cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp power cord plug replacement

namvet
Explorer
Explorer
I have just replaced the plug on the 50 amp power cord of my rig. I have verified that the legs are wired correctly and that the connections to the lugs of the plug are tight. I have the rig connected, via an extension cord and adapters, to a 20 amp circuit in my garage and only use the power to keep my batteries topped off when not on the road. I have a voltage meter installed inside the rig. After my plug installation, I plugged the extension cord in and went inside the rig to check the voltage in order to verify the installation. I initially got a voltage reading of 120v but suddenly it dropped to 110v. There are no loads connected inside the rig and the 12v load center is turned off. Prior to changing the plug, the voltage meter always read a steady 120v when plugged in to this "shore power" arrangement and have verified that 120v is present at both the garage outlet and at the female end of the extension cord. I can hear the transfer switch engage when I connect the extension cord. When I check the power with the generator running, I get a steady 120v reading. I'm hoping someone can give me an idea what I have done wrong and how to fix it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
2014 Tiffin Allegro
2 Cor 1:8
"We Were Soldiers Once....and Young"
6 REPLIES 6

namvet
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the responses. Dutch_12078 and wa8yxm, I think you have the solution! I checked again this morning in cooler temperatures and the voltage is holding at 120v. I am using a 25 foot 14Ga extension and I think that, in combination with the temperature and possibly the converter drawing extra current for the batteries, caused the drop. It really had be puzzled and, when the engineer in me kicked in, I visualized all sorts of potential problems. Thanks again to all!
Guy
2014 Tiffin Allegro
2 Cor 1:8
"We Were Soldiers Once....and Young"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Maybe your converter/charger is "shifting gears" as the battery charge state changes, increasing the current draw and the voltage drop through the extension cord. What size are the extension cord wires and how long is it?

I agree when my batteries are HUNGRY my converter can suck 1,000 watts, or more (10 amps) and if you have a long 14 Ga Extension cord (some are 16) between the adapters and the outlet.. 10 volts is nothing.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

newlee
Explorer
Explorer
Is your water heater on electric
Dan & Pat Newhall
Central California
2003 Newmar Kountry Star DP 3353
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Toad
1995 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 Toad
1995 Jeep Wrangler Toad (KISA RCK}

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
namvet wrote:
Prior to changing the plug, the voltage meter always read a steady 120v when plugged in to this "shore power" arrangement and have verified that 120v is present at both the garage outlet and at the female end of the extension cord. I can hear the transfer switch engage when I connect the extension cord.

I would take the plug apart and redo all the connections first.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe your converter/charger is "shifting gears" as the battery charge state changes, increasing the current draw and the voltage drop through the extension cord. What size are the extension cord wires and how long is it?
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just need to move the meter up the wire to each connection and see where you lose voltage. Maybe just wiggle and reset the connectors.

However I would first check the common duplex you are plugged into to verify the supply voltage is not sagging. Check with the RV still plugged in.