cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Accu Slide - Need Help Please! Does not seem right!

Camper0414
Explorer
Explorer
Our cable on our Accu Slide hopped off the pulley and frayed the cable. The pulley bracket bent so now we needed the cable and bracket. We called for parts and the pulley bracket is on back order however, we found the cable. We decided to hire someone to come help make the best of a bad situation. We are a few thousand miles away from home so we did what we thought was best. Because of the bent bracket the entire system had to be removed from the wall so they could try to flatten the bracket. They were able to get the bracket flat and they put the new cable on. As he was leaving he thanked us for allowing him to learn! This was his first SLIDEOUT system!!We now have Accu Slide cables that do not seem to be at the correct tension. But we are not sure!
Now we have a new issue.
WHEN THE SLIDEOUT IS COMPLETELY IN. The cables are tight and only have a small movement. The chains are very loose.
WHEN THE SLIDEOUT STARTS TO OPEN. The cable stay tight and the chains tighten also.
WHEN THE SLIDEOUT IS ALL THE WAY OUT. The cables on the outside are loose.
WHEN THE SLIDEOUT STARTS TO GO IN. The cables tighten and it travels in.
WHEN THE SLIDEOUT IS ALMOST IN. The cables seem to loosen before they go out of sight.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciate!
Kim
8 REPLIES 8

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can download the install/operations manual from Accu-Slide and measure the play.. The cables or chains should be "Slightly" loose (Just what that means I do not know) else when the weather changes they can become way too tight.

On the other hand too loose the chain can jump on the gear.. You will know beyond a doubt if that happens.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
I did mine with the slide out then checked tension with slide in. Cycled several times then fine tune adjusted then used Locktite blue on the adjustment nuts.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Camper0414
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you so much for all your help! Do we want the slide open or closed when we adjust the slack? The videos look like it is out? We are at a location where we can work on it. You all have gone above and beyond to assist me in my time of panic.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Click this link. Cable driven slides used to be popular years ago(10 to 20 years ago). They are still used on certain RV's even today. They are extremely difficult to repair. Almost impossible on some units. They are VERY labor intensive to repair, especially removing bad cables and running new cables. I will not touch one with bad cable/s for less than 4 hours labor and the hours go up if I find more problems. One thing to do is check your cables monthly. You have to check both extended and retracted. ANY cable that is frayed or starting to fray, get it replaced ASAP. Replacing a cable that has not failed is a lot easier than trying to dig out a broken frayed cable. Doug

https://norcoind.com/bal/downloads/accuslide/accuslide_service-manual.pdf

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
If you are even semi handy you can adjust them yourself. When one of my cables was hanging loose I was sure it was broke so I ordered the cable and the correct tool to cut it and crimp the end on from Amazon. What actually happened on mine was the lock nuts on the adjustment posts came loose and allowed the adjustment nut to loosen up. After getting them adjusted I applied a drop of loctite blue to each nut so that wont happen again, The adjustments are outlined in the service manual. Start HERE and then after reading click on service manual.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
The cables need further adjusting if when fully out or in they are sagging. There are videos on you tube on replacing cables and adjusting proper tension. I believe they are under the title of Bal Accuslide. You may find them by just googling it.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
most help I could give is contact the maker, buy some spare parts. me I,d never buy a rv with a slide,#1 they don,t belong on things that take such a pounding going down the road. #2 there always broke. I,m camping a little ruffing it won,t kill me.

Indeed! And so many things that could wrong.

Just look at the number of posts here with slide issues.

Dodged the bullet myself when I'm about to buy one when the salesman demoed it but the slide got stuck and he had to push it from the outside.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
most help I could give is contact the maker, buy some spare parts. me I,d never buy a rv with a slide,#1 they don,t belong on things that take such a pounding going down the road. #2 there always broke. I,m camping a little ruffing it won,t kill me.