Every Circuit Breaker inside the panel

Try plugging in to shore power....
IF GFCI trips then it is the 'adapter', the extension cord, the RV Power Cord or incoming wiring going to the RV Power Panel (mice/squirrels LOVE chewing on the wire insulation)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

RockBottomRacin
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great informative responses you guys! I went out and unplugged the fridge from the access panel, reset main breaker in the camper and shut it off, still pops the GFI instantly. I saw the response that if it's popping with the main camper breaker off that it's got to be the cord, so I retried with my other extension cord and same result. So am I to understand the RV cord is looking to be the culprit? I read online that it could also be the charger on the converter. I already have the link saved for the upgrade kit for my converter, not scared, just trying to get to the lake in a few weeks and still need to buy my tiedowns so don't wanna spend money I don't need to lol

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First I'd upgrade that Magnetek to a Progressive Dynamics (Just the electroncs in back of the fuse/breaker panel. 4600 Series at PD)

Next: a GFCI is not current sensitive in the manner of a circuit breaker. Just as I got back from Church and shopping today power "Blinked" one of my A/C's tripped the circuit breaker as it was trying to re-start with a full head of pressure. I re-set it after it had time to bleed down a bit and all is fine.

That breaker tripped because that A/C can draw over 20 amps stalled compressor.

Circuit breakers however are like a balanced teeter totter. Perfectly balanced neither end touches down .. The GFCI measures current in both the black and white (not and neutral) legs. and so long as they are balanced.. It just sits there and observes. (passes current) but if either end "Touches down" (If the current in one let is even slightly higher than the other CLICK and shut off.

So fast you won't even have time to feel the shock

The sparking when you polug in.. Normal believe it or not.

The tripping of the GFCI. not

TUrn off all breakers inside the RV. now plug in and also if it's a duplex outlet plug in a drop lamp or other light you can see WHILE at the breaker panel.

If it does not trip. Great
Turn on first the MAIN breaker.
then one at a time turn breakers on till the light goes off.
Identify the last breaker you turned on.. Turn it back off. Reset the GFCI (light back on) and continue till you have tried EVERY breaker. the breaker(s) that turn off the light. Report what they are.

Some converters (I DO NOT KNOW IF YOURS IS AMONG THEM) will trip a GFCI if the batteries need charging.. Others (SAME QUALIFIER) if they are full. Some all the time and some never (Again Same qualifier all 4 times)

I only know for sure ONE and .. that's a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with Charge Wizard. I assume other PD's (Does not trip GFCI) but I'm only 100% sure of ONE. and that.. of course.. is about 25 feet from where I"m sitting.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Your ground fault or short has nothing to do with the 12v fuses so don't bother with them. Sparking sounds like a short to ground. If you have the camper main off when it sparked it has to be in the cord.
You don't need a heavy extension cord to trouble shoot a ground fault or short. Even a light duty one will work if you have it.
You either have a neutral touching ground causing a ground fault or a hot wire touching ground causing a short. A direct hot to neutral short would not trip the GFI but would trip your circuit breaker feeding the outlet.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
If you accidentally turned on the water heater electric while it was empty, the element burned out and will cause a ground fault. Make sure the heater is off and try again.

This one caused me hours of frustration.
RVing since 1995.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, MAGNATEK became PARALLAX quite a few years ago. My (2001) MAGNATEK was failing, so doing quick research, found PARALLAX. The difference (size and weight) was astounding. Old tech vs new tech. Large and heavy to small and light.
So light that I didn't use mounting screws. 1 strip of Velcro to hold it on the shelf.

Again....FWIW.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
RockBottomRacing wrote:
Also, would it still be the fridge even though I'm plugging it in with the main breaker off?

Yes, it could be. Ground faults are between neutral and ground. The breaker only disconnects the hot wire.

Thereโ€™s no guarantee itโ€™s the fridge but since it plugs in and a common failure, itโ€™s super easy to eliminate it.

RockBottomRacin
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
You have a ground fault. Nothing to do with the 12 volt system.
Call me. I can help.

Hey Jerry, that's awesome of you to offer to talk to me and help. Are you sure it's not too late? 11:30 here where I am lol just don't want to be a bother when you're offering help ๐Ÿ™‚

My extension cord ran a grinder yesterday and a sawzall the day before, I did test the cord though and ran my air compressor off it and had no problems at all, worked great. I will unplug the fridge tomorrow and test that. I have an awning that's in the way of the cover for the back of the fridge and it's a real pain so I'll tackle that in the morning when I can actually see lol.

Also, would it still be the fridge even though I'm plugging it in with the main breaker off?