cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Catastrophic Fuse

1L243
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had my Solar setup for almost a year now. 500 watts on the roof (maybe more in the future), 2000 watt inverter, 340ah lead acid battery bank. The largest amperage items I run are my microwave and drip coffee maker. Everything works as it should

I installed a 250amp ANL fuse 5 feet from the batteries before the inverter or positive fuse block.

I am using 2.0 cable for the jumpers between the batteries and 4.0 cable to the inverter and positive fuse block.

I did not install a Catastrophic fuse at the primary positive battery terminal. Should I? And Why?
2017 Coleman 300tq by Dutchman Toy Hauler. 34.5 feet long and under 10k Gross. 500 watt Solar 2000 watt Inverter, 1999 Ford F250 2WD 7.3 4R100 DP Tuner, S&B Cold Air Intake, Gauges, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Air Bags.
7 REPLIES 7

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Why different size wire ? Stick with one size. There are people on eBay that will custom make battery cables. You choose the wire size, color, type if end and length.

https://www.customcableusa.com/

(Used to be called Genuinedealz.com)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Since DC travels from - to +, I would think the fuse should be on the battery -
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
The fuse was apparently installed at the wrong end of the battery cable. Swap that fuse and cable end to end. The risk is a short to ground at some point along that 5' connection.

Like time2roll said, the fuse should always be as close as possible to the battery.

Why different size wire ? Stick with one size. There are people on eBay that will custom make battery cables. You choose the wire size, color, type if end and length.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
The fuse was apparently installed at the wrong end of the battery cable. Swap that fuse and cable end to end. The risk is a short to ground at some point along that 5' connection.

Yep.

With the fuse located right at the battery post, all of the cable beyond that point is protected.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Catastrophic failure fuse always at the battery post (I chose positive).

Why? Because they used to use batteries to weld. 1200 watts of energy being dumped in a second is enough for a quite nice fire and just for good measure the battery may explode. A fine thing to have hot acid all over.

This is an IMPORTANT and easy fix. I would make the change asap.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
one cat fuse is enough
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman