cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which TPMS system to buy for truck and trailer?

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all, I have an 05 F350 which I will be towing my 24ft toy hauler (double axle)and want to install an aftermarket TPMS kit to monitor tires on my truck and trailer. Anyone try'd any of these? Which kit will not have trouble communicating with the sensors on my trailer?

Thanks and I hope everyone is doing ok and being safe!
33 REPLIES 33

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
The repeater is wired into the 12v system. You could run a dedicated wire from an ignition source all the way at the front of the RV. Or you could hardware it into a constant source which is what I did. When mine is in storage the 12V system is shut down, but if you want you could install a switch in line to shut it off or just pull the fuse. The amp draw is minuscule. It wouldn't drain the battery even after a week or 2 of being left on. I just don't want to keep,it powered up when not needed.

BTW. I took my RV back tomstorage yesterday and with the repeater it kept all the sensors readin on the display, without the repeater the rear would drop out occasionally. I didn't have he car attached so I can't say how well that is, but I didn't see any issues.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Information on the TST web site is very skimpy. Can anyone with a repeater tell me if it is hardwired to the trailer system battery or has its own, or what?

Only thing I can find is that it does not have a user serviceable battery. The info they have is very limited and cryptic, would help to have good info to help people make decisions.

Charles

The repeater/signal boost for my TT500, TireTraker, must be wired to a 12v source. I used the wiring for the bed reading light in the front of my last bumper pull and easily installed it in the front storage compartment in the new 5er. Switched, of course.

Valve cap sensor batteries are easily replaced and the monitor holds a charge for a long time. No wires in the truck cab.
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

DannyA
Explorer
Explorer
I got TST great customer service. Very happy, has saved me big problems a couple of times.
2013 Sabre 290 REDS 5th wheel
2011 F250 Ford diesel

Mark Twain wrote: "Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do...

jcsb
Explorer
Explorer
No matter what brand, make sure you do NOT have rubber stems. THese systems cause greater wind pressure on the stems and they will eventually leak. The good part of this is that your system should notify you of the leak before you loose the tire.
Jim Hunter

RedRollingRoadb
Explorer
Explorer
CharlesinGA wrote:
Information on the TST web site is very skimpy. Can anyone with a repeater tell me if it is hardwired to the trailer system battery or has its own, or what?

Only thing I can find is that it does not have a user serviceable battery. The info they have is very limited and cryptic, would help to have good info to help people make decisions.

Charles

That is what I thought too.

I went with the EZZ. Even though they said I shouldn't need the booster for my 35' Bounder I had two sensors that kept dropping. Replaced the batteries and that didn't fix so I had to spring for the booster.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
RobWNY wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I have the EEZTire brand and it works most of the time but I lose signal sometimes. I have to shut off the monitor and let the sensors reconnect. I've put in brand new batteries and it makes no difference. I would choose a different brand if I was buying them again.

Did you get and install the repeater?

No. Do you think that would solve the issue?

Very possible! I got mine for Christmas. I picked up the RV back in early March. When I brought it back to the storage I used the TPMS but without the repeater. It would drop out randomly. Now this weekend I got the repeater hooked up. Iโ€™ll be taking it back to storage tomorrow and will see if it holds the sensors. Iโ€™m not towing the car yet. But this will be a good test. My repeater is in the LR storage compartment.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

richclover
Explorer
Explorer
msta999 wrote:
Hi all, I have an 05 F350 which I will be towing my 24ft toy hauler (double axle)and want to install an aftermarket TPMS kit to monitor tires on my truck and trailer. Anyone try'd any of these? Which kit will not have trouble communicating with the sensors on my trailer?

I use this one on my flatbed hauling my CanAm and the 5er, a 36โ€™ unit. I installed the signal booster in the front storage compartment and I have never lost the signal.

Good youโ€™re getting a TPMS. A valuable safety tool, IMHO.

https://www.tiretraker.com/products.php?cat=2
Rich
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2021 CanAm Maverick DS Turbo
Southern NV

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
RobWNY wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
I have the EEZTire brand and it works most of the time but I lose signal sometimes. I have to shut off the monitor and let the sensors reconnect. I've put in brand new batteries and it makes no difference. I would choose a different brand if I was buying them again.

Quite possibly. Our TST came with a repeater (installed in the front compartment of the fiver). I've never had a signal drop unless the transmitter battery died.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
RobWNY wrote:

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
msta999 wrote:
Where Iโ€™d you buy it?

Do a search, I bought mine as said on sale at Camping World, I'm thinking they were closing out their older design sensors. They were a great price, and I didn't give up much as far as what they changed. Regardless they are different now on the TST brand. Try Amazon they sell many different brands .

Had a friend buy a system on Amazon that was less than $100, and he got what he paid for. It doesn't always monitor all four tire, always one thats not reading right. IMO I would buy one of the better systems such as TST.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
msta999 wrote:

When I went on a search for TPMS , TST seemed to be the brand to buy , which I did. Lots of brands, some cheaper then others, but I think TST is as good as any, but not the cheapest.

I caught the TST on sale, and was pretty reasonable. They have changed their design on their non flow thru sensors since I bought. The flow thru are the same, but the non flow thru are designed to use with the lock down nut behind them ,same as the flow thru. But the non flow thru spin ,so they can't easily be removed once they are locked down from behind. Regardless its just a deterrent . I personally prefer the non flow thru, less bulky. Removing them is not much different then removing a valve cap.

The nice thing about TPMS ,no need to have to check air pressure. The monitor tells you that. I usually turn the repeater on, and the monitor when I am in the process of hooking up. At a glance I know if the tires are okay. The one thing I did if you chose a system with the repeater like TST come with, I mounted it in the battery compartment of my fifth wheel, but put it on a shutoff switch ,so I can shut it off. They run on the 12 volt system on the fifth wheel or trailer.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you do a search on the forum before posting? This has been discussed dozens of times - if not more. That said, We have used a TireMinder A1A system for five years without any problems. Saved my butt at least twice with early alerts.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

msta999
Explorer
Explorer
Where Iโ€™d you buy it?

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had the Pressure Pro system since 2007. I tow doubles and with the repeater have not had issues with loosing a signal at any position. Very reliable system.