cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 2862 refrigerator at 9200' elevation...any issues?

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2015 Dometic 2862 refrigerator (propane/electric) in my 23' Class C RV. I was recently camping (boondocking) at elevation for 5 nights. At 6000' and level it worked fine. At 8200' it worked fine. The next night, I was at 9200' (maybe as high as 9500') for 24hrs camping and in the morning the refrigerator/freezer were warm (freezer at 35F and fridge at 55F). Outside temps were ~40F at night and 65F during the day. During this 24hr period at ~9200', the RV was parked off level, front to rear of the RV which was side to side for the refrigerator. The campsite was very remote/small and had a slope to it (the front of the RV was higher than the rear of the RV). I put all the leveling blocks under the rear wheels that I could. I think I probably would have needed another 4-5 inches higher on the rear to make it mostly level. To give you an idea about the slope, I was able to sleep in the rear bed (which faces rear to front, not side to side) with my head at the rear which had me sleeping slightly sloped downward (ie. blood flowing to my head) and it didn't bother me terribly. I've heard the expression/generalization, "If it is comfortable enough to sleep in (level-wise), then it probably isn't far enough out of level for the refrigerator to not work properly".

Here is a pic of the RV parked...

So my question is this: Do these refrigerators have a hard time working properly above a certain elevation? (9200'+)
Or do you think it was just too out of level to function properly? Or perhaps a combination of both?

The next night I was back down to 8200' and level and the refrigerator quickly cooled back to regular temps (5-10F in the freezer, and 33-39F in the fridge). Worked fine the next night at 4000' also.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks!
Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs
4 REPLIES 4

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
From Winnebago. Granted, the LP usage of a refer is minimal compared to a water heater or stove or furnace. But, if your LP regulator is not set to correct pressure, then a high altitude will impact the refer. It will NOT stop cooling, but its performance will be impacted. Doug

"While many people love to use their RV to go on trips to the mountains and other high-altitude locations, it is important to remember that with higher elevations comes some potential concerns for using your liquid propane appliances.

Problems arise because at higher altitudes, air contains less oxygen. For a flame to keep burning, it requires the right mixture of fuel (propane) and air (oxygen). Too much or too little of either and the flame will go out or burn inefficiently. Without a sufficient flame, your appliance won't work properly.

Ways to Combat High-Altitude Issues:
Check for high-altitude adjustments. Your first step should be to consult your operator's manual for instructions on high altitude operation of your specific appliance. This should have warnings and recommendations for usage. For example, some appliances have an adjustable air intake to adjust the air/fuel mixture when necessary. Depending on how high above sea level you are, you may be able to adjust the air intake.
Try a smaller orifice. If your appliance doesn't have an adjustable air intake, you might try a smaller orifice. At high altitude, there is not enough air getting to the appliance to create the right air/fuel mix, usually creating a lazy yellow flame and soot deposits. In this case, a smaller diameter orifice could limit the amount of fuel and create the correct air/fuel mixture.
Get a kit. Some manufacturers provide special "high-altitude kits." Please consult your specific appliance operator's manual or contact the manufacturer of your specific appliance to see if they have a kit available.
RVing is a great way to see many different areas, just make sure you are doing your research and taking the necessary precautions when traveling to places that pose specific challenges. Happy travels!"

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've camped at ten thousand feet in the Uintah mountains of Utah and were surprised that our fridge worked so well.

For what it is worth, DW is very sensitive to non-level parking, so we are always level.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have camped at 9500 feet a lot and we have never had a problem. I believe being out of level by that much was the problem.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Elevation WILL affect the BTU's of the LP function
Out of correct level WILL affect operation of the cooling unit system. So, you have 2 anomaly's that are causing a problem. Doug