cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic Refrigerator gas smell

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
We noticed that our Dometic DM2652RBX was venting propane when starting or operating from the wall mounted outside vent while camping last week. It seems to run well, but it has a clear smell of a propane leak when running.

I am going to start by trying to see if it is a bad igniter first, then I guess the gas valve would be the next stop.

Any better ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,

Steve
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First propane has no smell. it is odorless.. Thus for non-industrial (And even most industrial) they add an odorant to it so you can smell a leak.

Normally the heat of the flame destroys this chemical but there are several things that can cause that to not happen.

ONE: it can "Settle" into the bottom of the tank and as the tank approaches empty.. You smell it.
Two: OPPS we added too mucn
Three: Flame out of adjustment not hot enough.

Of course those are rare.. Most common is a leak.. One thing you can do is look and listen as the Fridge fires up Does it light promptly on the first try or does it take two or three attempts (I think it makes 3 before if says FAULT)

And inspect the flame.. I'm afraid I can't accuratly describe a clean flame. But Yellow or smokey.. NOT GOOD.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
I've had a similar issue with any propane appliance when the lp tank was getting low and starting to draw the mercaptans(I think that's what it's called) from the tank. this stuff can get more concentrated as the tank is low on propane.

I think ernie1 wins the cigar!

We have never run our propane empty before this trip. I think I just lost track of how many trips we had on the two tanks and on day 3 of this trip we started noticing propane smell under the awning when were sitting there. Not all the time, but periodically. At first I thought it was just normal gas dispersion when the fridge ignited in its normal cycle. But it was too pronounced as time went on. Then we ran completely dry on propane later that day.

I have two full tanks onboard now and there is no sign of leaks testing with a spray bottle. The electrode/igniter sparks right off and the gas burner fires right up. No propane smell drifting around like before.

I'll spray every fitting I can find once more just to be sure, but I think this was just a new fluke for me.

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
I've had a similar issue with any propane appliance when the lp tank was getting low and starting to draw the mercaptans(I think that's what it's called) from the tank. this stuff can get more concentrated as the tank is low on propane.

Interesting. That was the condition our tanks were in. They ran dry the next day.

I'll be jumping into this tomorrow morning and hope to find something.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Before you can begin to problem solve further, you need to know what is going on when the fridge lights.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

FootSoldier
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimers wrote:
Soapy water in a spray bottle...

Lots of spray, no bubbles yet. So it makes me wonder if there is no leak at a fitting, but instead the valve dispensing gas when called for, but not getting an ignition?

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
Soapy water in a spray bottle...
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic