cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Finally got to test solar system install

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Back before the Covid panic the Grandson and I installed two 100w 12v panels and controller. I got everything from Windy Nation except the mounting feet. I used Happy Feet instead.

Well Covid came and we were stuck at home for awhile and the system was keeping the batts at 13.8 during the bright sunshine and at 13.4 resting.

Finally got away sept 27 through Oct 5. Never used the generator for charging. Wife needed it to defrost somefood and to curl her hair. We did drive 25 miles from Morro Bay to San Simeon, watched a movie everynight, two episodes of 3rd Rock and some news every day. We only had one full day of sunshine due to smoke and medium to heavy fog part or all day the whole time.

Anyone want to buy a Deltran solar battery minder, I no longer needit.

I'm thinking 2 more panels just because 180 bucks for them is cheap. The feet, wire and connectors will be at least 100 bucks more but it's worth it.

Never thought we would get so excited about solar but we sure are.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
3 REPLIES 3

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
You can cover those exposed wires on the roof with some white wire loom plastic tubes with the slits in them. Prevent UV damage down the road.

obiwancanoli
Explorer
Explorer
D.E.Bishop wrote:
Back before the Covid panic the Grandson and I installed two 100w 12v panels and controller. I got everything from Windy Nation except the mounting feet. I used Happy Feet instead.

Well Covid came and we were stuck at home for awhile and the system was keeping the batts at 13.8 during the bright sunshine and at 13.4 resting.

Finally got away sept 27 through Oct 5. Never used the generator for charging. Wife needed it to defrost somefood and to curl her hair. We did drive 25 miles from Morro Bay to San Simeon, watched a movie everynight, two episodes of 3rd Rock and some news every day. We only had one full day of sunshine due to smoke and medium to heavy fog part or all day the whole time.

Anyone want to buy a Deltran solar battery minder, I no longer needit.

I'm thinking 2 more panels just because 180 bucks for them is cheap. The feet, wire and connectors will be at least 100 bucks more but it's worth it.

Never thought we would get so excited about solar but we sure are.

Don't forget to consider replacing your Solar Controller with one that has the capacity to accept additional wattage down the road... typical set up usually includes a 30A controller, but that will only handle around 500 watts... I have 480 watts of solar on my roof, thinking of adding more, and just installed a new 100A controller, more than adequate for future needs...

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got into the same catch 22 here as well. Have not got to go camping in a few years now due to health issues with both Me and the Wife. I had just purchased my two groups of 6VDC batteries and have them setup on my work bench... I have been making sure they are staying charged up. They are not being used however under any load...

I am thinking now I should go ahead with my solar panel plans which was installing three 120Watt panels on my trailer roof with one on each side of my roof window... Then another solar across the rear of the roof between the roof mounted air conditioner and the rear of roof...

I will use the aluminum Unistrut to mount the panels...

At least I could be using my POPUP TRAILER Panels to feed my radio room here at the house while not being camping off grid somewhere...

My big battery bank sure is not doing much good just sitting on my work table haha...

I have a second 10WATT small solar panel on the other end of the battery box. One for trickle charging each 12VDC battery banks...

This was to be mounted on my trailer tongue area replacing my three 12VDC batteries currently being used...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS